Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CPO cover synchro issues ?

Old 11-04-2010, 02:21 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy CPO cover synchro issues ?

I have a 2005 C2S Cab - 6 speed manual with short shifter. CPO'd last fall - extends warranty to Nov 2011. Summer daily driver and DE car. About 55k km (34k miles).

Shifting into 4th has been getting progressively more "grindy" this fall - mostly notice on upshifts - not so much on down shifts but then I am always rev-matching on down shift.

The grinding seems to be pretty much independent of RPM when I shift. Only thing that seems to completely eliminate it is a distinct and significant pause in neutral first. This is not aggressive shifting that causes the grind - just regular run of the day street driving. Seems a little better when warmed up but still happens. At the track, with faster shifting, have actually had a couple of times when I just couldn't get into 4th at all (no grinding - more like hitting the gate) ... nasty feeling I assure you ... Dealer test drove car and claims 2nd and 3rd issues as well but I had not really noticed.

Suspect the 4th (and maybe the 3rd as well) synchro is worn. Not sure I buy the dealer's comment about 2nd as its steel vs. carbon - right ? Does anyone have experience getting this sort of issue addressed under CPO coverage ?

If not covered - anyone have any idea what I'm looking at to open it up and replace the wearing synchros ?

Any other things to consider first ?
Old 11-04-2010, 02:28 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Is the "short shifter" aftermarket or OEM? Was it one the car prior to the CPO or after?

When's that last time you've done a trans fluid service? Did you do a used oil analysis?
Old 11-04-2010, 02:33 PM
LENELSA
Advanced

I just had 1st & 2nd gear syncros replaced under CPO on my 2005 997S.
I was having trouble shifting into 1st from a dead stop.
Luckily it did it to my Service Rep. at Porsche as well.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:49 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Is the "short shifter" aftermarket or OEM? Was it one the car prior to the CPO or after?

When's that last time you've done a trans fluid service? Did you do a used oil analysis?
The shifter is OEM from Porsche - optioned by original owner. Car had "60000KM" service done at time of CPO - does not itemize transmission oil as one of the items addressed. No used oil analysis done that I am aware of.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:52 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LENELSA
Good to know. First has been a little tricky to get in at dead stop when cold as well but I've had that on lots of cars before so didn't think of it as a problem.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:04 PM
johnsjmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The syncros should be covered . I would take it to the dealer ASAP and have them test drive it. I would not mention the DEs just the upshift grinding.hard to get in first could be the clutch dragging as well but it isn,t normal and should be covered in any case If they say it,s normal I would at least want the complaint documented on an invoice as a complaint. I think from your location you are nearest to Phaff.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:08 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by johnsjmc
The syncros should be covered . I would take it to the dealer ASAP and have them test drive it. I would not mention the DEs just the upshift grinding.hard to get in first could be the clutch dragging as well but it isn,t normal and should be covered in any case If they say it,s normal I would at least want the complaint documented on an invoice as a complaint. I think from your location you are nearest to Phaff.
Car is at Mark Motors (Ottawa) right now ... they've already confirmed the shifting issue exists on a roadtest ... I'm gathering ammo for the ensuing discussion with them about whether the CPO covers it or not.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:32 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by acadian_dad
Car is at Mark Motors (Ottawa) right now ... they've already confirmed the shifting issue exists on a roadtest ... I'm gathering ammo for the ensuing discussion with them about whether the CPO covers it or not.
let us know how it ends up - from what i understand CPO covers gearbox.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:32 AM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Update - Mark Motors claims needs a test drive by PCNA rep before they can authorize any repair. Will arrange when it comes out of storage in the spring.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:38 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by LENELSA
I got the same issue, did you have to do anything to convince them to replace it?
Old 11-23-2010, 06:29 AM
1crazy canuck
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before you go that route....

I had trouble getti g from 1st to 2nd and sometimes 3rd to 4th.

One dealer told me it was syncros... Which is what I suspected it was... I was on a road trip, and stopped at another dealer when it became unbearable.

To my surprise, the tech --- ( very very experienced guy, might I add) took a look at it, and said ... That just a simple adjustment.

He took the car in the shop, and I had it back in 25-30 minutes. Was covered under factory warranty

That was 2 years ago...no problems since.

I don't have a short shifter though
Old 11-23-2010, 07:46 AM
p987yow
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Dave - I have the OEM short shifter in my Boxster. It's always a little stiff getting into 1st when cold. Porsche also mentions this in their Techequipment brochure. I do change my transmission oil every fall before I put the car away - just like to keep the fluids fresh. I hope MM supports you when the PCNA rep looks at it - too bad you couldn`t get this closed out before winter hibernation.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:25 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Getting into 1st at a stop is a common thing, and not just with Porsches, and considered normal (unless it's happening to excess of course). Grinding upshifts into 4th at speed are not normal. The syncrhos are definitely covered under CPO, provided it's had proper maintenance, and provided they don't find any after-market parts related to it. That's a clause you find in every warranty, CPO and 3rd-party, and why something like installing the LN IMS bearing could screw you royally if some other thing causes catastrophic engine failure and they find the aftermarket bearing on teardown. Could give them grounds to deny coverage.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:33 AM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Thanks Paul and Chris for the ideas. Yeah, my main concern is the grinding shift into 4th. The 1st gear thing has never been a major issue for me and I assumed was probably normal. But I will ask if there is a shifter adjustment that might be made.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:39 AM
Galvano
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

My car had the 5th gear synchro replaced under warranty prior to my purchase. When cold I have trouble shifting into 1st from a dead stop. Is this a common problem with the older 997s?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CPO cover synchro issues ?