Sponsored by:

Waxing Your 997--Do You Do It Yourself?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 09:27 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wdenninger
I do it myself, and really enjoy it, but I struggle big time with removing the brake dust from inside the wheel rims...anyone have any approaches that work well?
Here's your answer:

http://www.pakshak.com/ace-powerstick-pro-line.html

Powersticks work very well.

Now, once clean with this and some P21S wheel cleaner, after it's dry, apply a sealant such as Rejex or other sealant. Wax will not last past a few good miles due to the heat from brakes. However, sealants will last longer than most.

I few applications will make your job much easier when it comes to cleaning the wheels.

Deanski
Old 06-30-2010, 09:36 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

And for those of you in NY area more on Long Island...
http://www.detailingdynamics.com/

For those in Connecticut, Sean is one of the most talented personal detailers going. And he can work wherever you want it done.

http://detailingbyexecutive.com/

Make sure you look at the exterior and interior before and after pics on the website. Then you'll understand how well he does in paint correction.

For those in Westchester NY area:

http://www.execdetails.com/

Anyone of these detailers will provide you the best service for the care of your Porsche and are very knowledgeable on Porsche paint.

Deanski
Old 06-30-2010, 11:02 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I do it myself. But I suggest that you read and learn on another car before detailing your own Porsche. One of the most important things to remember about the newer 911's is that German paint is soft. You don't want to place so much pressure when waxing or detailing that you create iatrogenic swirls and blemishes. Other than that, when you learn how to properly care for your car as was pointed out by many posters above, you become one with the car. A true bond develops that lasts forever.

My car after a recent detail.

Jay
Attached Images  
Old 06-30-2010, 11:30 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's some serious shine
Old 07-01-2010, 12:14 AM
Gj325
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJ23
I do it myself. But I suggest that you read and learn on another car before detailing your own Porsche. One of the most important things to remember about the newer 911's is that German paint is soft. You don't want to place so much pressure when waxing or detailing that you create iatrogenic swirls and blemishes. Other than that, when you learn how to properly care for your car as was pointed out by many posters above, you become one with the car. A true bond develops that lasts forever.

My car after a recent detail.

Jay
DJ what products do you use. I ordered the wife a Jet Black Cayenne Turbo. I need it to shine like your car. I have never owned a black car. Black looks great but only when properly cared for.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:14 AM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ23
...You don't want to place so much pressure when waxing or detailing that you create iatrogenic swirls and blemishes...
I had to look that one up...

Iatrogenic: "Induced inadvertently by a physician or surgeon or by medical treatment."
Old 07-01-2010, 07:07 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Gj325
DJ what products do you use. I ordered the wife a Jet Black Cayenne Turbo. I need it to shine like your car. I have never owned a black car. Black looks great but only when properly cared for.
Black is not only a challenge but a full time job in keeping it free from swirls and other defects.

First and formost, a good wash and clay will tell what the status is of the finish.

From there, most likely, polishing with mild polishes. Always start very mild (P21S Paint Cleanser) and work up. I use Menzerna polishes as I always get flawless resuluts.

Then, it's a matter of wax or sealant. Bright relective looks you can use Rejex sealant. More "warmer" sealants such as Zaino work better for a more deeper wetter look.

Deanski
Old 07-01-2010, 03:37 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love washing and waxing my cars. Its a part of ownership that I actually enjoy.

When I get a new car home, I have a ritual of reading the manual front to back, then doing the first wash. Really look forward to it as you really get to see all the details of your new car. Then apply Zaino, which I've settled on after trying other brands. To me, its the longest lasting wax, not necessarily the shiniest, but good enough for me.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:39 PM
linklaw
Advanced

I have washed several cars at the dealer before I agreed to purchase them. Washing a car is a good way to see all the imperfections that you might miss just walking around it. The first time I asked to wash a car before I bought it was in 2004 when I bought a 2001 Boxster. It was January and washing it really gave me a good look at what I was getting. Have done it a couple of times since and always pick up on dings or scratches I otherwise would have missed. As far as waxing is concerned, I have been using a Porter Cable Random Orbital Polisher with great success.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:37 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by todd.
^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's some serious shine
GJ,
I use the products from The Chemical Guys. For this detail I clayed the car, then used the Extreme EZ glaze and polish followed by M-Seal. The reason that I started using their products is that they are easy to use and they produce great results. Not a lot of detail aerobics that takes for ever. Check out their site. They have other products that you can also use over the M-Seal, such as "Blitz" that enhances the shine even better.

Jay
Old 07-01-2010, 11:52 PM
Gj325
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks DJ and Dean I will have to try out some of these. Just bought a Flex Polisher. Lucky for me I have three kids that are now driving. I can practice on their cars to perfect my skills. They for sure will never detail a car. I cant understand them when I got my first car. There was no way it ever got dirty. They never wash just want to run thru auto was at gas station. Lazy kids.

Now did I say I was lucky to have three kids driving I may have just lost my freaking mind.

Think I will increase the Umb. Policy tomw. Somebody add me to their prayer list.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:25 PM
lig
Racer

I enjoy the DIY. Wash, clay and Griot's 1 step polish/sealant followed by a coat of Poorboy's sealant.

PC makes it very difficult to screw the job up.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:26 PM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I enjoy taking care of the cars. Washed and waxed both the Porsche and the Audi this weekend. Washed and clayed the Subaru today and will wax it tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Waxing Your 997--Do You Do It Yourself?