Sponsored by:

instrument bezel removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 06:24 PM
Nielsen
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default instrument bezel removal

Hello from Vancouver. I'm new to the forum, so let me apologize in advance if I speak out of turn or otherwise don't not use the forum as I'm supposed to.

I have a 2005 C2S with a squeaky instrument bezel. My idea is to remove it, smear a tiny amount of silicone rubber on the back, let it dry, and then replace the bezel. I found the discussion thread on removing the instrument panel, but what about the bezel? Do I need to remove the cluster to remove the bezel? I am also interested in changing gauge faces. I haven't found a 'search' feature for this forum and topic. Can someone help with this. Finally, I've looked for good quality alternative instrument bezels but haven't found any. Does anyone know whether such things are available?
Old 12-12-2010, 01:21 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist Nielsen....

Not sure if this is the thread you referred to but it shows how to remove the instrument cluster. You can't replace the gauges without removing the cluster first.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-curr...t-cluster.html

I'm about to replace my gauges with these Guards Red from FVD. They are the closest to OEM I could find and appear to be of very high quality.

http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/99...nual-cars.html

Hope this helps and best of luck !
Old 12-12-2010, 01:29 PM
Nielsen
Rennlist Member

Hey, thanks very much for the response--and your welcome. What about the instrument bezel? Can I pop it off without removing the cluster? Is it just some sort of press fit? That squeek from the plastic bezel is driving me nuts!

I hope you will post some pictures of the gauge-face re-do. I have my eye on the very faces you are about to install. They look beautiful. I still think that a high quality set of chrome bezel rings would be just stunning--especially with that combo. I don't think it would be too blingy at all. ....but I can't find any
Old 12-12-2010, 02:21 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

I'd avoid the silicone and use a dampening felt or dynamat material. No goo, please.

If you are referring to the material surrounding the gauge faces, there may be a TSB (technical service bulletin) on this that any dealer can assist with. Just don't get silicone anywhere near your gauge lenses.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 12-12-2010, 03:18 PM
JasonKM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

in addition to FVD, cargraphic also makes replacement gauge faces. I had a dealer in Boston install metric faces for me before I imported the car to Canada
Old 12-14-2010, 08:36 PM
Nielsen
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info. The part that I want to remove is the gray plastic bezel. The one piece (?) set of rings that surrounds the gauges. That's the part that squeaks. I like your idea of the felting instead of silicone, though I did intend to let the silicone dry completely on the back side of the bezel before I put it back in place on the gauge pod. This still begs the question...... does the plastic bezel pop off and can I do it without removing the gauge pod?

Quick Reply: instrument bezel removal