Sponsored by:

Custom Satin Black Interior Constrast Upgrade: 997.2S

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 02:10 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 849 Likes on 466 Posts
Default Custom Satin Black Interior Constrast Upgrade: 997.2S

Don't know if any of you have cars with lighter interiors such as Sand Beige but it seems to be a popular combination of many Porsches I've seen ordered by dealers. My last car was classic an 2005 997.1 Carrera in Artic Silver/black interior. Stupidly I sold that car back in 2009 for an 09 Cayenne S (which my wife now drives) Anyway replaced my loss with an 2009 997.2 Carrera S in Racing Green/sand beige interior. Great deal on the car but I've found two things 1) the interior is difficult to keep clean as it seems to pickup all types of dirt 2) the interior contrasts in black do better to hide the dirt and also I think add a little better contrasts (i.e. two tone interior available also via OEM option also) I've done the config online at the PCNA build website and like the contrast look of the black on sand beige/tan.

After some discussion with my dealership and a few other p-car owners/rennlist folks and with great assistance from Eric@Bumperplugs I've modified my interior with a custom painted center console to extend that contrasted look. I've seen it in many other exotics and sports cars which have used the contrast of the center console to sort of separate the two areas of the cockpit: the driver and the passanger much like also seen in aviation in the cockpit of business jets I've flown. I chose Satin black as it matches very closely the PCM 3.0 main console as well as the other OEM flat black panels/parts in the car/dash already. So far I think it looks pretty good and the job Eric/Bumperplugs has done is fantastic. Kudos to those guys.
Also thanks to Suncoast Porsche where I found the PDK black/aluminum handle and e-brake as well as leather crested console lid for replacement also.

Final step will be to replace the side radio panels of the PCM stack with OEM black panels. Anyway enjoy the post and pics! Your thoughts/comments are welcome (bad or good) as well!

1-24 Update: Just added the replacement "Carrera S' emblem in Satin black to the car's rear end also to replace the current one with the silver Carrera and Red S which just seemed out of place on the car.

2-10 Update Car completed. Added OEM black side PCM panels to finish off the two tone center console contrast. See 2nd to last pics. Looks great! Thanks to Eric@Bumperplugs and all others who've assisted in this project.

Photos order
Interior (pre-retrofit) - Sand Beige interior
Deck lid (pre-retrofit)
Interior (post retrofit) - Sand Beige and Satin Black Console/black PDK trim ebrake and Black leather lid w/crest.
New rear satin Carrera S emblem
Exterior overall car

Last edited by mdrobc1213; 12-22-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:14 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

the black extend nicely from the dashboard/media console toward the middle of the interior.

Very nice. I am also a big fan of the 'dashboard cover' in black.

In my opinion, everything should be black and only the seat should be beige
Old 01-19-2011, 08:48 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 478 Likes on 274 Posts

That's a beautiful job and I like it much better with the contrast.

Tom
Old 01-19-2011, 09:39 AM
RED 997
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good!
Old 01-19-2011, 12:13 PM
csorrows
Instructor

That Racing Green is a beautiful color, and goes very nice with the beige interior. I like the black console, too!

When I was looking, I was leaning toward a Guards Red with beige interior, but couldn't find any locally in my price range. My other exterior choices were yellow and white. I really like Speed Yellow, but the only interior that makes sense is black, and I didn't want an all black interior.

Luckily, I found one that had the console, seat belts, and gauge dials also in Speed Yellow, and it provides a very nice contrast to the all-black interior, without being too over the top (I think if it had deviated stitching also, it might have been over the top).

Enjoy your ride - it's a beautiful car!
Old 01-19-2011, 01:52 PM
Dave's911
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 32 Posts

Your car looks really nice. I like the personal touch that you've developed.
I do have a question for you regarding the console lid from Suncoast. They offer two versions on their site. One at almost $800, the other for something like $280. Can I ask which one you went with, it looks really nice.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:59 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

That looks so much better now. Nice job and good eye!

I agree with the changing of the sides of the center console to black, too. However, I wouldn't change the script on the decklid.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:56 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dave's911
Your car looks really nice. I like the personal touch that you've developed.
I do have a question for you regarding the console lid from Suncoast. They offer two versions on their site. One at almost $800, the other for something like $280. Can I ask which one you went with, it looks really nice.
Hi..Dave I went with the $280 one and their black/aluminum PDK shifter and brake assembly since you can't just change out the ebrake leather separately like in the 996 (it comes as a whole)
Old 01-19-2011, 05:08 PM
Dave's911
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks for the info, it looks really good. I've been going back and forth on which console lid to buy, your pictures have made up my mind.
I really like the contrast idea. Won't work on mine as the console is already painted in the body color, but nevertheless the contrasting black looks really good with your interior. Probably the nicest sand biege I've seen. Doing the side the panels on the PCM area will really finish it off well.
Good job,
Dave.

Last edited by Dave's911; 01-19-2011 at 05:10 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-19-2011, 10:02 PM
Bruce R
Three Wheelin'

Received 478 Likes on 190 Posts

That looks good, lots of good thought went into that.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:58 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Rob,

The mods look great! Good job!
Old 01-20-2011, 12:27 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dave's911
Thanks for the info, it looks really good. I've been going back and forth on which console lid to buy, your pictures have made up my mind.
I really like the contrast idea. Won't work on mine as the console is already painted in the body color, but nevertheless the contrasting black looks really good with your interior. Probably the nicest sand biege I've seen. Doing the side the panels on the PCM area will really finish it off well.
Good job,
Dave.
Dave
Talk to Eric at Bumperplugs. He did my console custom painting and he can work you thru almost whatever you want to do. Believe me after all the emails back and forth debating finishes and reasoning back and forth with him I know he felt like a ping pong ball...but he was great. Never told me no way and tried to find pics of different finishes and combos IF he didn't already have them. Strong work...really helped the design process. Also check with him as your current console may be good for core exhange as was mine. Good luck.

Rob
Old 01-20-2011, 12:10 PM
txag81
5th Gear

I have the same interior on my 997.2 and am interested in doing the same thing. Did you do the install yourself or at the dealer? It looks great on yours and I am ready to pursue this further.
David
Old 01-20-2011, 02:53 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 131 Posts

I would be concerned about durability and the appearance of dust, etc. in such a vulnerable position. The slush finishes (OEM) are not too hardy in that location, however leather holds up quite well. I would think that paint would take some hits.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:53 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 491 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Dave
Talk to Eric at Bumperplugs. He did my console custom painting and he can work you thru almost whatever you want to do. Believe me after all the emails back and forth debating finishes and reasoning back and forth with him I know he felt like a ping pong ball...but he was great. Never told me no way and tried to find pics of different finishes and combos IF he didn't already have them. Strong work...really helped the design process. Also check with him as your current console may be good for core exhange as was mine. Good luck.

Rob
+1 - Eric is the man!

Quick Reply: Custom Satin Black Interior Constrast Upgrade: 997.2S