Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion, get together on Saturday the 14th?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 11:48 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingArt
Oh, that's a bummer. I really enjoyed that event last year.

Thanks for the update Tony.

Phil
There's an event though in Carmel on Thu between noon and 2PM with the Pebble Bech cars on Ocean Ave. I plan to be there.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:12 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Lightbulb Tue's Carmel event still open

Originally Posted by ADias
The Concours on the Avenue (on Tue) was cancelled this year.
Originally Posted by RollingArt
Oh, that's a bummer. I really enjoyed that event last year.
Phil & all-- I was hearing that Tues' Carmel Concours was cancelled

FYI, instead it's simply been scaled back -- their homepage currently says
Originally Posted by CarmelConcours.com

Limited Edition Event Tuesday, August 10, 2010
Open to the public for viewing 12:00 noon - 1:30 PM
I should be there again -- last year's was a charmer.

LOTS of great photos by RJT on the "Monterey '09 photo thread: Laguna, Pebble, Quail, etc."
For starters:
Originally Posted by RJT

Nice talking to you Jager. I'll give you a call tomorrow and maybe we can get together for a drink.

Glockler:

Old 08-07-2010, 08:14 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by curve lover

FYI, instead it's simply been scaled back -- their homepage currently says I should be there again -- last year's was a charmer.
I think that the event is definitely cancelled for this year. The link you posted was not updated.

Here is my photo report from last year's event.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:15 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Tony-- ^^ Nice pix!

FYI, instead it's simply been scaled back -- their homepage currently says

I think that the event is definitely cancelled for this year. The link you posted was not updated.
The link I posted is the event's homepage.

Since Carmel's Tue Concours is arguably Monterey car week's first event, it's time-critical to relay facts. Identifying dated website content that states cancellation would be helfpul. A link to a site more authoritative than the event's homepage, or an e-mail from them regarding why they aren't updated would be ideal.

Examples...
Today, 7 Aug-- E-mailed address on carmelConcours.com, info@motorclubevents.com, & courtesy copied info@carmelfoundation.org the following:
Carmelconcours.com and motorclubevents.com both state a Limited Edition Event Tuesday, August 10, 2010 is open to the public for viewing 12:00 noon - 1:30 PM.

An enthusiast thinks the event is definitely cancelled for this year, & that your site was not updated. Please confirm.
As of Aug 7-- Organizer's homepages carmelConcours.com and motorClubEvents.com had already been updated from stating 2010's "Open to the public for viewing 11:00 AM - 5:00 PM" to:

Aug 6-- NewYorkTimes.com published Carmel's Concours as the 1st of 16 "Classic Car Events on the Monterey Peninsula:"
Originally Posted by The New York Times
CARMEL-BY-THE-SEA CONCOURS ON THE AVENUE Tuesday, Aug. 10. Ocean Avenue, Carmel. Free. (404) 237-2633. motorclubevents.com
Aug 4-- FerrariChat.com's "Myles' List of Holy Week Events" thread posted:
Originally Posted by RRRREDRVR
I put this together for our Ferrari Carmel group, of events next week.
Myles

TUESDAY - August 10

Carmel-By-The-Sea Concours on the Avenue - special LIMITED EDITION display of selected cars on Ocean Ave. This will be taking place from 12:00 - 1:30, and will include filming of an episode of Chasing Classic Cars. It sounds like fun, and we plan to check it out. Our best wishes to Doug and Jeanie and hope that this fabulous event can return to its full glory in 2011.
July 27-- RLer posted regarding Carmel's Concours:
Originally Posted by mo
sponsors dropped out. Latest word is a three or four hour three block car display – no judging, would be 10 or 11am to 1pm.
July 19-- Per AutoWeek.com's "Carmel Concours Continues: The little concours that could:"
Originally Posted by AutoWeek.com

After rumors and speculation that it was cancelled, the Carmel-by-the-Sea Concours on the Avenue is on, albeit in a somewhat more limited form this year.

