Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using the Sport Chrono/Sport display function.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 12:29 AM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AWay
I'm familiar with the interval timing you refer to. I could handle pushing the stalk forward at the finish line each lap to mark the split time. And then I assume all the splits will be shown at the end? Definitely worth a try.
Turns out I was wrong. You do have to hit the stalk twice. Select the interval option and push the stalk forward each time you want to start a new lap, then push again to confirm. Looks like you have about 5 seconds to confirm, so the second push isn't time critical. You'll see your lap information on the PCM, and you'll be able to review your times at the end of the session.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:09 AM
gstahl
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Reading the most recent info in the owners manual it seems you can set a lap to be a reference lap and record laps against it then download the info. I looks to already use GPS to track your lap. Not sure about auto lapping. Seems worth trying some random closed course to see what one can make it do and what the data is that it spits out.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:33 AM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 74 Posts

That's what had me thinking about 'auto lapping' was the reference lap you can supposedly record/set and compare others against.

Still investigating.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:13 PM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gstahl
Reading the most recent info in the owners manual it seems you can set a lap to be a reference lap and record laps against it then download the info. I looks to already use GPS to track your lap. Not sure about auto lapping. Seems worth trying some random closed course to see what one can make it do and what the data is that it spits out.
Believe me, it does not work that way. A reference lap is one you set by manually marking the start and end using the stalk. You then have to manually mark the end of each ensuing lap using not one, but two pushes on the stalk, one to select "Intermediate Time" and one to select "New Lap" which renders the sytem functionally useless for timing hot laps with any cosnsitencey or accuracy. To my knowledge Sport Chrono makes no use of GPS, even in navigation equipped cars. For what the option costs, it should.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:24 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The interface just SUCKS!

For timing:
One click of the stalk starts timing.
Two clicks stops the lap and starts another.

I don't know but I'm too busy driving...

Perhaps a beacon would be nice!
Old 03-15-2011, 01:44 PM
gstahl
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Can one just leave it run and look at the data later, has anyone tried doing this?
Old 03-15-2011, 01:57 PM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gstahl
Can one just leave it run and look at the data later, has anyone tried doing this?
Nope, it won't have anything recorded. You have to manually set the laps by pushing on the stalk. Once you've set the reference (first) lap, the sport display will show if you are on or off the pace (the circle is displayed in green or orange). It must track your distance travelled in some way or another.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:33 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

We are not F1 drivers, I know, but with all the buttons and levers they have to adjust in corners and as they drive, is it that hard to operate one lever as you cross the start/finish line? Unless the spot you want to mark is at the entrance to a corner, it should not be that hard.. you do have to remember to do it though.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:11 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
is it that hard to operate one lever as you cross the start/finish line?
Yes. It really is. Even if you're not in the middle of a pass it's hard to be consistently accurate. And if you botch it up, it ruins the timing for two laps, not just one.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:23 PM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
We are not F1 drivers, I know, but with all the buttons and levers they have to adjust in corners and as they drive, is it that hard to operate one lever as you cross the start/finish line? Unless the spot you want to mark is at the entrance to a corner, it should not be that hard.. you do have to remember to do it though.
Sounds simple but even during a DE i couldn't do it consistently: 1) push once within 5 seconds of starting line 2) push again at starting line
Old 03-15-2011, 07:36 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by AWay
Yes, I've played with the start/stop/interval etc on the stalk but wasn't sure how to have it record a distance/lap and then time that lap repeatedly. (ie: lapping)

Surely you wouldn't have to activate the stalk every lap would you? I understood it was able to automatically record your laps each time you travel the recorded distance.
actually, you have to do it twice at the end / beginning of each lap.
once to stop timing the current time period
once to initiate timing of the new time period.

flick, flick the stalk with your right hand's fingers as you cross the start / finish line or some other convenient landmark.

make sure you also study your PCM manual for user info.

it's worth figuring out so that you can compare the bar graphs later.

have fun

Craig
Old 03-15-2011, 08:47 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by SkankyFrank
Sounds simple but even during a DE i couldn't do it consistently: 1) push once within 5 seconds of starting line 2) push again at starting line
I would agree. And if you mess up, you mess uo 2 laps! Plus as an intermediate driver I found that it was taxing on my mental resourses and sometimes I travelled off the ideal line while pondering when to hit the f'ing stalk.

I too have heard of Harry's Lap timer, I'd use that next time out. The SC was a good idea badly executed. As for the "in dash" display present lap vs preselected lap, when oh when would you get a chance to view that pray tell? Down the Mulsanne?
Old 03-16-2011, 03:13 AM
csm356
*******philiac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In a DE event, too much with the double push (and you have to hold it for a beat, no?) and therefore inaccurate, I agree. But for a favorite section of road as the manual suggests, it's a fun distraction. I use it commuting. Traffic usually screws it up, but that's part of the fun, finding out if you beat the "reference lap". More of a curiosity/toy than track tool. IMHO, all the other features you get with the SC+ package are what you're buying. Haven't tried it on a T/D rally though. Could be fun. One thing it does do consistently: impresses first-time passengers.

I'm going to give it s go for the first time at an AutoX in a couple weeks, hopefully I'll be practiced enough to stop the clock and just not flash my high beams inexplicably at the timeslip provider.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:59 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
actually, you have to do it twice at the end / beginning of each lap.
once to stop timing the current time period
once to initiate timing of the new time period.

flick, flick the stalk with your right hand's fingers as you cross the start / finish line or some other convenient landmark.

have fun

Craig
Hard to do with the right hand's fingers, the left is more convenient, at least for me!
Old 03-17-2011, 07:59 PM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 74 Posts

Okay so I think I got it pretty well figured out, and it's actually not too difficult!

-Go to the sport display screen and select 'start' trip'. This will be begin recording your trip as soon as you start the chrono.
-Start the chrono when you cross 'the line' which begins recording your first reference lap.
-Move the stalk as to highlight 'interval' but don't push it forward until you're crossing start/finish line.
-Push forward twice on the stalk rapidly. Which records your interval time (lap time) and also begins another lap.
-Once settled back in the pits (or your garage) select 'evaluation' from the sport display screen and there are all your lap times. Which I believe you can save the data as well.

I only played around with it out on a short drive and wrote the above from memory, but it seemed easy enough. Yes, if using it on a track you'll have to rapidly push the stalk forward twice each lap, but honestly it doesn't seem that bad to me. No, it won't be to the tenth accurate since you're responsible for stopping each lap and not a computer, but it's better than nothing I suppose.

I'm going to try it out this weekend properly and will let you know how it goes.

Quick Reply: Using the Sport Chrono/Sport display function.