Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Questions for those with Turbo and Carrera experience-- (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/603991-questions-for-those-with-turbo-and-carrera-experience.html)

LlBr 12-01-2010 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone (Post 8099257)
I too find the TT quite "muted" by the turbos. That said, AWE just came out with an exhaust solution for the 997.2 TTs that sounds quite wonderful.

I find the subdued-though-still-quite-stimulating sound of the stock 997.1 TT is advantageous in the following ways:

1. When I'm passing in point-and-shoot mode it does not terrify or p*ss people off into using their cell phones to call ahead for cops.

2. Does not drive me crazy with a drone, buzz or rasp when I'm cruising at constant speed on an interstate.

3. When I feel like burning up quiet back roads the sound does not alert all the inhabitants within a five mile radius to use their "call 911" phones

4. You can always support the economy and add some aftermarket exhaust for more stylish race-car sound if you want -- even though, perhaps revealingly, :D the car's stellar performance will stay the same.

:cool:

LlBr 12-01-2010 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Nugget (Post 8097916)
I
Bottom line: there is no one right answer. They're different cars that suit different circumstances.

Ah yes. Agree 100% I'm left wondering however, what ARE those purposes?

Okay, just for fun.

Because you were caught speeding in pre-Bush Iraq, Saddam's son, the one who likes cars, has got you in a torture chamber with three silver 997s. A C2S, a GT3, and a TT.

Even though he's a crazy megalomaniacal SOB, he does read the car mags, and prides himself on being reasonable man when it comes to his car hobby.

He's got ONE pivotal question for you.

He says he's only going to ask you once and if you don't get it right he will start the torture-to-death proceedings.

If you get it right you will be set free and will get to test drive his CGT with him as passenger. :crying:

The question he asks you, "Of the three cars parked before you, which one is the best ROAD CAR Porsche ever built?"

Which is the answer that will save your life (and allow you to take your chances in his CGT)?

Of course: the TT.

What does this parable prove? Not that Saddam's son always gets what he wants, it proves there IS a universal truth about the 997TT and we all know it.

LOL.

Just for fun. We're all just drinkin' some beer. No fights. No need to read into it. Entertainment purposes only.

equiraptor 12-01-2010 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by LlBr (Post 8099446)
What does this parable prove?

That you have a chip on your shoulder.

LlBr 12-01-2010 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by equiraptor (Post 8099450)
That you have a chip on your shoulder.

C'mon. Loosen up. Have another drink on me. :thumbsup: See that babe over there? She's looking at you. You want to meet her? :D

equiraptor 12-01-2010 05:25 PM

You are not interesting or entertaining. I'll have my drinks with others, thanks.

I also have very little interest in the Turbo. It's a point-and-shoot car (when compared with the RWD 911s). I don't like point-and-shoot. I far prefer twisting through the corners, and finding my way to a track where I can go sideways to my heart's content. I'd rather have an Exige than a Turbo. I'd rather have a 997.2 GT3 RS than either of the former. Even as my only car.

texas911 12-01-2010 05:48 PM

Man this place is becoming a lot like the 993 board. No dissenting voices allowed!

Nugget 12-01-2010 05:57 PM

Tell me which road and I'll tell you which car is best for that road. Beyond that, the question is flawed and cannot be answered.

Originally Posted by LlBr (Post 8099457)
See that babe over there? She's looking at you. You want to meet her?

This is such a clear example of why it's never safe to assume that your own preferences are universal for everyone. Equiraptor's not attracted to babes -- she's attracted to dudes.

slicky rick 12-01-2010 06:12 PM

nugget got libr there...your the girl equiraptor.

LlBr 12-01-2010 06:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by texas911 (Post 8099530)
Man this place is becoming a lot like the 993 board. No dissenting voices allowed!

Yeah. +1 Too weird.

