997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I changed my battery!

Old 11-07-2010, 06:53 PM
ryangambrill
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. Will take it back tomorrow. Total PITA.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:58 PM
eriojas
Track Day

I just finished changing the battery for my MY 08 GT3 5 mis ago, a Maxx 48 from Walmart, fit perfectly, got the TC and PASM failure messages, but cleared seconds later, just as i moved the car in reverse, .

I did not use the battery tender, as it was upstairs, Im too lazy, did it in 5 mins....

dont be afraid...

cheers from Mexico
Old 11-09-2010, 08:04 PM
ryangambrill
Pro

Got the new one yesterday and put it in the car within 5 min.

Thanks guys.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:13 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our cars actually have a spot in the fuse box to connect to while changing the battery.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:42 AM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone
FWIW, I've never gotten more than @ 3 yrs out of a battery, living here in CA, I don't care how long they are rated for. I've pretty much had mine die at the 36 mo mark like clockwork. Anybody who gets more usage than that is doing real good, imho.
+1
Same experience over the last 10 years no matter what battery I used. I switched to a Sears Die Hard Gold this time. I doubt it will make a difference.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:05 AM
THinthedesert
Advanced

I just purchased the MAXX 94R from Walmart to put into my 08 C2S and I have a question.

I noticed on the top of the new battery it looks there are vent holes drilled on either side where a vent line could be connected but neither of them appear to be drilled all the way into the battery.

Are we supposed to do something to "punch" one of those through to use the existing vent line?

Thanks.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:04 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by THinthedesert
I just purchased the MAXX 94R from Walmart to put into my 08 C2S and I have a question.

I noticed on the top of the new battery it looks there are vent holes drilled on either side where a vent line could be connected but neither of them appear to be drilled all the way into the battery.

Are we supposed to do something to "punch" one of those through to use the existing vent line?

Thanks.
I just did the same thing - on the red plastic square cover over the positive terminal there was an instruction booklet attached. It says to detach the red plastic vent plug that is part of the square cover. The battery has two vent outlets - put the vent plug in the hole on the driver's side of the battery and connect the vent tube to the passenger side of the battery. No need to drill any holes.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:05 PM
THinthedesert
Advanced

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
I just did the same thing - on the red plastic square cover over the positive terminal there was an instruction booklet attached. It says to detach the red plastic vent plug that is part of the square cover. The battery has two vent outlets - put the vent plug in the hole on the driver's side of the battery and connect the vent tube to the passenger side of the battery. No need to drill any holes.
Thanks for the reply. You were 100% correct and the instructions were so small I just didn't notice them.

I just changed the battery and kept my Porsche Battery Maintainer plugged in while I did it and nothing changed after it was done. The radio presets are still there and nothing was different at all. The MAXX 94R fit perfectly too and the hole for the breather tube & the fitting was like they were made for each other.

My dealer quoted me about $300 for a new battery and the labor to do it!
Old 11-20-2010, 04:32 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the reply. You were 100% correct and the instructions were so small I just didn't notice them.

I just changed the battery and kept my Porsche Battery Maintainer plugged in while I did it and nothing changed after it was done. The radio presets are still there and nothing was different at all. The MAXX 94R fit perfectly too and the hole for the breather tube & the fitting was like they were made for each other.

My dealer quoted me about $300 for a new battery and the labor to do it!
I agree - great value and if there are ever any problems I don't think Walmart is going to ask if you drive 6,000 miles a year. Also, I had the battery disconnected for about 15 minutes during the changeover and I didn't lose any presets - the clock even figured out the correct time. Only thing I had to do was drive the car for about a minute to get the PSM failure light to reset and I had to reset the windows following the procedure in the manual.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:20 PM
THinthedesert
Advanced

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
I agree - great value and if there are ever any problems I don't think Walmart is going to ask if you drive 6,000 miles a year. Also, I had the battery disconnected for about 15 minutes during the changeover and I didn't lose any presets - the clock even figured out the correct time. Only thing I had to do was drive the car for about a minute to get the PSM failure light to reset and I had to reset the windows following the procedure in the manual.
Since I effectively kept the car "powered" when I was changing the battery maybe the issue of PSM failure light did not occur nor did anything change in the operation of the windows.

Just out of curiosity I tried looking in my manual and I did not see anything making reference to a procedure involving resetting the windows.

My car is an 08. Can you tell me where you saw that info?? Thanks for all your help.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:55 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Since I effectively kept the car "powered" when I was changing the battery maybe the issue of PSM failure light did not occur nor did anything change in the operation of the windows.

Just out of curiosity I tried looking in my manual and I did not see anything making reference to a procedure involving resetting the windows.

My car is an 08. Can you tell me where you saw that info?? Thanks for all your help.
Look in the index under windows - believe it will be first reference and the paraagraph is titled:

Storing end position of the windows
If the battery is disconnected and reconnected,
the windows will not be raised automatically when
the door is closed.
1. Close the windows with the rocker switch
once.
2. Press the rocker switch upwards again to store
the end position of the windows in the control
unit.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:43 AM
Bruizer
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Just replaced the battery in my wife's 06 C4S. The car is 5 years old, trouble starting it yesterday. I used Porsche Battery Maintainer. Porsche battery weight was 47 lbs. Sears Die Hard Gold 94R was also 47 lbs. This was easy, thanks for all the tips
Old 11-21-2010, 01:38 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by cpbmd
Just buy an OEM Ctek battery maintainer for $120 and take the risk out of it. I used it and it worked perfectly.
Or buy the Ctek 3300 for less than half the price of the Porsche branded Ctek.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:50 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone
FWIW, I've never gotten more than @ 3 yrs out of a battery, living here in CA, I don't care how long they are rated for. I've pretty much had mine die at the 36 mo mark like clockwork. Anybody who gets more usage than that is doing real good, imho.
I never did either, until I started using a battery maintainer--the battery in my 06 Club Coupe is still the original and is now more than 5 years old. It's been on a battery maintainer since day one. I hook it up after every drive.

Even if you drive it every day, what I've seen is that even after driving for more than 100 miles and returning home and hooking up the maintainer (the Porsche Ctek), the battery is not fully charged. The 996/997's have a fairly significant power drain, and the alternator doesn't have enough output to run all the onboard electronics and get the battery fully charged.

The battery maintainer keeps the battery safely fully charged and also helps prolong battery life. I've also noticed that the water level in the battery stays full too. In the past I always had to add water to batteries that were not kept on a maintainer.

Seriously, if your garage situation allows, invest in a Ctek 3300 (which is the non-Porsche branded equivalent of the Porsche dual mode maintainer) with cigarette lighter adapter, and use it aways. Takes a few seconds and will greatly increase your battery life.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:27 PM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 102 Posts

That is very interesting. I guess I will start to use that battery maintainer routinely. I have only used it in the winter. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I changed my battery!