Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autobahn at 160mph+ What do you do when...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 02:10 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster

Nevada State Police officer who responded to my accident told me he's answered too many calls resulting from drivers swerving to miss animals on the road, even jack rabbits, and running off the road. Sometimes the results are fatal...to the driver.

Sincerely,

Macster.
We had a chat with a Nevada state Trooper also. (again on the motos, don't ask) He advised us to not travel across Nevada at night due to the many wild horses in Nevada. (we had our chat with him during the daylight) Said they seem to be around the rodes at night. Told us about a big rig driver who got a horse through his windshield at night. Killed him.

Phil
Old 07-03-2010, 02:39 PM
csorrows
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mythbusters had an episode on this kind of thing, except they were testing hitting a moose, not a dear.

If I recall, they tested three scenarios: braking hard, continuing at same speed, and speeding up, and none of them made any difference. The car (and presumably you) were equally screwed.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:19 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by csorrows
Mythbusters had an episode on this kind of thing, except they were testing hitting a moose, not a dear.

If I recall, they tested three scenarios: braking hard, continuing at same speed, and speeding up, and none of them made any difference. The car (and presumably you) were equally screwed.
I saw this one, too. Thankfully, deer are a lot lighter than moose. The best you can do is slow down as much as possible to reduce the total energy of the impact; even a few mph can make a big difference.

Brake squat isn't going to make a whole lot of difference to the deer or the car; it's going to be hitting the windshield regardless. Ducking may let the bulk of the deer and glass pass over you, but would also put your face smack in the airbag, which brings about its own risks if the strike is severe enough to deploy it. Diving sideways towards the passenger seat the moment before impact might be the best thing to do, but that's going to put your spine in a very bad position to absorb the impact, not to mention make the seatbelts and airbags ineffective.

Alternately, turn off PSM, pull the E-Brake, and let the car do what it naturally wants do to, and hit the deer ***-first
Old 07-03-2010, 03:19 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

By the time you see the deer your ability to do anything is gone. But don't make any overt moves. When driving at those speeds you have to be heads up and looking 5 miles down the road in the first place. (BTW, autobahns are designed with game passages to minimize such occurrences.)
Old 07-03-2010, 03:26 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Full on brakes, no steering, do not brace for impact.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:31 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 222 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by tooloud10
Full on brakes, no steering, do not brace for impact.
+1

When it gets close ... duck.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:35 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnwb
I might duck at impact too. I figure the deer will hit the windshield hard.
I think ducking in modern cars with airbags is probably a bad idea.

BTW not recommended at 160 mph , but at PCA Driver Skills we practiced hard braking and steering at the same time, and it is downright amazing how hard you can brake in these cars and still have good control. I think at 60 mph you could floor the brakes and still be able to steer to avoid.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:45 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Why wouldn't PSM save your a** and allow you to "gently" steer (swerve) out of the way?

Computers are supposed to be fast and the situation is a totally straight line.

If not at 160+, at which speeds does PSM come in reasonably and reliably handy? Assume clean straight roads.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:46 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 169 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
By the time you see the deer your ability to do anything is gone.
Amen. At 160mph you're travelling over 230' or 75 yards per second. Unless you're paying absolute attention, (and the OP's original scenario of "all of a sudden" kind of rules that out) you'd be on the deer by the time you even had a chance to see it and react. Game over.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:51 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 169 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
Why wouldn't PSM save your a** and allow you to "gently" steer (swerve) out of the way?

Computers are supposed to be fast and the situation is a totally straight line.

If not at 160+, at which speeds does PSM come in reasonably and reliably handy? Assume clean straight roads.
The disclaimer you always see, and it's in the Porsche manual regarding PSM: "The limits dictated by the laws of physics cannot be overcome, even by PSM"

At the speeds you're talking about, your scenario is one of those situations.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:53 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Head towards its rear. It's either going to freeze or move forward. Your best chance is to go behind.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:54 PM
TheMethLab
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FI Flyer
Your best chance is to go behind.
Ain't that the truth.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:34 PM
4 Track Mind
Advanced

Those suicidal turkeys will try and take you with them. A few weeks ago I was cruising a little over the Michigan 70 MPH limit. The animal walked toward my car obliquely. They are big.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:53 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
The disclaimer you always see, and it's in the Porsche manual regarding PSM: "The limits dictated by the laws of physics cannot be overcome, even by PSM"

At the speeds you're talking about, your scenario is one of those situations.
Yes, the line must be drawn somewhere in this physical universe.

OTOH, I'm thinking as long as all four wheels stay in contact with the road shouldn't the computer, sensors and actuators be able to stabilize the car?

In Porsche's claim I'm thinking the "laws of physics" they refer to are the laws of physics applied to the cost-constrained components they put into their PSM.

Is that possible? Just talking, no big deal.

I've seen police chase videos where straight line swerve at high speed results in disaster. However, it takes a LONG TIME for the roll over crash to occur. What could a theoretically optimal PSM do with all that time?
Old 07-03-2010, 07:04 PM
Alfaguy2
Racer

Deploy the spoiler.

Quick Reply: Autobahn at 160mph+ What do you do when...