Sponsored by:

HELP FAST - Remanufactured Engine with Updates

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 10:48 PM
jfk308
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP FAST - Remanufactured Engine with Updates

Very close to a deal on an '05 Carrera S at a Porsche dealer that had the engine replaced under warranty due to IMS failure. I'm having trouble determining if the "new" engine has the '06 and after updates such as improved IMS bearings, RMS etc. Dealer's records are not fully available. Service manager showed me the official Porsche computer records which do show an engine failure in '09 and a replacement engine paid for by Porsche. He says when the engine came from Porsche they thought it was completely new, or remanufactured with updated IMS components etc., but I don't want to rely on just that. Here's the problem: the engine code number on the Porsche records still show the engine as an '05. If it was replaced in '09 (even with a remanufactured engine) with an engine that had the updates, wouldn't that engine had to have been built in '06 or later? Is it possible that '05 engines are used by the factory, but the updated IMS etc. components are put in, so the engine year does not actually change. Is there some way I can confirm that the engine has updates without relying on what the dealer says? If the engine stamp (which I'll see Thurs. morning) still shows an engine manufactured in '05 does that mean it could not possibly have the updates?

Really appreciate fast help if anyone knows. If the deal closes, it will be Thursday morning, so time is tight.

Thanks to all!
Old 06-09-2010, 10:58 PM
number9ine
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

There's no 100% way to tell without teardown, but the word from those who know over on Renntech say the Porsche reman engines all incorporate the latest parts including the IMS bearing update. If the reman engine was sourced from and installed by Porsche, and you get a warranty, then I'd buy with confidence.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:28 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure the 997 comes with a CPO warranty, so you are covered...
Old 06-09-2010, 11:36 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

should be easy to tell from the engine stamp if its an M96 (old IMS) or M97 (new IMS).

New or reman is also easy to tell. I believe an "X" stamped on the engine serial number makes it a reman.

Ask or search over on the 996 forum - they are experts in this stuff.....
Old 06-10-2010, 02:36 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by jfk308
Very close to a deal on an '05 Carrera S at a Porsche dealer that had the engine replaced under warranty due to IMS failure. I'm having trouble determining if the "new" engine has the '06 and after updates such as improved IMS bearings, RMS etc. Dealer's records are not fully available. Service manager showed me the official Porsche computer records which do show an engine failure in '09 and a replacement engine paid for by Porsche. He says when the engine came from Porsche they thought it was completely new, or remanufactured with updated IMS components etc., but I don't want to rely on just that. Here's the problem: the engine code number on the Porsche records still show the engine as an '05. If it was replaced in '09 (even with a remanufactured engine) with an engine that had the updates, wouldn't that engine had to have been built in '06 or later? Is it possible that '05 engines are used by the factory, but the updated IMS etc. components are put in, so the engine year does not actually change. Is there some way I can confirm that the engine has updates without relying on what the dealer says? If the engine stamp (which I'll see Thurs. morning) still shows an engine manufactured in '05 does that mean it could not possibly have the updates?

Really appreciate fast help if anyone knows. If the deal closes, it will be Thursday morning, so time is tight.

Thanks to all!
Engine serial number will contain the year the engine made.

AFAIK the only way to tell if the engine has the improved IMS bearing (whatever that is) is to look.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: HELP FAST - Remanufactured Engine with Updates