Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the differences between a C2 vs. C2S?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 01:17 PM
TooSixy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gellie
In every day driving I doubt you will notice much difference between the two. I Never looked back.!
I guess this is the same as what I read in the other post about whether to buy a Cayman S or 911. The quote, I believe, was, "... you come up to a 997 at the lights, you'll wish you had that car." Maybe not as much as a base 911 vs a 911S, but I am sure you will know the difference when you need it.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:24 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

get the S (ok, I'm biased). HUGE upgrade to the 996 - wait untill you feel the shorter throw (shifter) - very nice, the bigger brakes are nice too

more hp is always welcomed. if you get a no sport Chrono car you won't miss it, adn you certainly won't miss the unattractive dash wart that sport chrono provides (it is great though for the Turbo)

coming from a 996 narrow body it will seem wide to you - it looks great
Old 02-10-2011, 09:08 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 822 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by 996scott
I sold my 996 and am looking into buying a 997. Probably 2006-08. I know that the S has the 3.8L vs 3.6L, bigger brakes (red calipers), More HP (345 vs 325), I believe the S has wider back end (like the C4). What else am I missing? Is there anything that comes standard on the S that you would have to order as an option on the base model? I'm trying to decide if the extra cost on the S is worth it. The extra HP alone isn't a big deal for me. Can someone also explain the Sport Crono thing. I think it alows you to adjust the suspension, but I'm sure it is a lot more than that. Thanks for the help guys.
S is NOT wider

SC is a fancy timer, if combined with other options, can't remember what it is called................... allows for Launch Control starts.
Sport mode allows you to adjust PASM settings.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:35 PM
hhubard
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've yet to see a S owner that wish he or she had a C2.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:26 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
Sport mode does NOT allow you to adjust PASM. PASM is adjustable in any car that has PASM.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:54 PM
TooSixy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SC is a fancy timer, if combined with other options, can't remember what it is called................... allows for Launch Control starts.
SC when combined with Comfort Seat with Memories (or ***) will give you personal settings that normally require a trip to dealer to change.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:41 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
Sport mode does NOT allow you to adjust PASM. PASM is adjustable in any car that has PASM.
I think he meant PSM!

Sport mode makes PSM kick in later, allowing some slippage!
Old 02-11-2011, 03:55 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by 996scott
I sold my 996 and am looking into buying a 997. Probably 2006-08. I know that the S has the 3.8L vs 3.6L, bigger brakes (red calipers), More HP (345 vs 325), I believe the S has wider back end (like the C4). What else am I missing? Is there anything that comes standard on the S that you would have to order as an option on the base model? I'm trying to decide if the extra cost on the S is worth it. The extra HP alone isn't a big deal for me. Can someone also explain the Sport Crono thing. I think it alows you to adjust the suspension, but I'm sure it is a lot more than that. Thanks for the help guys.
PASM was standard on C2S, not on C2, BUT, you could find used C2 cars that have PASM as an option ordered. For pure street driving, you honestly don't need it!

Sports Chrono is absolutely not needed on the street, it just makes the throttle response faster, like you get to max WOT sooner than in regular. I RARELY put it into Sport on the street.

Honestly, it ALL depends on you... if you are gonna track the car, think you NEED the extra power, would be INSECURE if you saw a C2S against your C2... then get the C2S. However, if you just like a nice Porsche to enjoy the driving experience, don't track, and are personally not affected by "grass greener on the other side", then C2 is just a great of a car, save the price difference for maintenance and tire changes!
Old 02-11-2011, 03:38 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

S is NOT wider

but it very much is wider than the 996
Old 02-14-2011, 06:08 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by hhubard
I've yet to see a S owner that wish he or she had a C2.
True, but I'd be willing to be there are S owners out there that would be just as happy with the performance of a base model, but ended up spending an extra $5k just for the letter on the back side.

The point is, there is on 'one correct answer'.

It depends on whats important to the person buying the car. No on else can tell them what is important to them.. .we could help them discover what may be important to them by having them think about issues.

But in the end, C2 vs C2S comes down to the two specific and actual cars you are comparing so you can compare them 'as optioned' and decide. Whether something is stock or an installed option is irrelevant to the discussion.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:09 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
but it very much is wider than the 996
This is true.

Its also wider than my old 1994 VW Golf GL.

But neither of those are what the question was about. ;-)
Old 02-14-2011, 06:44 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Minok
This is true.

Its also wider than my old 1994 VW Golf GL.

But neither of those are what the question was about. ;-)
I realize that, but width was a point stated by another poster C2S is not a WB compared to C4, C4s TT, etc. but it is wider than his 996.

VW was never even close to on topic
Old 04-08-2012, 05:20 PM
deijmaster
Advanced

Originally Posted by Alstoy
I have a C2 and love the simplicity of the car. A friend of mine has a S. The joy of the C2 is working it hard and finding the rewards in the upper range. The C2S gets there faster and the low end torque is noticable. However, in my quest for simplicity, I just got a set of the stock 18" wheels to replace the 19s. This is my first Porsche and I am learning everyday. If I knew what I know now, I would have purchased a C2S with X-51. Cheers.
Great point, I also have a C2 and I find that the car is already over qualified for my needs and the roads we have in Canada. So I sleep very well at night but I would be crazy to "not want" an S, Turbo or GT3 if I could afford them at this point....

After a year of ownership, I'm convinced my purchase was the right one and we'll see for the next upgrade in a couple of years...

Cheers.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:06 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

PASM is nice... with my last car we mod'd the suspension for a sportier ride but it was too stiff for my wife. With my C2S and PASM I can select "wife" mode or sports mode. Now we're both happy. Very glad I got the S.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:43 PM
newyorker
Intermediate

Default Depends on where you live

I live in NYC, I have 2011 C2 with long option list. I specailly ordered my car through dealer for my option list. Ordered in April and got delivery in July 2010. There was $10000.00 difference between S and Non-s which is not a big deal in $ but the sales guy told me that I will have to repair the wheels quite often if I get 19" wheels with S due to potholes in NYC road. Turbo wheels are much better because they are forged. Regular S wheel is very soft to NYC roads.
So I thought why I pay $10000.00 more to have more repair stops. I went with C2. I do not regret about S model, but I do regret that I did not ordered with Convertible(CAB). The difference between Cab and Non-Cab was about $10000.00 too.

Well, choosing S and Non-S, or Cab or Non-Cab is your preference and condition of your area. Also 90% of people even don't know the difference between S and Non-S unless they know Porsche well. Most of my friends just know that I am driving 911, and they even don't care I have S or Non-S.

Quick Reply: What are the differences between a C2 vs. C2S?