Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost key, how to get into car without key?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 11:57 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Lost key, how to get into car without key?

have 2 keys and a plastic spare.

lost one in miami

other is in safe deposit

safe deposit keys in porsche

plastic spare inside porsche

how do i get inside the locked porsche to get the safe deposit keys to get the spare key?
Old 06-09-2010, 12:05 AM
camhabib
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
have 2 keys and a plastic spare.

lost one in miami

other is in safe deposit

safe deposit keys in porsche

plastic spare inside porsche

how do i get inside the locked porsche to get the safe deposit keys to get the spare key?
Call a locksmith. From my understanding, while it is extremely difficult to start the car without the key, unlocking the door isn't as difficult, and can easily be done by any competent locksmith. Be warned tho, if you do unlock without a properly coded key, the alarm will sound, and your battery drain. I would have a spare battery ready to connect to the correct terminals under the fuse panel to pop the front and disconnect the battery.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:08 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

called frantically everywhere i went and was at restaurant.. i guess lesson here is keep 1 key outside the car, i.e. plastic one to unlock.lol
Old 06-09-2010, 12:21 AM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Will Porsche make you a key if you give them your vin number and proof of ownership? This is assuming that you have time to spare.
abe
Old 06-09-2010, 12:55 AM
camhabib
Instructor

Originally Posted by abe
Will Porsche make you a key if you give them your vin number and proof of ownership? This is assuming that you have time to spare.
abe
I believe it takes a matter of weeks to get a key made. If they're anything like the Audi and Mercedes keys, they're all cut and shipped from Germany.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:21 AM
jsmirand
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't the bank have a process for opening a safe deposit where the owners lost/doesn't have the key?

Why not keep the second key in the house, is it that dangerous?
Old 06-09-2010, 03:30 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

It takes a special locksmith to get into these cars. As I understand it they have to go in with a special wire-tool through the passenger side door rubber and eventually trip the door latch over there. Otherwise--wait for a key.

"Plastic spare in Porsche" -- not smart. That car be be started and driven off with that key.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:26 AM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Been there, done that. Is there a T-shirt?

When I was locked out of my 997.1, with the key inside, here's how I got back in. Several locksmiths said "can't help you." Porsche dealer said "have the car towed to the dealership and we'll figure it out." They also said they could take my VIN and have a new key blade cut, which would take a few days. I went ahead and did that and it took 3-4 days if I recall correctly. The key blade was around $200 IIRC.

However, I managed to find a locksmith with a device he called an "air wedge." In essence it was a small inflatable air bag. He very gently managed to insert it between the front and rear windows, and then started pumping. He was able to get the windows apart far enough to insert a metal hook to pull the door handle open. The moment the handle starts to move the window drops a short distance, which allowed the top of the window to clear the track in the roof and then gave the locksmith more room to work with. He got the door open moments later. My key was sitting on the console, with the spare key inside the console. Problem solved. The locksmith charged me $100.

I'd ordered the spare blade from the dealer already, so when that came it stayed inside my kitchen drawer. Now that I have a newer 997.2, the spare key for it it is NEVER inside the car!

DMoore
'09 C2S PDK
'10 P4S
'
Old 06-09-2010, 12:18 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DMoore
Been there, done that. Is there a T-shirt?
Yes! Funny.
Attached Images  
Old 06-11-2010, 02:05 AM
MusicCity_997
Intermediate

Just call this 12yr, he can open the door for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6bkV...eature=related
Old 06-11-2010, 02:34 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

how did you lock the key inside in the first place? press the button on the dash?
Old 06-11-2010, 03:20 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 997_rich
how did you lock the key inside in the first place? press the button on the dash?
drove a diff car to miami, locked porsche before i left with key... had 2 sets keys in pocket and voila..
Old 06-11-2010, 03:46 PM
Wills
Advanced

i know this won't help but, my OPC said that you can unlock your porsche remotely using the key over a mobile phone connection.

i.e you could be in another state with the key, call a friend who is stood with the car then plip the remote at the phone with your friend pointing his phone at the car and the door will open!

Not sure if it works but thats what he said...
Old 06-11-2010, 04:41 PM
TooSixy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wills
i know this won't help but, my OPC said that you can unlock your porsche remotely using the key over a mobile phone connection.

i.e you could be in another state with the key, call a friend who is stood with the car then plip the remote at the phone with your friend pointing his phone at the car and the door will open!

Sure.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:47 PM
Kuhan
Racer

Originally Posted by Wills

This is an urban myth http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/keyless.asp

Quick Reply: Lost key, how to get into car without key?