The moderator should have censored it on two levels (joking):

1. Never allowed the OP to post such a threatening question here in the first place.

2. Ban (from the post) anybody who has not owned BOTH a 997S and a 997TT.

All efforts on my part are to inform the OP, along the lines of his question, AS a former 997S and current TT owner.

Originally Posted by Nugget (Post 8099563)
Tell me which road and I'll tell you which car is best for that road. Beyond that, the question is flawed and cannot be answered.

Ouuuuuuuuch..., I'm sorry..., wrong answer my friend! :evilgrin:

Nugget 12-01-2010 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Llbr
Never allowed the OP to post such a threatening question here in the first place.

Why is it so difficult for you to accept that opinions vary? The only person in this thread who is acting threatened is you -- unwilling to accept any hint of disagreement with your personal opinion.

You keep claiming you're joking but you aren't acting like it. You're not being funny or amusing or friendly. You're just filling the thread with shrill protests that everyone else is wrong wrong wrong.

Originally Posted by LlBr (Post 8099664)
Yeah. +1 Too weird.

Here's a hint...

"Man this place is becoming a lot like the 993 board. No dissenting voices allowed!" is referring to you. You can't "+1" a complaint about you!

Mike in CA 12-01-2010 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by LlBr (Post 8099446)
Just for fun. We're all just drinkin' some beer. No fights. No need to read into it. Entertainment purposes only.

Following a post with 5 catch phrase qualifiers (or a bunch of emoticons) is a sign that maybe you knew it might be perceived negatively and itrritate people in the first place, so you shouldn't be too surprised that it did.

My own view that the extra power of the TT over the S or GT3 is basically irrelevant on public roads has been posted before. It's my opinion, it's been made clear, and having said it, I don't feel the need to challenge every subsequent poster who has a contrary point of view.

Your views on the TT have been made and understood. I may be wrong, but I get the feeling that isn't good enough for you. While allowing that others have their opinions, you want everyone to acknowledge that yours is the "best" choice and "win" the discussion.

Unfortunately, that's not going to happen. I'd let it go.

alexb76 12-01-2010 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by docfink (Post 8091715)
Just wondering: if you've ever owned, or do own a 911 Turbo, would you ever go back to a Carrera (S or other)?

I realize the power of a Turbo must be addictive, but let's face it--most of us rarely track our cars and there are few places we can safely exploit The speed and power of any modern 911.

I understand that many here can simply afford anything they want, and realistically there is no doubt that the Turbo is the pinnacle of 911 design. I personally prefer the clean lines of a wide-body 911 to the scoops and wings on Turbos, but I also realize that I don't see those things from the cockpit and the rush of power from a Turbo must be insane--and that alone might make it more satisfying than any normally aspirated car (except possibly a GT3 or RS).

So let's be honest. If you're a turbo owner, would you ever go back to a normally aspirated, lower-powered Carrera? Have any of you driven both, could have gotten either, and decided on the Carrera?

One day I hope to respond to this post myself, but I've never driven a newer Turbo and wanted a normally aspirated 911 for my first Pcar. For the car I wanted, a turbo was financially out of the question anyway.

A buddy of mine just got a 2011 Turbo S I'm looking forward to driving, though!:rockon:
Thanks in advance!

As you can see there are very obvious opinions around this topic. LOL.

Basically, if you like Torque/Power, no matter what others say, you CANNOT replace Turbo. The power is enormous, the feel of torque coming on is exhilirating.

If however, you like nimbler lighters cars, and for instance like Lotus and more go cart feel, then Carrera is a better choice.

At the end of the day, ONLY YOU can decide, so please drive both to see which makes YOU happier!

