Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   cigarette lighter not ejecting (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/571893-cigarette-lighter-not-ejecting.html)

tpenta 06-03-2010 01:37 AM

cigarette lighter not ejecting

Hey guys,

I went to plug something into the cigarette lighter and it wasn't ejecting. Is there a fuse specifically for it and, if so, where would it be? Any other reason why it wouldn't be ejecting?

Thanks,

-T

Edgy01 06-03-2010 01:59 AM

Only thing that can happen is if something from cigar or something jammed in there. Is it getting hot? If not getting hot, you're on the right track to check the fuse. Even so, you should be able to grasp it and remove it.

Mspeedster 06-03-2010 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by tpenta (Post 7625371)
Hey guys,

I went to plug something into the cigarette lighter and it wasn't ejecting. Is there a fuse specifically for it and, if so, where would it be? Any other reason why it wouldn't be ejecting?

Thanks,

-T

If you plugged something into it other than the cig lighter or a battery maintainer, you might have blown a fuse. My dealer told me never to use the lighter outlet for accessories, use the outlet in arm rest.

There's a fuse for it, but I don't know which one it is, as I haven't looked.

LlBr 06-03-2010 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Mspeedster (Post 7625551)
My dealer told me never to use the lighter outlet for accessories, use the outlet in arm rest.

Ask your dealer where the accessory called "Compressor" (for tire inflation) is supposed to be plugged in.

:D :D :D

utkinpol 06-03-2010 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by tpenta (Post 7625371)
Hey guys,

Thanks,

-T

he, mine is ejecting all te tme even if cold. I just ignore that. count to 20 and get it out.

or trip to a dealer if still on warranty.

LlBr 06-03-2010 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by utkinpol (Post 7626195)
he, mine is ejecting all te tme even if cold. I just ignore that. count to 20 and get it out.

or trip to a dealer if still on warranty.

If your DIY skill level is high: pull fuse, get in there with some needle nose pliers and make an adjustment to the retaining clip. :)

Minok 06-03-2010 05:08 PM

I know my cig-lighter socket is very tight. When I seat the flashlight down in there, I have a really hard time pulling that bugger back out. Not at all trivial or easy.. its binding pretty tight. A really good grip, and significant force are needed.

I'm wondering what may need to be tweeked to get a bit smoother extraction, at least on some cars.

For the cig-lighter heating element itself, the heat level triggers the ejection of the back button/handle that then pulls the cig-lighter away from the power and thus turns off the heating... if that is happening, the electrics are fine.

tpenta 06-04-2010 12:57 AM

Thanks folks.

Well, since it wasn't coming out, I looked at the manual to see if they say where the fuse is and didn't find anything, though I did read that they recommend not to plug anything in there but use the alternative plugs for electronics.

Come to think of it, a few months ago, I went to plug in a portable tire inflator to pump up my son's soccer ball and it wouldn't work. I must have blown the fuse when doing that!

So no one knows where that particular fuse is located?

Thanks.

tpenta 06-04-2010 12:59 AM

ohhh, and no it does not get hot even after pressing it for a minute. It's dead!

It's stuck almost flat so there is no way to pull it out unless I go use some very thin screw driver. I'd rather try the fuse approach first...

SevenCostanza 06-04-2010 03:52 PM

Mine is the same way....nearly flush and doesn't pop out. It makes no difference to me as I'm not a smoker and don't need to plug anything into it, but I suppose I'll have the dealer look at it one day.

Minok 06-04-2010 05:31 PM

So if it isn't heating, then the electrics are the problem... probably the fuse. Replace the fuse (not sure where it is).. and it should at least heat and then pop up partly.. so you can then pull it out from there.