Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Anothther Dension vs. mObridge Question… (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/616500-anothther-dension-vs-mobridge-questiono.html)

alexjohnson 02-13-2011 04:48 PM

Anothther Dension vs. mObridge Question…

I' buying a 997.1 Targa with the factory PCM 2.1 including navigation and phone module. I want it to talk to my iPhone as comprehensively as possible - so Bluetooth phone and full iPod functionality.

After going through this with my now sadly deceased 993, I swore I would never buy a car which didn't have this all worked out at the factory, but here we are!

So, it seems to come down to the mObridge or the Dension units. They both claim to do Bluetooth well and to be honest while that needs to "work" I'm not a travelling salesman so provided it does "work" I don't really care. I presume neither can read my address book of an iPhone 4?

On the iPod functionality, both of them are quite quiet on the website and I fear they have the "fake I'm a CD changer" interface, like the very first BMW iPod interface which would play the first six playlists as if they were CD's 1-6. There seems a bit more to it than that - they clearly have track details etc. How does it work in reality and is there anything between them?

I also mostly listen to podcasts and Audiobooks and not just music on shuffle so the system remembering where I was previously is important (my old Becker Cascade would randomly decide to start at the beginning). Anything I should know?

Many thanks!

alexjohnson 02-13-2011 05:05 PM

Follow-up question: now that the iPhone supports AVRCP (full Bluetooth controls) has anyone tried using that with the mObridge rather than the iPod connection? It seems to me, disadvantages are not having head-unit control and charging, but advantages are not having to reach over into the glovebox, and possibly dealing with interface weirdness as per my question above. What's the sound quality like?

purrybonker 02-13-2011 06:32 PM

I use a Samsung phone rather an iPhone to bluetooth via Dension to my PCM (I'm happy with that setup), so I won't speak to your phone questions.

But I am an avid audiobook user and I use both my phone and my iPod for that purpose depending on what I'm doing. Generally I only audiobook in the car on roadtrips and I much prefer to use iPod to PCM in that environment. The Dension gives full control over the iPod at the PCM which is very convenient.

I can stop a book, switch to music playlists and then resume a book (or various books) through the PCM controls. Works for me.

If I'm not on a roadtrip I prefer to audiobook using my phone so I can hit the jogging trails with a single unit and have wireless headphone capability.

I don't think it's possible to use the cellphone to broadcast an audiobook via bluetooth to the PCM via the Dension unit, if that's what you're contemplating. I think you need a physical connection for that purpose.

swajames 02-13-2011 08:12 PM

mObridge does support A2DP bluetooth streaming. I don't use it, but you can stream audio to the unit via Bluetooth.

Kuhan 02-13-2011 09:04 PM

I have the Dension and an iPhone 3Gs. I thought I was going to plug the iPhone into the cable but I simly use the bluetooth streaming - it works great. You don't get the control over the playlists and song selection from the PCM but I simply do this from the phone itself. The main feature I like is that it stops the music when you switch the engine off and then restarts from where you left off the next time you get in the car.

The phone functionality is fine for my purposes. I make a receive calls without ever touching the phone - only use the PCM buttons. It pulls my phone book from the phone so all that works fine.

Eric - Plug Guy 02-13-2011 09:07 PM

Dension allows full Bluetooth audio streaming and phone, so you can do both simultaneously. And things have come a long way in the five or so years the optical integration technology has been around. Dension's unit is 3rd generation, allows USB, Bluetooth, iPod and Aux input, is easily updated via the onboard USB port, and allows cd changer retention if you have one.

Email me with any questions, anytime: eric@bumperplugs.com

And yes, we carry the Dension, and have access to the others as well if you desire.

:)