Sponsored by:

At 4yrs - warranty & service questions for 997 folks

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 10:25 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default At 4yrs - warranty & service questions for 997 folks

1. I've searched previous threads and didn't see a clear answer at what the 4yr service costs other than maybe it is the same as the 2yr. Anyone do their 4yr at the dealer and if so, what did it cost?

2. Exactly when does the warranty expire - exactly 4 years to the date of purchase, I assume?

3. I only have 19k miles and I am the original owner. I've had every service performed as required/recommended. The car has been cared for and never abused, much less even seen bad weather. It's our 3rd car... always garaged, never sits in the sun at work or anything like that - only when driven or at a restaurant or something for an hour. It doesn't leak anything and hardly consumes oil at all. Other than a smelly A/C and occasional rattle in the door I have no complaints.

My question: If I'm pretty much certain that I'll keep the car for at least 2 more years, but possibly as many as 5-6 more, should I seriously consider an extended warranty?

I have good cash reserves allocated for unexpected repairs on this car and my M3. It is my understanding that with 997's if they are going to have some costly problems that these are more likely to occur with mileage rather than age. If I'm averaging 5k miles on my car per year, I'm skeptical that a 2 year extended warranty will be offering me worthwhile protection for this period given my car's low miles, and lack of certain worries because I'm the original owner (I think CPO & extended warranties make better sense if you are, say, the 3rd owner and don't know anything about how the first two owners treated the car, for example).

Thanks for your replies.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:23 AM
pt767
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just completed the 4 year at my local dealer (Desert European Motorcars) in Rancho Mirage, CA. I'm pretty much in the same boat (extra car/'06S w' 15K miles) as you except I'm the 2nd owner of the car. The 4 year service is pretty much the same as the 2 year service. The local dealer was offering a coupon that knocked the service down to the $550 range including a brake flush. I felt this was reasonable considering I paid around $800 for the 2 year service (same service/different dealer).

As far as the warranty, I'm not 100% sure but I believe you're spot on that it expires on the date the car was delivered.

Extended warranties opinions vary. I like you feel good about my car. It doesn't use oil, leak any fluids...no issues. Extended warranties are no more than insurance. If you use the policy, it was probably worth it, it not...the insurance company wins. I'll explore the options between now & next month (when my warranty expires) but for now I'm leaning towards not getting it. The service Mgr. at the local dealer said the 997's have been good but fellow Rennlister's (I'm sure) have other opinions/experiences.

No right or wrong answer....just answer the ?....Do you feel lucky?

I'm also possibly selling the car (not for warranty reasons) to get a PDK Cab. This is my 1st Porsche...I'm hooked & want to try a Cab.

Good luck w' your decision & check your local dealer for service specials
Old 06-10-2010, 02:50 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
1. I've searched previous threads and didn't see a clear answer at what the 4yr service costs other than maybe it is the same as the 2yr. Anyone do their 4yr at the dealer and if so, what did it cost?

2. Exactly when does the warranty expire - exactly 4 years to the date of purchase, I assume?

3. I only have 19k miles and I am the original owner. I've had every service performed as required/recommended. The car has been cared for and never abused, much less even seen bad weather. It's our 3rd car... always garaged, never sits in the sun at work or anything like that - only when driven or at a restaurant or something for an hour. It doesn't leak anything and hardly consumes oil at all. Other than a smelly A/C and occasional rattle in the door I have no complaints.

My question: If I'm pretty much certain that I'll keep the car for at least 2 more years, but possibly as many as 5-6 more, should I seriously consider an extended warranty?

I have good cash reserves allocated for unexpected repairs on this car and my M3. It is my understanding that with 997's if they are going to have some costly problems that these are more likely to occur with mileage rather than age. If I'm averaging 5k miles on my car per year, I'm skeptical that a 2 year extended warranty will be offering me worthwhile protection for this period given my car's low miles, and lack of certain worries because I'm the original owner (I think CPO & extended warranties make better sense if you are, say, the 3rd owner and don't know anything about how the first two owners treated the car, for example).

Thanks for your replies.
Warranty expires 4 years after date Porsche was informed the car sold. Usually this means the day you bought the car unless the dealer "punched" the car and told Porsche it was sold.

For a 4 year service cost call your local Porsche dealer and get an estimate.

If you are a person to whom car troubles happen then an extended warranty might be worthwhile.

From your post, driving the car another 2 years at 5K miles per year the warranty will expire on time and not miles and problems arise from miles driven not time car sits unused.

In this case the extended warranty almost certainly will not be a good buy. You'd have been better of just banking the money you would have paid for the warranty.

Worst case is engine failure. If you can afford to self insure against this calamity then you are better off not buying the warranty.

If an engine failure or a $10K to $12K transmission replacement expense would hurt deeply then a few thousand dollars up front might be a good if expensive insurance.

Of course you need to be darn sure what's covered and what you must do to keep coverage in effect.

For instance my Turbo has a transmission leak. It is a seal. However, Porsche does not provide spare parts or tools or instructions on how to rebuild this transmisison so replacement is the only option. Thus for a few dolllars worth of a leaky seal one needs a $10K transmission and possibly nearly $2K of labor ot remove the old one and install the new one.

If seals are not covered you're hosed. (Luckily in my Turbo's case, and mine! the car is covered by a CPO warranty.)

You need to be very sure the company to which you pay the warranty/extended service premium and which you would rely upon should you file a claim will be there to pay the money.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:47 AM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Self insure. You don't drive the car
Old 06-10-2010, 10:48 AM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Self insure.

You obviously know the car's history.

Extended warranties are certainly not free. If you figure a price of
approx. $3,500 - $4,000 for the warranty, plus the lost interest on
that sum over a five year period (perhaps an additional $800-$1k), you have a fairly decent sized play fund to work with for potential issues that may arise.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:02 PM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Same year car and miles. No issues. I am going naked with respect to warranty. I have a great independent that takes care of me. Try to stay away from dealer...GR
Old 06-10-2010, 08:09 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by robbonds
Self insure. You don't drive the car
Sorry, don't drive mine in stop 'n go rush hour traffic, or commute to work, etc. like so many people do. If omitting that is "you don't drive the car" then I embrace it. Seems like an utter waste to me. Same for long highway trips. I'd rather have the lower miles and better condition.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:34 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

I am new to 997.1, so can't really speak to reliability and costs after 4 years.

However, I think as a rule of thumb, insurance/warranty makes the most sense in catastrophic situations, where the cost of repair is above a threshold. So, I recommend a cheaper extended warranty with high deductible, just to protect you from that ONE BIG failure! Being IMS, RMS, engine replacement, etc... you can cover all the basic stuff under $1000.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:40 PM
300cd300sdl911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2007 997.1 60k miles........no warranty......no problems. I'm just going to roll the dice.

Quick Reply: At 4yrs - warranty & service questions for 997 folks