Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used 997 C4S Cabriolet vs. new Boxster S

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 05:03 PM
CBnAT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every time your driving your Boxster and you see a 911, you will wish it was yours. I doubt you will feel the same way when you are driving a 911 and see a Boxster.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:12 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CBnAT
Every time your driving your Boxster and you see a 911, you will wish it was yours. I doubt you will feel the same way when you are driving a 911 and see a Boxster.

Yeah, Every time I see a CGT I can only stew and fret over what a crummy POS my car is.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:42 PM
limbo
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Having just come out of an '07 Boxster and beginning the familiarity with my '10 997.2 PDK, I'll share my thoughts:

The 987 is a very, very accessible vehicle. I echo Nugget's comments about it making you appear like a better driver than you sometimes are. It's unflappable, planted, and just fun - and the fun factor does increase when the top comes down. You can have a conversation at 70mph with the top down, and use it reliably with the top down even into weather that has most convertible drivers with their tops up. It's an excellent vehicle, and ranks as the most trouble-free car I've ever owned.

That said, I needed a touch more space, wanted more power (there's no denying that it could benefit from some) and have had the desire for a 911 for a well over a decade.

The 997.1 and 997.2 are a completely different ball of wax from a 987. There's a little more creature comfort (which is nice for a road car) but there's an immediacy to the cars that cannot be denied, and the power/torque differential is tremendous in application.

There's no denying that after a month I don't drive the 997 as well as I drove the Boxster, but to echo Nugget once again, I'm certain that based on my early experience that I most certainly will enjoy the learning experience that's before me.

Have fun with your decision!

MB
Old 08-18-2010, 06:23 PM
Roffensian
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK that one hit home!

Part of me feels the same way over a 997.1 vs a 997.2, but that's getting greedy

I really appreciate the feedback guys - I moderate a forum (totally unconnected to cars) and know that some of the noob questions can be frustrating, thanks for making me feel welcome!
Old 08-18-2010, 10:45 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 166 Posts

The Boxter, with its mid-engine set-up, is better handling in an autocross sense. But the Boxter is indeed underpowered (even the S), and is a bit of a toy compared to a C4S. That said, last week one of the instructors from the Porsche Driving School told me that the Boxter Spyder is absolutely incredible and would probably be his choice at this point.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:33 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by raspritz
That said, last week one of the instructors from the Porsche Driving School told me that the Boxter Spyder is absolutely incredible and would probably be his choice at this point.
I can definitely project and see what he means.

Drove a 987S and it was a blast: total fun. I got to put it thru its paces on back roads all afternoon once. Complete joy and never felt terrified. Mid-engine is a dream (at least in my head).

Same thing with current car? Can you spell 'Depends?'
Attached Images  
Old 08-19-2010, 08:28 PM
ptp54487
5th Gear

I have a 911 and every time I pass a Boxster I wish it were mine . If I didn't need the rear seats, I'd be at the dealer right now. That said, the Boxster is underpowered and does carry a stigma to it, and the 911 has more character in its handling. But for me taking a Boxster around a sweeping curve is the best driving experience Porsche has to offer.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:46 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some great comments on this thread guys. Nugget, I enjoyed your story.
And the highlight:
Originally Posted by Nugget

Nothing about buying a Porsche is a "head" issue. It's all "heart" so that's where your loyalty should fall.
That is EXACTLY the point!

This is also true:
Now for the 997.1 or .2 you mentioned I know that once you start, you can rationalize into exceeding your budget over and over until you convince yourself that it is a good deal! Been there done that and dont regret it for one second, so... explore the options. If you can import from the US, maybe a 2010 C4 or C2 (not S) could be in reach! Sht you are standing near the clif... Jump or someone from this group WILL push you
Old 08-19-2010, 09:45 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 14 Posts

I've owned a 986S, & 987.
997.2 Cab is more enjoyable overall for me, particularly for road trips. Cockpit space is much more relaxing.
Boxster S and my Cayman S were more fun on an afternoon jaunt up the Tail of the Dragon.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:40 PM
TylerCoupe
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 47 Posts

I have a 987S and a 997.1C4s coupe. I love driving the Boxster and its the perfect convertible. It is slightly underpowered when compared to the C4S but I hardly ever notice and it does not diminsh the enjoyment of driving. The car is perfectly balanced. The 997 also brings a smile to my face everytime i drive...I love the extra power and the stability of a coupe. I never use the back seats of the 911 and have considered removing...but when folded down..they make a better shelf for placing your golf clubs. If I had to pick one...I would go for a 911 coupe as its a better daily driver...If I wanted the better convertible for weekends only...I think the Boxster wins...I am not as big of fan of the 911 convertible...its nice...but I think you get more for the money with the Boxster.