PS. One note, as you got a 997.1 C4S, Turbo has a different AWD that is HEAVIER than yours and uses the front wheels much more frequently than your AWD. When I tested the 997.2 C4S, I was very surprised how much of 911 feel was absent due to new AWD, hence, I highly recommend to test a Turbo and not judge the AWD feel based on your current exerpeince. They're quite different!

w00tPORSCHE 12-01-2010 08:29 PM

:corn:

slicky rick 12-01-2010 08:51 PM

havent driven a turbo but have the new c4s. one thing i noticed was how "sterilized" the c4s feels. i always tell my brother who owns the c4s, that his car is docile while mine is more wild. i guess this is a feeling since the cars performance numbers are practically the same. c4s feels more planted easier to drive around town and around the curves. it actually seems faster on the curves. the turbo is essentially a more powerful c4s so it should be more of the car. however, i noticed something though.. i smile more and adrenalin is pumping more when i am driving my c2s.. i may not be faster but i am happier.. does that make sense to you guys? this could be the same comment of a guy who drives a classic 2.7rs. im pretty sure the c4s is faster and a better performer and the turbo even more, but he will always have a bigger smile driving the 2.7rs.

LlBr 12-01-2010 09:22 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Mike in CA (Post 8099835)
Your views on the TT have been made and understood. I may be wrong, but I get the feeling that isn't good enough for you. While allowing that others have their opinions, you want everyone to acknowledge that yours is the "best" choice and "win" the discussion.

Unfortunately, that's not going to happen. I'd let it go.

I absolutely let it go. It's not ME that's on the line. I'm just a friggin guy on the internet, so what?! However let me explain what I mean.

I can imagine lists of the "World's Best."

World's best ski resort.

World's best beaches.

World's best universities.

There is going to be a list of "World's Best" and it is going to be suitable for many many people as a place to start.

There are always going to be people who disagree.

But for the rest of us the lists are valid guides to making decisions about what we want to do, buy or where we want to go.

Which leads me to my ULTIMATE QUESTION: Why did porsche BUILD the Turbo? Where does that put the Turbo on the list of best Porsche road cars?

How would the Original Poster answer his question? Why would somebody buy a Turbo over a NA 997?

When Porsche writes stuff like this (attached) and car mags make statements like "It's the ultimate everyday supercar!" WHAT are they saying? Does it have ANY meaning? Are all "World's Best" lists written by self-centered people with their heads up their butts or is there a consensus?

What am I saying is it's GENERALLY AGREED among the vast majority of consumers: if you want an ultimate Porsche road car, get the Turbo. WTF is the problem?

Individuals here can have their own opinions. I have my own opinion BUT the opinion of the media, the advertising, the car mags and the imagined "World's Best Lists" it is all going to have to agree with the way the car is presented by Porsche and they way Porsche backs up what it is presenting. Assuming Porsche KNOWS how to make "the World's Best... " you have to assume they did it with the Turbo. Read their promotional literature and you will CERTAINLY get pushed in that direction!

BTW, The people accusing me of having my head up my a** can equally be accused of the same head/a** behavior considering the car they are personally loving. We all have our personal opinions we all love our cars.

The problem is how the Turbo is perceived and is that perception justified because Porsche delivered on what it set out to do? The Turbo is PROMOTED like below and "everybody" who likes to be guided by "World's Best" lists will find the Turbo on top of any imagined Porsche Road Cars list. Th car mags and reviews all support this perception of "The Ultimate Porsche Road car."

All of this is serving the original poster. I wish somebody told me this stuff when I bought my 997S. Only problem was the 997TT wasn't out yet. :D

Here's what the ONE brochure says about it. Not counting all the other stuff in mags and advertisements:

Ultimate performance defined by a single word: Turbo.

Relentless Improvement

Most powerful Turbo ever.

Redefine[s] performance

Not just an icon but an iconoclast

[Turbo] has crushed old beliefs about the limits of sports car performance.

The ultimate sports car - and the next masterpiece of Porsche engineering.

It "shreds the envelope!"

Gee I wonder where people might get the idea it's the best Porsche road car ever? :D :D :D :D Do they IMAGINE it because they own one, or do they own one because it has more than a shred of truth?