Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My engine mishap story

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 04:36 AM
akim47
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what a great outcome. stories like these make me feel like these cars are truly long term keepers... hope you get lots of enjoyment out of the new engine..

i love seeing all the 993s and 964s cruise around and still looks great... makes one hope that the 997 will still be a great car in 2020...
Old 05-12-2010, 11:12 AM
Alfaguy2
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Phew - I was waiting for a bad ending - glad you got sorted reasonably cheaply in the end.

I take it then that you can get a download of a 997's previous driving history from its internal computers?

Id like to be able to see what mine is like as I bought it used. At least then I could make a better informed decision about aftermarket warranties etc.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:39 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by akim47
what a great outcome. stories like these make me feel like these cars are truly long term keepers... hope you get lots of enjoyment out of the new engine..

i love seeing all the 993s and 964s cruise around and still looks great... makes one hope that the 997 will still be a great car in 2020...
... and the 3.2s before that and the SC and the 2.7 and the very originals, many still on the road and looking great.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:58 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Good story and good lesson...staying calm and polite with the dealership employees (the manager draws a paycheck too), making them feel like you respect them and really need their help... I don't know how much pull they have with PCNA but I'm willing to bet it's more than we individual customers.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:28 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the kind words and support.
I have watched too many of these dealer dramas play out on the internet and that just never made sense to me.
I run my business in the same way.
Choose good people and leave them alone and let them do what they do best.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:17 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

How long were you out of warranty?
Old 05-15-2010, 10:04 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bravo, I love that the dealership took care of you after warranty!
Old 05-15-2010, 11:05 PM
akw
Racer

I'm glad you had a great experience!

Too bad all of us can't have consistent experiences like this.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:14 PM
pttrash
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

fantastic ending
Old 05-16-2010, 12:55 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,425 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by YA911Fan
Barring abuse, a Porsche engine shouldn't fail at 19500 miles.

Porsche shouldn't be praised for making you pay $1500 for a concealed defect.
indeed that is unacceptable
Old 05-17-2010, 02:57 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

I can see both sides of this.
I guess I could have made an issue, and I guess Porsche could have also pointed out that I did not purchase an extended waranty
Honestly, I was just happy to hear that I was not on the hook for 9K , and I jumped at the offer.
Perhaps a cooler head may have negotiated it down, but with the 2 year warantee it seemd like a good deal.
I did receive the 350 oil change for "free" included with the repair.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:52 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Agreed that in a perfect world such a defect would be seen as a pre-existing condition from the manufacturer, and the manufacturer would be liable for all repairs for as long as the car is in existence.

But that's not the world we live in. We get warranties with specific time limits, and if a design or manufacturing defect makes it past that time limit before showing itself, it is almost always the owner that pays the price all by themselves.

I challenge you to find other brands of anything where you get shared cost or no cost repairs after the manufacturers warranty has expired. That's the point of a warranty... to spell out for how long the manufacturer will make good for screw ups in build or design. The ability for manufacturers to define limits on their liability is what makes goods more affordable. If the maker was on the hook for the lifetime of the car being registered, I guarantee all cars would cost significantly more to account for that added expense to the manufacturer.

So Porsche should be praised for agreeing that its a hidden defect the owner could not have seen or responded to during the warranty period, and sharing in the repair cost. Because they did not have to, but it was the right thing to do.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:44 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
Agreed that in a perfect world such a defect would be seen as a pre-existing condition from the manufacturer, and the manufacturer would be liable for all repairs for as long as the car is in existence.

But that's not the world we live in. We get warranties with specific time limits, and if a design or manufacturing defect makes it past that time limit before showing itself, it is almost always the owner that pays the price all by themselves.

I challenge you to find other brands of anything where you get shared cost or no cost repairs after the manufacturers warranty has expired. That's the point of a warranty... to spell out for how long the manufacturer will make good for screw ups in build or design. The ability for manufacturers to define limits on their liability is what makes goods more affordable. If the maker was on the hook for the lifetime of the car being registered, I guarantee all cars would cost significantly more to account for that added expense to the manufacturer.

So Porsche should be praised for agreeing that its a hidden defect the owner could not have seen or responded to during the warranty period, and sharing in the repair cost. Because they did not have to, but it was the right thing to do.
Well said, he was very lucky that Porsche was on the side of error.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:42 PM
Zdascope
Intermediate

I am very happy to hear you had a good outcome, PTpeecar. I am really happy to hear PCNA picked up the majority of the tab. You know if this was some computer company and your motherboard died the day after the warranty expired, you'd be hosed. I would have more than satisfied the way things turned out for you.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:03 PM
997, esq
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Minok

Well, there are things companies pay because they are contractually obliged to pay them, and there are things companies pay because they are worried about losing a customer for life. In my experience, other companies also step up, although I don't doubt that some wouldn't. FWIW, I wouldn't sweat the $1500 either.

Quick Reply: My engine mishap story