Which of my cars gets the most attention...well its neither one of the Porsches...its the GEM pictured below...which does 30mph tops but is all electric...great vehicle to get me around the resort to the pool or golf courses.
Attached Images  

Last edited by TylerCoupe; 09-09-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:31 PM
Roffensian
4th Gear

I was hoping to go to the dealer this weekend to test drive both, although I think that dearly beloved may have made plans. I'm only about 120km / 75 miles from Pfaff who seem to have a good reputation and good inventory.

I am starting to lean more towards the 997, I suspect that I was subconsciously looking for endorsement by posting in the 997 forum , but of course then it becomes about which one and how much. The idea of a new one custom ordered to my exact wants really appeals, and the cost issue is slightly artificial in that it's more guilt about spending that much more than anything else.

There definitely is also some resentment about paying so much more because I am this side of the border - the difference in MSRP on my 'perfect' spec is $26,500, which seems rather excessive!

At the end of the day I suspect that this will simply be my first Porsche so it will only be a matter of time anyway
Old 08-20-2010, 09:26 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 539 Likes on 283 Posts

You really can't go wring with either, they're great cars? Do you need AWD? Do you need a back seat?

You'll generally get nicer features on the 911, and it feels a little more expensive.

I love the Boxster S, and based on pure driving experience I would choose it the next time over the 997 (and the set out to find power after market!)
Old 08-22-2010, 12:55 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 849 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by Roffensian
OK that one hit home!

Part of me feels the same way over a 997.1 vs a 997.2, but that's getting greedy

I really appreciate the feedback guys - I moderate a forum (totally unconnected to cars) and know that some of the noob questions can be frustrating, thanks for making me feel welcome!
Second that! Went from a 996 to a 997.1 and then to a 987 last summer Aug 2009 calling myself downsizing and trying something different and less flashy (we are in a recession right). So the short of the story is I was back in a 997.2 by Jan 2010! Boxster was great, top down every time I could. Drove like a dream and made me feel like Walter Rohl at times however didn't really challenge me as much as a Carrera did and the added space and power of the Carrera is nice to have when needed. Also yes every time I saw a 997 while in the Boxster I did wish I was in my Carrera again. So I traded back to the 997...dealer (and good friend) concurred that not many folks he'd seen go from a Carrera to a Boxster and enjoy it...other than those who were lucky enough to have BOTH. Usually he said the transaction goes from Boxster to Carrera or sometimes Cayman but usually not the other way. Boxster is a great car and for top down driving I'd not mind having one again but not without my Carrera. Just my 2 cents and experience with the models.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:26 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 47 Posts

I have a 997 TT and a 987 S. I'm a lucky guy and sometimes have a tough time choosing which one to drive. For drop top fun and a spirited drive in the country and on the track I like the 987. As others have said, they are two different animals. If I had to give one up, I would keep the 911 but frankly I love em both. Go drive them and decide, either way you win. Good luck
Old 08-22-2010, 10:34 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the track the Boxster may be underpowered against specific 997 models, but on the street the Boxster is not underpowered. If you intend to track the car, then the power could possibly be an issue if you are up against an experienced driver.
Dont let others fool you into thinking you have to have more power for street driving. I had them both until recently and loved them both for two totally different reasons. The boxster handles extremely well in curves and corners and is really fun to drive. The 997 provides a different feel and you have to drive them for yourself to determine which one is the car for you.
Actually, I prefer the Boxster over the 997 for traveling since I came get both of my suitcases in the two trunks. The 997 is smaller when it come to luggage and traveling.
You cant go wrong with either one of the cars. Ultimately, it is your decision.

Quick Reply: Used 997 C4S Cabriolet vs. new Boxster S