Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote stopped working...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 08:49 PM
BradS71
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys. I hope you are right. I've called the dealer and informed them what I'm facing. The sales guy is going to "talk to the owner".

Its too late to tow it in today (Porsche dealer closes/locks the gate), and its sitting in a relatively safe place, so I'm going to have it towed first thing in the morning. Once I know what I am really facing, I'll go harder after the dealer. Surely they will step up. It hasn't even been a week..
Old 01-04-2017, 02:30 AM
Terrytwn
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DHC
I had the same issue and also tried every iteration possible to get my keys to re-sync. The manual is not very helpful, but I finally stumbled on this approach, which worked great for me:

Lock the doors from the outside by using the key in the door lock.

Unlock the drivers side door using the key in the door lock.

Within about 10 seconds or so, open the door and insert the key into the ignition. DON'T START THE CAR!!

With the key still in the ignition, push the unlock button on the key.

Voila, you should be good to go.
Thank you DHC!
Your post solved my problem! I had gone to my local dealer and they kept telling me it was fine but I could never operate my remote lock. After giving up and using the legacy method of using the car key to open the door, I decided to give Rennlist another look-see. I'm glad I did and found this post to re-sync my 997.2 car key with the car! Thank you!
Old 02-09-2017, 03:13 PM
WP0ZZZ
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by DHC
I had the same issue and also tried every iteration possible to get my keys to re-sync. The manual is not very helpful, but I finally stumbled on this approach, which worked great for me:

Within about 10 seconds or so, open the door and insert the key into the ignition. DON'T START THE CAR!!

Worked like a charm on my 2005 987. Thanks DHC!
Old 05-04-2017, 03:13 PM
Crusty12
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Key fob not working

Don't know if this will help anyone, this is my first post.

Today I found that my spare key for 911 997.2 would not work, the red led came on , but no function. I replaced the battery still no joy.

I googled what to do and ended up on this forum reading articles about the key problem. I tried many of the suggestions and was close to giving up when one post stated that page 20 of the manual had some sync instructions. Page 20 in my manual was about window controls, so I made the assumption that the poster had a different model and searched my manual until I found it on page 14. I followed these steps, 2 different sets of instructions, a couple of time and now both keys work fine.

For those that do not have access to the manual, please see below.

Again for clarity this worked on my 911 997.2 2009 Carrera cab. Don't see why It would not work on other models;

The remote control standby function switches off after 7 days.
If the car is not started or unlocked with the key within 7 days, the remote standby function is switched off (to save vehicle battery).

1. In this case , unlock the drivers door with the key at the door lock.
Leave the key in the lock and the door shut to stop alarm going off.

2. Press button 1 on the remote ( the one with the red led on it).

The remote control is now activated again.

This first step did not solve the problem, but it was the first step I took and I repeated it a couple of times.

I then moved on to the next step in the manual on page 14;

Operational readiness of the remote control interrupted

Each time the remote is operated, encrypted data is transmitted to the vehicle. If the radio remote control is operated too often outside the range of the car, this can result in the central locking system no longer reacting. In this case , the remote control and car must be synchronised.

1. Unlock the drivers door with the key.

2. Open the drivers door and insert the key into the ignition within 10 seconds to stop alarm.

3. With key inserted, press button 1 and hold for 5 seconds. Sync now complete.

I did this step twice, but the second time, I held button 1 for 10 seconds, took key out, shut door and boom, the key works again.

It may not help everyone, but my next step was to go to the dealer, and we all know how expensive that can be.

Well thats my first ever post on any site, so hope it helps at least one other Porsche owner.
The following users liked this post:
Sadeeq (12-18-2022)
Old 05-10-2017, 05:38 AM
Terrytwn
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The key in the ignition was what I did too to resolve my sync issue as well! Thanks for posting Crusty12!
Old 09-27-2017, 10:44 AM
Liranedde
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same problem but worst

Originally Posted by lexart
Your key, just like mine and others, have lost sync with the car. Nothing can be done on your end other than taking it in to the dealer and have them reprogram the key using PIWIS.

For now I'm using Key #2 and I suggest you do the same until your next visit to the dealer . . .
I have same issue for the past year I have the problem with both of my keys I have a 2011 cayenne regular remote, both of them stop working an di have to use it manually until I go to the dealer they resync both keys and then It works fine, untill it does the same thing all over again, if happened to me this year already 4 or 5 times dealer doesn't know the problem, and made me change the battery of the car saying it didn't have enough power, anyways I knew this was not the problem but still did it and nothing?? Has anyone have a solution maybe it's a problem with the signal receiver or antenna?
Old 09-28-2017, 07:40 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

OK, since I started this thread might as well chime in as update.

My problem resolved itself... HOW? No idea, but I suspect using the spare key for a while reprogrammed the ECU to recognize it and then it's been fine. So, for ones having problems, try using the key that doesn't sync for a few days to see if it learns it on its own.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:29 AM
OneFasTT996
5th Gear

Originally Posted by DHC

THANK YOU!!!!
Old 02-18-2018, 05:32 PM
Orthodnp
1st Gear

Default This works

Originally Posted by DHC

Thanks for the post! Worked like a charm!
Old 08-17-2018, 01:50 AM
kevsmachine
Track Day

Default Re-synch key

Originally Posted by DHC

With the key still in the ignition, push the unlock button on the key..

THEN CLOSE THE DOOR AND LOCK IT WITH THE KEY. THEN THE REMOTE IS RE-SYNCHED YESSSSSSSDD
Old 08-17-2018, 05:07 PM
r_32
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you!
Old 09-22-2019, 08:25 PM
Sudar
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by DHC

This worked. Thanks. All settings got reset for some reason too. Not sure what happened, but my son was playing with the key all day pressing buttons, when we came home it didn't work
Old 10-21-2019, 02:28 PM
jaynar
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by DHC

Worked for me on my 2005 Boxster. All of the sudden the Remote stopped working I was worried thought worst case scenario needed a control module but this worked! Thank you!!!
Old 10-21-2019, 10:26 PM
Q 997.2 C4S
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

I'd also like to thank DHC for the post. Mine worked fine until I picked it up from the dealership after a service visit. No idea why it stopped working at that time, but glad it was easy to fix!
Old 10-24-2019, 09:04 PM
Jose Gomez
1st Gear

A mi me paso casi igual pero la llave no me funciona ninguna de laa dos ademas la puerta de la gas la puerta de atras y el roof no funciona, ademas yo solo puedo vajar loa vidrios ninguna puerta se puede nose si se desprogramo o que puede tener

Quick Reply: Remote stopped working...