Sponsored by:

Rear Tire Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 10:06 AM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Tire Noise

I am going to check out a 2007 base Carrera in another state tomorrow and was told in advance by the dealer (not a Porsche dealer) that the car will ride noisy because the rear 19" tires (12k miles) need replacing. He ordered the new tires but they will not be there in time for my test drive tomorrow.

If I indeed find the car noisy as he says, would replacing the 19" rear tires be the true fix?

Thanks.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:13 AM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Originally Posted by hpowders
I am going to check out a 2007 base Carrera in another state tomorrow and was told in advance by the dealer (not a Porsche dealer) that the car will ride noisy because the rear 19" tires (12k miles) need replacing. He ordered the new tires but they will not be there in time for my test drive tomorrow.

If I indeed find the car noisy as he says, would replacing the 19" rear tires be the true fix?

Thanks.
The tyres are all noisy in my opinion. The least enjoyable part of Porsche ownership. I'm talking about tyre roar not the exhaust, which is a delicious sound. But you want neither at a steady 70 on the Interstate or whatever you call motorways over there.

And in my experience with Michelins, they get quieter as they wear, with Pirellis it's the other way. Just my experience, mind.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:17 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Make sure that you find out which tires (N number) they are getting as replacement tires. At the very least the new tires should match the existing front tires (make and model), and better yet, they should also be the same "N" version (i.e. N0, N1 N2, etc.).
Old 02-13-2011, 10:48 AM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Betternotbigger
The tyres are all noisy in my opinion. The least enjoyable part of Porsche ownership. I'm talking about tyre roar not the exhaust, which is a delicious sound. But you want neither at a steady 70 on the Interstate or whatever you call motorways over there.

And in my experience with Michelins, they get quieter as they wear, with Pirellis it's the other way. Just my experience, mind.
Yes, the Interstate! Thanks. Not sure what tires they are.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:49 AM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gota911
Make sure that you find out which tires (N number) they are getting as replacement tires. At the very least the new tires should match the existing front tires (make and model), and better yet, they should also be the same "N" version (i.e. N0, N1 N2, etc.).
The dealer special ordered them so I'm pretty sure they will match. Thanks.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:07 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

The dealer special ordered them so I'm pretty sure they will match. Thanks.
I just wanted to make sure you checked this out since you said it was not a Porsche dealer. While Porsche dealers will automatically do this (match the tires correctly) because they know about Porsche's "N" ratings, non-Porsche dealers may not be familiar with the "N" ratings.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:43 AM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gota911
I just wanted to make sure you checked this out since you said it was not a Porsche dealer. While Porsche dealers will automatically do this (match the tires correctly) because they know about Porsche's "N" ratings, non-Porsche dealers may not be familiar with the "N" ratings.
Okay. Thanks. Will do!
Old 02-13-2011, 11:50 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Thanks.
Probably. Worn tires and some brands worse than others -- Pirelli is my experience -- get noisy when they get worn down.

Now there is a slight chance the tire noise is masking a noisy wheel bearing or some other drivetrain related noise, but the odds are in favor of this *not* being the case.

Have the seller take you on a long test ride, 15 miles or so, mixed driving. Then when over you take the car out as a driver and follow the same route, drive the car the same way.

Give the tires a chance to get noisy but give anything else that might be acting up a change to act up as well.

Don't over focus on tire noise to the point you don't properly evaluate the car's overall condition and state.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:08 PM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macster
Probably. Worn tires and some brands worse than others -- Pirelli is my experience -- get noisy when they get worn down.

Now there is a slight chance the tire noise is masking a noisy wheel bearing or some other drivetrain related noise, but the odds are in favor of this *not* being the case.

Have the seller take you on a long test ride, 15 miles or so, mixed driving. Then when over you take the car out as a driver and follow the same route, drive the car the same way.

Give the tires a chance to get noisy but give anything else that might be acting up a change to act up as well.

Don't over focus on tire noise to the point you don't properly evaluate the car's overall condition and state.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Thanks. Will do.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:13 PM
theporscheguy
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Purchased a few cars like this and worn tires will make the car louder. I found a '02 Carrera for my brother and shipped in to San Jose knowing that the rears needed to be replaced. He was really amazed at how much quieter the car was when he had new tires put on.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:15 PM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theporscheguy
Purchased a few cars like this and worn tires will make the car louder. I found a '02 Carrera for my brother and shipped in to San Jose knowing that the rears needed to be replaced. He was really amazed at how much quieter the car was when he had new tires put on.
Thanks.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:20 PM
swajames
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW the RE-11s I now have on my 997 are quieter (yet still grip much better) than the two OEM tires I've had on my 997s. I've had the OEM PS2 and the older OEM P-Zero. I've heard that the latest P-Zero is a better tire than the original N-spec tire Porsche was using. Michelin also has a couple of new tires about to hit the market so I'd guess the PS2's days as an OEM tire are limited.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:41 PM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by swajames
FWIW the RE-11s I now have on my 997 are quieter (yet still grip much better) than the two OEM tires I've had on my 997s. I've had the OEM PS2 and the older OEM P-Zero. I've heard that the latest P-Zero is a better tire than the original N-spec tire Porsche was using. Michelin also has a couple of new tires about to hit the market so I'd guess the PS2's days as an OEM tire are limited.
I do believe the dealer ordered P-Zero tires, if I recall our telephone conversation correctly.

Last edited by hpowders; 02-13-2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:33 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

The road surfac makes a big difference, on asphalt, my PS2's are ok, but on concrete they are very noisy

Quick Reply: Rear Tire Noise