Sponsored by:

MY09 windshield washer not working...

Old 09-09-2013, 05:44 PM
myw
Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

much appreciated advice minok!

Originally Posted by Minok View Post
I've seen this on other cars too, where the hoses pop loose so the washer fluid just sprays internal in the cowling. My VW had very small (hose sized) spring clamps... I think you can buy such clamps at hardware stores as well.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:19 AM
ait109
User

Thank you for this thread. This was the problem I was having on my 996 turbo. In my car part #18 consists of two pieces and the lower part (that was still solidly fitted to the lower hose) had come loose from the tee and only a small amount of fluid was dribbling out of the washers with the rest being sprayed all over the inside of the battery compartment.

Ed
Old 03-22-2014, 08:58 PM
Cloudspin
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm having the same problem so it was great to see this resurrected thread. Thanks!
Old 06-23-2015, 02:05 PM
genyosai
User

I'm having the same issue with my 997.2 . The headlight washers work fine, so I figure the fuse to the entire washer system is fine, but my windshield washers do not spray.

Is there any write-up on how exactly to get to these hoses and to the windshield washer pump?

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2015, 12:21 PM
ait109
User

Originally Posted by genyosai View Post
I'm having the same issue with my 997.2 . The headlight washers work fine, so I figure the fuse to the entire washer system is fine, but my windshield washers do not spray.

Is there any write-up on how exactly to get to these hoses and to the windshield washer pump?

Thanks!
In my 996, open the hood and remove the battery cover. Activate windshield washers. If liquid is spraying everywhere then you should be easily able to see which of the tubes to the #18 tee that disconnected.

Ed
Old 06-24-2015, 02:27 PM
genyosai
User

Originally Posted by ait109 View Post
In my 996, open the hood and remove the battery cover. Activate windshield washers. If liquid is spraying everywhere then you should be easily able to see which of the tubes to the #18 tee that disconnected.

Ed
Uhg. All of my lines are secured nicely. I guess my next question is..... how easy is it (and how) to get to the washer pump. Obviously the headlight washer and windshield washer use separate pumps because when I activate the windshield washer.... I don't hear anything, yet the headlight washer runs like a champ. I should at least hear the pump trying to do something if it were working.

When looking in the fuse panel, it seems that the headlight and windshield washer system is on the same circuit because I do not see a separate listing for each. Does anyone know this to be otherwise?

Thanks!
Old 06-25-2015, 05:21 PM
Minok
Super User

Originally Posted by genyosai View Post
Uhg. All of my lines are secured nicely. I guess my next question is..... how easy is it (and how) to get to the washer pump. Obviously the headlight washer and windshield washer use separate pumps because when I activate the windshield washer.... I don't hear anything, yet the headlight washer runs like a champ. I should at least hear the pump trying to do something if it were working.

When looking in the fuse panel, it seems that the headlight and windshield washer system is on the same circuit because I do not see a separate listing for each. Does anyone know this to be otherwise?

Thanks!
In many cars, the washer pump is located IN the washer fluid tank at the bottom of it - so go to the washer fluid tank and look for it there. Measure voltages at the plug to the pump to validate the wiring is good to the pump - then you know if its upstream wiring or the pump itself.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:10 PM
wwilliams88
Addict
Rennlist Member

I developed a severe leak in my windshield washer that was causing the tank to empty within 24 hours. The pumps appeared to be working, but i had to remove the tank to determine the cause. Turns out the internal seal of the windshield washer pump had failed and fluid was leaking out of the housing.

In the process I documented the steps needed to remove the tank for your reference in the attached PDF. Hope this helps.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Windshield Washer Tank DIY.pdf (3.57 MB, 158 views)
Old 08-30-2018, 02:25 PM
jayi836
User

Wwilliams thanks for the DIY, my new to me 08 turbo, not working at all now. will check fuses and the pump.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:56 PM
amplitude
User

Ughh... Developed the leaky windshield washer fluid tank last week; evidenced by fluid dumping out aft of the driver's side front tire/ahead of the driver's door. At first, thought it was something more severe, but the fluid was clear, and got the washer fluid low warning upon start up. More a pain in the *** than anything else...
Old 09-01-2018, 05:23 PM
jayi836
User

Headlight washers are working guess its step 2, remove the wheel and liner to check the pump, I do hear a click when activating the windshield washer

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MY09 windshield washer not working...

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: