Sponsored by:

Planning a trip to Germany this summer

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 02:54 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

A relatively nice drive is the Alpen Straße in Bavaria. It skirts the Austrian border and will take you to Berchesgaden.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:39 AM
WadeC4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the Alpen drive. Listen for the cow bells! You can save money on some days by taking the trains. There easy to use.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:32 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you, uvgaal, for the info! We'll likely homebase out of Munich since we want to visit Garmisch, Salzburg, etc. We might even hit the Alpine passes (I'll just take the hit for the mileage).
Old 11-30-2010, 09:46 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

If one is driving from the Bavarian area ( eg Garmisch ) toward the sothwestern part of Germany, I would recommend taking the shortcut through Austria...a beautiful drive.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:14 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fahrer
If one is driving from the Bavarian area ( eg Garmisch ) toward the sothwestern part of Germany, I would recommend taking the shortcut through Austria...a beautiful drive.
Definitely - We are going to stretch our journeys as much as possible (even more reason I'm hoping to pick up my Cayman R then). Me may even pull an overnighter down to Milan... Thanks again to all and to the OP for starting this thread.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:47 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,433 Likes on 2,244 Posts

you might also want to check out sixt.de as they have/had M3's for rental ...
Old 11-30-2010, 07:56 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

My buddy & I did a tour in September from Munich to Stuttgart and did the Porsche factory tour, Porsche museum and Mercedes museum. If you have time the Mercedes museum is very worthwhile.

After that we went to the 'Ring and rented VW Sciroccos. The 'Ring is awesome.

From there we drove south to Switzerland. We went to Interlaken, went up the mountain to the rotating restaurant in Her Majesty's Secret Service (Piz Gloria on the Shilthorn), drove to Zermatt and saw the Matterhorn. Then to Davos and we did the Stelvio Pass. On the way to Davos we drove a loop called the 3 passes. This was the highlight of Switzerland for me. It was clear so we had staggering views. Just unbelievable.

Then the Stelvio Pass, which was pretty cool and back to Munich for Oktoberfest.

Highlights:
Porsche Factory Tour
'Ring
3 Passes
Oktoberfest
Old 11-30-2010, 09:48 PM
GrahamML
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you know a bit of German (or open the same web pages in English for the translation) you can rent a Porsche from Avis for 199 Euro/day.

http://www.avis.de/Fleet.aspx
Old 12-01-2010, 06:36 AM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are a PCA member, they can connect you with someone at the factory to coordinate your tour in Zuffenhausen. We actually got a private tour of the factory. The museum is a must see - and the Christophorus restaurant is excellent. Also take in the Mercedes museum while in Stuttgardt. Interesting that the Mercedes museum tour starts at the top of the building and moves down while the Porsche museum tour does the opposite!

The only factory owned dealership is also on the Porsche museum/factory site. You can spend a few hours there as well.

Quick Reply: Planning a trip to Germany this summer