Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: PDK shift button implementation, is it NON-INTUITIVE?
Nope, it makes sense to me
74.14%
Yes, what was Porsche thinking?
24.14%
Yes, but i have many modern Italian supercars, so of course it is crazy.
1.72%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

PDK, do you REALLY find the buttons non-intuitive / a hassle to use?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 11:45 AM
kkapoor
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone can get 'used' to the PDK button system, but intuitive it is not!
Old 06-15-2010, 12:02 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kkapoor
Anyone can get 'used' to the PDK button system, but intuitive it is not!
I'm forced to conclude buying PDK with buttons, having it delivered, and owning it makes their use "intuitive."

Old 06-16-2010, 07:13 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 540 Posts

any more votes?
Old 06-16-2010, 08:47 PM
hockeyguy
Instructor

Well, my C2S pdk is my daily driver only, and I rarely use the steering wheel buttons. I drive in manual mode about 75 percent of the time. I like using the gear shift lever, and I also like holding the steering wheel one-handed a lot.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:03 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I do appreciate that, among many bad habits, that DEs I did years ago got me out of the "one hand on the wheel" thing. Sure I still briefly do it, but not for long and not with out heightened attention.

That's one of the things I love about the PDK buttons - taking a hand off the wheel while driving now makes me about as uncomfortable as having my seat belt off.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:06 AM
ATX
Rennlist Member

I agree with ADias, rob and others here. The buttons make sense to me and I like the ability to choose either side of the wheel with the same outcome.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:23 AM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

I don't have PDK or a Tip, etc., but I have to say this:

PDK owners will defend the system because it's what they have. It has to be defended because it's on the car you just paid big $$ for and there's nothing you can do about it.

It may or may not feel "intuitive" but the system will be learned and then it'll be "intuitive." i.e., one will get trained pretty quickly. The only reason it might seem different at first is because of what came before it.

So, it'll be learned quickly and all will be fine. Whether it's "intuitive" or not ends up being sorta moot, imho.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:27 AM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by Canyon56
PDK owners will defend the system because it's what they have. It has to be defended because it's on the car you just paid big $$ for and there's nothing you can do about it.

It may or may not feel "intuitive" but the system will be learned and then it'll be "intuitive." .
Might be easy to test. Get an honest PDK owner (i.e. one who doesn't have any Porsche stock nor a personality disorder ) to let a friend drive his/her car.

To be fair give friend/driver a brief explanation on how to shift gears.

Report back what happens. I.e. how easily the brand new driver gets it.

Anyway, it's no big deal. You are correct about once you learn it, it's fine. It's just interesting trivia: did Porsche "get it wrong" or did they "make a mistake" or did they [insert your own conclusion here].
Old 06-20-2010, 11:59 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

LIBr, PSDS at Barber is the perfect place to watch non PSDS driver use PDK. I was there last March and did not hear too much complaining but what I saw happen the most was accidental upshifts due to the placement of the PDK buttons beign right where the meat of your thumb muscle is on the steering wheel. Under intense autox or tracking it is too easy to hit the upshift button with your thumb muscle on the palm of your hand. The guys that complained about the PDK shift pattern were guys that where use to pushing to downshift and pulling to upshift.
I run into this when I hope from my PDK to my Mini Cooper with the button like paddles...I have to think about it for a seconds but after a few shifts I am re trained. Yep things like this are not standardized.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:16 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by mdrums
LIBr, PSDS at Barber is the perfect place to watch non PSDS driver use PDK.
Interesting. Thanks for those details m. Again, no big deal, we're all just curious how things come about and how they work.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:06 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

since its my 1st semi auto the toggles makes sense to me. Of course if i had a paddles prior i may not feel the same way.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:14 PM
orange260z
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So far, I've found that I like Porsche's button or toggle systems on the steering wheels, particularly the ones for the PDK generation. Moving from a car with L&R "pull" paddles takes a bit of changing the muscle memory, but once there I find the system very nice to use. Although I haven't tracked the car, I haven't had any accidental shifts during spirited driving.

The console lever, on the other hand, is a bigger struggle. Of all the cars I've had with "Tip-style" shifters, I've found the push down/pull up (as in BMWs) to be easier to get used to, so I would say for me it's more intuitive. I guess with Porsche one of the problems to go this route would be that they could end up with the toggles and the lever shifting in opposite directions... but I'd be ok with that!

Anyone find an aftermarket solution for the lever shift pattern?
Old 05-08-2016, 10:29 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

They are two totally different animals. Paddles and buttons. Wifes has the buttons , I have the paddles. You get used to it after a while. But i do like to push her buttons
Old 05-08-2016, 11:06 PM
soze
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I came from a VW DSG GTI.... so Paddles for me. And I'm used to the shift **** push/upshift, pull/downshift as well.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:25 AM
AMG5PT4
Rennlist Member

Got my 2010 C2S three months ago. Had never ever shifted using a steering wheel before. Ever. Found the PDK buttons on my multi-function steering wheel to be incredibly unintuitive. The car laughed at me every time I tried to shift in Manual mode.

First mod I did to the car was $1,000 to Suncoast for a paddle shift wheel. Not one messed up shift since.

I'm sure I would have eventually figured it out, but I am a perfect study on intuitive vs unintuitive. Had no previous bias.

Al

Quick Reply: PDK, do you REALLY find the buttons non-intuitive / a hassle to use?