Sponsored by:

PDK - Trail Braking, couple other q's

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 02:11 PM
wogamax
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default PDK - Trail Braking, couple other q's

Can you apply both the brake and gas pedal (as done w/Trail Braking) in the PDK cars w/o killing gas to the engine? If so, is this ability an option, or standard on all PDK equiped 997's? I am a little confused on whether "Sport Plus" is an option or a standard item. I've seen a button on some, but not other consoles. I've seen both "sport" and "sport plus" buttons, too

Is there any "lock" mode that will keep 2nd all the way down to stall? I ask knowing the reverse is true, where you can bounce off the rev limiter until you upshift. The reason is to get around the "am I going to be in second, or first?" guessing game at low rev's. I own a DSG and we've been punched in the back a few times by latent 1st gear downshifts under throttle and I'm curious what take PDK owners have on the issue. It seems these cars could either execute the shift because of rev's, or just slip the clutch more as many MT drivers do.

Thanks. I'm still in fact gathering mode and am otherwise fine with the idea of tooling around a track using PDK.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:02 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

I have never tested if you can brake and apply throttle simultaneously. Sport and Sport Plus requires the Sports Chrono option - not all cars have it.

The PDK auto downshifting for a stop depends very much on your brake application profile. If you brake as a limo driver it will go through all gears including 1st, if not it may not engage 1st before a full stop. I have experienced both.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:47 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 200 Posts

Do you mean more of a left foot braking technique?

Trail braking does not include gas and brake at the same time. It is a gradual release of the brake pedal while steering input is gradually increased.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:00 PM
Roverrich
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Do you mean more of a left foot braking technique?

Trail braking does not include gas and brake at the same time. It is a gradual release of the brake pedal while steering input is gradually increased.
1+

To OP, you are talking about left foot braking.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:10 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Roverrich
1+

To OP, you are talking about left foot braking.
I suspect he is.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:32 PM
wogamax
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

True. I hadn't thought about no-clutch making the left foot an excellent candidate for the brake pedal. It's the same question however, becuase we are talking about putting drive into the rear wheels while braking all four and then gently modulating off the brake, and onto the gas. All of this at the moment of turn in, to point the car and take advantage of the grip coming from a loaded front end. I really wasn't looking to start a thread on technique. Honest.

So, can all PDK 997's do this, or does stepping on the brake, with either foot, kill engine power?

Many modern cars cut power when you step on the brake. They don't just brake, when you step on the brake pedal. Thanks for the replies.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:28 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this is an old thread but I've been thinking about the same thing so I'm bumping it.

Originally Posted by wogamax
So, can all PDK 997's do this, or does stepping on the brake, with either foot, kill engine power?

Many modern cars cut power when you step on the brake. They don't just brake, when you step on the brake pedal. Thanks for the replies.
AFAIK *all* 997's cut power when you step on the brake. They have e-gas "brake-throttle override". On the manual 997's you get about 0.5 seconds of overlap allowed before the throttle is cut. I don't know but I suspect the PDK is the same.

What is you can left foot brake with just a quick dab of pressure to set the nose for a corner, but you can't use hard left foot braking to transfer weight.

Even if you could, the PSM automatically comes on under braking, so any fun you were going to have with left foot braking is not allowed.

IMO these are two very negative things for a real sports car. I should be able to have brake and throttle at the same time if I want to, and I should have a true PSM off mode that lets me do "braking drifts" and such.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:42 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

cbzzoom - see also here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...rs-pdking.html for additional thoughts.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:12 PM
cbzzoom

Originally Posted by cello
cbzzoom - see also here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...rs-pdking.html for additional thoughts.
Thanks, hadn't seen that. I certainly understand why Porsche does it for safety, but it would be nice if there was a secret kill switch for the nannies.

Does the GT3 have the same issues? (PSM reactivates on braking, brake-throttle cut)
Old 03-25-2011, 05:02 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

all Porsches since 2000 have e-gas. Cars with e-gas cut the engine if you press the brakes while on the gas. The delay before the engine returns to idle is from one half to one second. This to prevent a runaway engine since e-gas cars have no direct connection to the engine. The gas pedal is a sensor connected to the engine computer. You can see why Porsche built in a safeguard.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:22 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Yes! fuel is not cut if you touch the brake pedal on my 2009 PDK Carrera S.....sorry Bob R but this does work on these cars unlike the other 997's.. Sport Chrono Plus is an option and a very important option to have with PDK.

Originally Posted by wogamax
Can you apply both the brake and gas pedal (as done w/Trail Braking) in the PDK cars w/o killing gas to the engine? If so, is this ability an option, or standard on all PDK equiped 997's? I am a little confused on whether "Sport Plus" is an option or a standard item. I've seen a button on some, but not other consoles. I've seen both "sport" and "sport plus" buttons, too

Is there any "lock" mode that will keep 2nd all the way down to stall? I ask knowing the reverse is true, where you can bounce off the rev limiter until you upshift. The reason is to get around the "am I going to be in second, or first?" guessing game at low rev's. I own a DSG and we've been punched in the back a few times by latent 1st gear downshifts under throttle and I'm curious what take PDK owners have on the issue. It seems these cars could either execute the shift because of rev's, or just slip the clutch more as many MT drivers do.

Thanks. I'm still in fact gathering mode and am otherwise fine with the idea of tooling around a track using PDK.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:57 PM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Originally Posted by mdrums
Yes! fuel is not cut if you touch the brake pedal on my 2009 PDK Carrera S.....sorry Bob R but this does work on these cars unlike the other 997's.. Sport Chrono Plus is an option and a very important option to have with PDK.
Absolutely. How could you heel and toe if the gas pedal were neutralised by the brake pressure sensors?
Old 03-27-2011, 08:18 PM
cbzzoom

Originally Posted by Betternotbigger
Absolutely. How could you heel and toe if the gas pedal were neutralised by the brake pressure sensors?
Why would you heel and toe a PDK?

On manual cars, sorry, you are wrong. Porsches cut the throttle when you brake. They allow you a second or so of overlap, which allows you to heel-toe. Just go try it in your car and you will see.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:23 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

You can heel and toe a manual car....PDK you do not heel and toe...it has NO CLUTCH PEDAl..what's wrong with you guys...WOW!

Also with PDK you can apply accellerator and brake at same time. I drag mine down the street to help clean out the pad residue a little when swapping brak pads for track events.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:17 PM
cbzzoom

Originally Posted by mdrums
Also with PDK you can apply accellerator and brake at same time. I drag mine down the street to help clean out the pad residue a little when swapping brak pads for track events.
Huh, interesting, good to know. I thought it was in all the cars as a safety feature. PDK is looking more and more appealing!

Quick Reply: PDK - Trail Braking, couple other q's