Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Questions for those with Turbo and Carrera experience-- (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/603991-questions-for-those-with-turbo-and-carrera-experience.html)

Alstoy 11-29-2010 08:52 PM

Care to share your thought on the R8 and C2S.

docfink 11-29-2010 10:23 PM

I guess what I meant by "pinnacle of design" is that the Turbo tends to have the most options and most developed engine compared to the rest of the 911s--IN GENERAL.

Again, I'm not saying the turbo is better, just wondering what people's thoughts are.

An acquaintance here has a 996 Turbo cab I drove and while it felt slightly stronger than my C4S, it wasn't mind-blowingly different and the body felt a little flexy to me. I'm sure the latest 997 Turbos feel far different.

porscheconvert 11-29-2010 11:25 PM

As many will say on this thread, drive em both...for most...it's obvious after the test drive. Upon looking for my 2nd Porsche, I test drove many...including the turbo. Lots of hype and big brand promise of the Turbo...I really wanted to love it...but...

Kinda like the difference between a woman that's hot and one that's sexy. C2S is sexy...more nimble, responsive, and simply more fun to ride. You really can't go wrong with either - here's my take though:
1. Hit the accelerator while making a pass at 30 Mph - instant acceleration with C2S...turbo had a bit of lag. Reminded me of GT of sorts. Love 2nd gear in the C2S!
2. Power boost so great in turbo...had a bit of trouble maintaining control of steering when tapping throttle in 2nd and 3rd gear...almost "wiggly" if I may say (likely driver error though). Steering precise at any speed or acceleration point with C2S.
3. Felt easier to stop quicker in C2S...Turbo took a bit longer...likely due to weight difference.
4. Can't quite describe steering difference...C2S felt like go-cart. Turbo felt like...well a sports car.
5. Love the bounce and feel of the road in C2S...liked the turbo feel as well...but not as much feel.
6. Did I mention I could buy a daily driver and C2S for price of turbo?

Good luck!

docfink 11-29-2010 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by porscheconvert (Post 8094744)
As many will say on this thread, drive em both...for most...it's obvious after the test drive. Upon looking for my 2nd Porsche, I test drove many...including the turbo. Lots of hype and big brand promise of the Turbo...I really wanted to love it...but...

Kinda like the difference between a woman that's hot and one that's sexy. C2S is sexy...more nimble, responsive, and simply more fun to ride. You really can't go wrong with either - here's my take though:
1. Hit the accelerator while making a pass at 30 Mph - instant acceleration with C2S...turbo had a bit of lag. Reminded me of GT of sorts. Love 2nd gear in the C2S!
2. Power boost so great in turbo...had a bit of trouble maintaining control of steering when tapping throttle in 2nd and 3rd gear...almost "wiggly" if I may say (likely driver error though). Steering precise at any speed or acceleration point with C2S.
3. Felt easier to stop quicker in C2S...Turbo took a bit longer...likely due to weight difference.
4. Can't quite describe steering difference...C2S felt like go-cart. Turbo felt like...well a sports car.
5. Love the bounce and feel of the road in C2S...liked the turbo feel as well...but not as much feel.
6. Did I mention I could buy a daily driver and C2S for price of turbo?

Good luck!

Great Post--thanks.

Mussl Kar 11-30-2010 09:31 AM

After getting my RS I no longer wanted the 997TT, felt it was just to much of a road boat. Traded it in for a 997C2S and the driving difference is day and night.
Last weekend the 3rd owner of that 997TT found a reciept in the paperwork that went with the car with my cell # on it, and called me asking a few questions about the car. He had always wanted a TT and finally had enough $ to trade in his C4S for it. He was very surprised to hear why I traded the TT in. His driving impressions about the TT were the same as mine were, just too soft.

German_Saint 11-30-2010 10:28 AM

Just got rid of my C2 - once you boost there is no going back to a NA 911 unless it's a GT3/RS period.

and forget the "S" upgrade - pleeeeeeeeeeeasssssseeeeeee

German_Saint 11-30-2010 11:05 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I enjoy the hydraulic assist the Turbo has for the clutch - makes DD much easier IMO.

I made the switch last week. Knowing my C2 has a good home - not looking back.

mclaudio 11-30-2010 11:12 AM

As much as I have soft spot for the original P Turbos, I'm in the NA camp when it comes to actual driving experience. I prefer quicker, higher revving engines, less lag, more ability to throttle steer, less weight, linear power delivery. Having said this, technology has improved turbo lag especially compared to 70s/80s turbos. But then, technology also has improved NA engines.

Also, as some folks say, anybody can go fast in a straight line. The extra hp has decreasing marginal return for street use IMHO.

pewter82 11-30-2010 11:30 AM

I had the 996TT X50, I didn't think it was good on public roads and really not as much fun on the back country curvy roads. I did amaze me on the interstate though, which is where I think the car is best suited, and where I spend the least amount of time. (theres tons of posts about the power delivery/usability on here)
I have a 993 4S and even with its 285 HP ,its much more enjoyable on the curvy's and around town.
I think for me it was the power curve of the TT that just didn't fit as well to what I enjoy about a 911. The TT is a beast, but make sure you have plenty of room for the beast to stretch its legs.
My next 911 will be the 09-10 C2, I'm just not a owner who can use a TT.

jason

LlBr 11-30-2010 01:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Nugget (Post 8093397)
However this thread makes quite clear that your experiences are not universal. Many find that they prefer the benefits of the NA cars over the benefits of the Turbo. It's certainly important for a shopper to drive both so that they can make an informed decision.

Suuuuure. No problem. Too bad there usually aren't any Turbos on the lots that shoppers can test drive when comparing 997 products.

I'd like to interview the guys after they test drive both cars on the same afternoon and get their impressions.

I wonder if a pattern would emerge. :roflmao:

LlBr 11-30-2010 01:51 PM

I bet the GT3 vs. Turbo dilemma is VERY EASY to solve for most guys.

One is a race car the other is a road car. Do you want a race car or a road car? Don't know?

For most guys a simple test drive will make it perfectly clear in the first few minutes.

:thumbup:

Nugget 11-30-2010 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by LlBr (Post 8095971)
I'd like to interview the guys after they test drive both cars on the same afternoon and get their impressions.

How would that be different than the "interviews" solicited by this thread? There's no reason not to assume that the same pattern would arise -- some people will prefer the turbo and some will not.

Originally Posted by LlBr (Post 8095993)
For most guys a simple test drive will make it perfectly clear in the first few minutes.

This is exactly correct. I believe that most people will find that it's not a tough decision after they've had a chance to drive both.

texas911 11-30-2010 02:21 PM

I don't get why people keep harking on the turbo's unusable power, yet go back and claim they love rev'ing up a NA engine? You can redline a NA on the streets and yet a turbo is too powerful? BTW, at first the TT power delivery seemed like an explosion, but with more miles, you get used to it and its not as explosive as when you first start driving it. That's why TT owners keep trying to mod their cars to go even faster. A test drive might scare you at first but eventually it becomes normal to drive.

Nugget 11-30-2010 02:29 PM

For the record, I don't think that there is such a thing as "too much power."

I do think that a car can be too heavy and have too many drive wheels though. :)

German_Saint 11-30-2010 03:16 PM

looks around - thinks ppl are completely wrong---

slowly backs away towards the door..