Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Fuchs Fuchs and more Fuchs (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/577314-fuchs-fuchs-and-more-fuchs.html)

Edgy01 07-08-2010 07:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by PHDX2 (Post 7719441)
Dan, the wheels look great. Nice website, too.

Please pass along a request for pics of the wheels on a Speed Yellow Carrera. That'd be a nice addition to the website's gallery!

Thanks! :burnout:

Will pass it along.

texas911 07-08-2010 10:46 PM

Those look great! When will Porsche release them as options?

Jastx 07-08-2010 11:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I like the fact that the Fuchs are forged but prefer the the rims of the factory Sport Classic wheels compared to the Fuchs deep dish look. They are truer to the originals like the 9 x 16 on my ex-1989 930 Slantnose below:

Edgy01 07-08-2010 11:53 PM

If you ever had 9.5 by 16 inch Fuchs on your 930 they were not real Fuchs. Fuchs never made a 9.5 inch wide rim. (9x16, and 8x16s were made for them).

PHDX2 07-09-2010 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Edgy01 (Post 7719553)
Will pass it along.

:roflmao: Thanks, Dan! You are always a few steps ahead! :cheers:

Jastx 07-09-2010 12:06 AM

You're right Dan, my bad. Corrected. I still prefer the non-deep dish look on the Fuchs.

Edgy01 07-09-2010 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Jastx (Post 7720170)
You're right Dan, my bad. Corrected. I still prefer the non-deep dish look on the Fuchs.

I always loved the medium depth Fuchs--had the 7 and 8 x 16s on my narrow body Turbo.

I know that the Fuchs-Racing guys have been working hard for the last two years on developing the right look for these wheels to go with the 997. It's a true challenge in that getting sufficient offset to clear today's brakes inherently lessens the depth that you can achieve in that area.

I hope to get with them soon and try to get a set on my car and take some pictures to share with the Rennlist -- so people can get a better idea of what they really look like.

I have always been a fan of the Otto Fuchs wheels from the true 911 days and was sorely disappointed with Porsche's move to cast wheels over the years. It is my understanding that Otto Fuchs in Germany is also going to start producing these wheels as a forged wheel. Although they have considerable experience with their own wheel design, the Fuchs Racing guys in SoCal have been working the updated designs for over 2 years--I think they have a bit of a leg up on even Otto Fuchs. Clearly, the goal is a light, attractive, strong wheel that is somewhat affordable. (Remember the old rule--if you want it inexpensive, of high quality, and quick--pick any two!)

Hope to be able to show something REAL one of these days.

stevepow 07-09-2010 09:54 AM

Out of all the versions I have seen, I still prefer the Otto Fuchs version - http://www.fuchsfelge.de/index.php?id=190 - I emailed them though and have not gotten a response yet. They may not do USA either - they list SpeedArt as a distributor though.

xseal 07-09-2010 10:08 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here you go. BB pics, but they will do for now.

stevepow 07-09-2010 11:29 AM

Ha! Just got this email today...

The Sale of the new Fuchsfelge has commenced now! The long waiting for the 19” relaunch of the classical styling has an end now.

Go online under www.fuchsfelge.com <http://www.fuchsfelge.com> and order your set of the Fuchsfelge. You would prefer a live experience? In our wheel webshop you find an overview of our exclusive sales partners.

Purchasing a set of wheels you get an original accessory set as an incentive. Five black dull finished screw caps, a aluminium cladded center cap in wheel colour with a fine lined Fuchs brand mark and a tool for easy disassembly of the wheel caps is contained in this set.

Edgy01 07-09-2010 11:51 AM

Steve--let us know things (as you discover them) like how much the Otto Fuchs wheels are, their dimensions (widths and offsets) as well as weights. It will be very interesting to see how much they want for those--they will not be inexpensive!

SARGEPUG 07-09-2010 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Edgy01 (Post 7719301)
Funny you should ask...

The eBay wheels are made in China (no doubt) and weigh 28 lbs each up front and 35 lbs each for the rears!

If you want the strongest wheels you should await the Fuchs Racing FORGED wheels. A forged wheel benefits by the manufacturing process which keeps weight to a minimum and ensures a significantly higher strength over castings.

The reason the original Otto Fuchs wheels gained quickly in popularity with Porsche owners over the decades was not merely cosmetic appeal. It had to do with lighter weight and strength by being a forged wheel. Additionally, a forged wheel literally changes the shape of the aluminum molecules in a such a way as to orient the grain to benefit the strength of the wheel--castings can't do that. The molten material merely flows into a sand cast mode where it is both gravity and pressure acting upon it--it leaves a rougher finish (hence why cast wheels are mostly painted to hide that, or with limited machining to achieve the look inherent with forgings. Forged wheels can be polished much more than any casting, or anodized to give that characteristic Fuchs alloy look.

Cast wheels tend to fracture much more easily while a forged wheel will bend, perhaps, but not fracture. (Obviously, with sufficient force, it could also fracture but that is considerably rarer).

Here's an idea of what happens when you hit a curb with a cheap cast wheel:

thanks edgy!

CAHRERA 07-09-2010 03:53 PM

What I don't like about them they aren't very deep. Like the Fuchs 8in and 9in were.

Bob in NY 07-09-2010 10:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Porsche brought this 997 to the Parade with the dealer installed option of the wheels and Michelins for 5k. Looks sharp on a white wide body. My understanding is they are avail for wide body only (c4, c4s, turbo ) with tires for now,

Bob in NY 07-09-2010 10:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here they are on a 997 C4S with an X51 package, special sport exhaust and PDK