Previous Carmel concours events ran over two days and took up several blocks of Ocean Avenue in downtown Carmel, and there were about 200 fabulous cars.

This year’s concours will cover only two blocks of Ocean Avenue and run only one day, Aug. 10. But it’s still free, and you’ll still be able to see some cool cars. This year there will be about 30 of them.
I'll post here if the organizers respond to my e-mail that asked if their event's cancelled.
Hopefully helpful; many really enjoyed that event last year
Old 08-08-2010, 08:40 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Another handy overview of the whole week, in addition to a couple of the above links:
CarmelCalifornia.com's "CALENDAR OF EVENTS."

Specifics for Thurs' "Pebble Beach Tour d'Elegance:"
Originally Posted by pebbleBeachConcours.net

August 12
7 – 8 a.m. Cars line up near Collins Field in Pebble Beach
8:30 a.m. Tour departs, tracing portions of 17-Mile Drive and Highway One
10:45 a.m. Select cars stop at Carmel Mission
11:30 – 12 noon Tour arrives in Carmel-by-the-Sea
12 noon – 2 p.m. Cars are displayed on Ocean Avenue
2 – 2:30 p.m. Tour returns to Pebble Beach
More of the following photography of last year's tour by RLer RJT is on the "Monterey '09 photo thread: Laguna, Pebble, Quail, etc."
Originally Posted by RJT

Old 08-10-2010, 04:36 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Today, 7 Aug-- E-mailed address on carmelConcours.com, info@motorclubevents.com, & courtesy copied info@carmelfoundation.org the following:
URL]:"I'll post here if the organizers respond to my e-mail that asked if their event's cancelled.
Hopefully helpful; many really enjoyed that event last year
Carmel's going on right now!

Response from Carmel Foundation's Development Manager:
Originally Posted by Carmel Foundation

Good morning. Initially, the event was deferred to next year, however, Motor Club Events, LLC. has decided to host the Limited Edition Event as you have stated. It will be 43 cars as opposed to the larger venue as seen in the past years. I hope this helps.
FWIW, I'm scheduled for private showing of the The Porsche 918 Spyder prototype in person in a few hours. Fingers crossed!
Old 08-13-2010, 04:33 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I have more to share, but a few of Tues' photos start on this post of the "Monterey 2010 photo thread: Pebble, Laguna, Legends, Quail, etc. ...918 Spyder!"
Anyone else go?
Originally Posted by sansh2o
It was great hanging out today in Monterey too.
+1!

Carmel's always quaint...

Old 08-20-2010, 10:54 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Happy Birthday, Bruce! I'll be the 60 years young guy wearing the blue Racer's Group hat and a white Porsche/Martini Racing shirt. Hope to see you there.
Sorry I missed you Saturday Mike, did you make it out?

I enjoyed Friday at Consorso, Saturday @ Laguna and Sunday at PB. Picture of the Veyron is my Dad going for a ride - he loved it! He turned 70 this year, myself 40, it was wonderful to experience the weekend together.
Attached Images      
Old 08-21-2010, 03:19 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce R
Sorry I missed you Saturday Mike, did you make it out?

I enjoyed Friday at Consorso, Saturday @ Laguna and Sunday at PB. Picture of the Veyron is my Dad going for a ride - he loved it! He turned 70 this year, myself 40, it was wonderful to experience the weekend together.
Bruce, we were there at Laguna on Saturday. I kept an eye out for the green cap and yellow wristband, and we were at the corral around 1 PM, but didn't see you. Would have really enjoyed meeting you and your Dad.

So many great cars there; it's almost sensory overload. In addition to all that, we got to hear Jeff Zwart talk about his Pikes Peak hillclimb record and got a pic with the honoree of the weekend, Dan Gurney. Sorry we didn't connect; glad you got to spend the special time with your Dad.
Attached Images        

Quick Reply: Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion, get together on Saturday the 14th?