Sponsored by:

Short Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 09:52 AM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Short Shifter

A couple of questions about the Short Shift Kit which I'm thinking of ordering for my 997.2 C2S.

1. Does it include a new gear lever or does it use the existing lever linked to new oily parts beneath the leather housing?

2. Is it worth it for "spirited" road use alone (maybe on one track day a year)? I started the current thread on "heel and toe" and anyone reading that will understand I'm aiming for the the perfect shift!!

Thanks for any advice
Old 05-05-2010, 10:52 AM
xXxGhotimanxXx
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In a recent Excellence article comparing two 700hp Turbos on the road and track using professional drivers for their opinions, if I'm not mistaken, I remember a comment on the SSK. For track use, they didn't like it because it was easier to miss shifts. Seems to me there are performance driven mods that would enhance the car on the track and there are street mods...sometimes being good at one doesn't make it good at the other, perhaps?

J
Old 05-05-2010, 06:10 PM
Wills
Advanced

I have the short shift and its lovely very precise and positive just what you want in your porsche!

I've driven the normal shift and its fine but the short shift just adds to the overall experience....I've never missed a shift with it either..(and I have zero talent)

I would highly recommend it, 2nd to 3rd is like a rifle bolt action (you'll be used to that in the US!)
Old 05-05-2010, 07:05 PM
Erik@GBox
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is something to consider about utilizing the short shift kit in the 997 street car. The synchronizers in the gearbox of this car, while fairly well thought out, have a material that has been prone to wearing quite quickly. Replacement parts while also now available, are quite expensive and only available as a set, (just over $600.00 per gear in 3rd and 4th) Here is why I bring this up.

By bringing a short shifter kit into the equation, you are essentially asking the synchronizers to work a bit harder to engage the gears, this is particularly true in quick aggressive shifting. While I believe that the feel is a bit crisper, the cost of this modification in the long run may out weigh the short term benefits.

Just my .02 cents on this, and something that I thought that you might want to consider.

Erik Johnson
GBox Performance Transaxle
(303) 440-8899 work
(303) 895-4828 cell
Old 05-05-2010, 10:40 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I never thought I'd want or like a SSK. Had the regular on my 07 C2S but my 997 GT3 shifter was so much nicer. So when Porsche Huntington was selling the OEM SSK for $299 with free ground shipping, I picked one up. Extremely happy I did so on both street and track. Feels like my GT3 shifter, but without as much spring tension on the gate return-to-neutral. Would certainly do it again. It's Porsche OEM installed by Porsche dealer, so I'm not worried about compatibility, possible future warranty issues, etc.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:54 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by xXxGhotimanxXx
In a recent Excellence article comparing two 700hp Turbos on the road and track using professional drivers for their opinions, if I'm not mistaken, I remember a comment on the SSK. For track use, they didn't like it because it was easier to miss shifts. Seems to me there are performance driven mods that would enhance the car on the track and there are street mods...sometimes being good at one doesn't make it good at the other, perhaps?

J
+1 - not crazy aout the short shift in my GT 3 - missed a shift on the track on Sunday which, while not the end of the world,still %$#@ed me off. I like the silky smooth OEM set-up somewhat more in retrospect - IMHO
Old 05-05-2010, 11:59 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Strange, I put about 7000 miles on my 997 GT3 with more than half of those on the track and the shifter on mine was flawless.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:30 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
Strange, I put about 7000 miles on my 997 GT3 with more than half of those on the track and the shifter on mine was flawless.
Just to be clear, did you do short shift on your C2S to make it closer to GT3 shifting? or you did the short shift on GT3?

and overall, do you recommend it? I am in the same boat as OP and a bit on the fence whether or not it's worth it.

Thnx
Old 05-06-2010, 07:44 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

The shifter on the GT3 was brilliant from the factory, so I never touched it. The 997.2 C2S shifter worked fine, but was "long and sloppy" compared to the precision of the GT3. So I took a chance and tried the 997 OEM SSK on my 2009 C2S and find it to be again, brilliant, like mine was in my GT3. In the before / after comparison I am surprised this isn't the standard shifter for the C2S.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:33 AM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

I love my OEM SSK. The feel and the click when the lever slips into gear is simply fantastic. I don't track, so can't comment on its use there. I've never missed a shift even in spirited street driving, and I also have zero talent.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:45 AM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also love my OEM SSK.

I wasn't specifically looking for one with the SSK, however, I found one
and once I drove it, I realized how crisp and performance oriented it
is verses the standard throw.

Keep in mind, when the engine is cold, the short shifter is a bit stiff
from 1st to 2d. Once it warms, it's silky smooth and very precise.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:50 AM
Zba
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Erik@GBox
There is something to consider about utilizing the short shift kit in the 997 street car. The synchronizers in the gearbox of this car, while fairly well thought out, have a material that has been prone to wearing quite quickly. Replacement parts while also now available, are quite expensive and only available as a set, (just over $600.00 per gear in 3rd and 4th) Here is why I bring this up.

By bringing a short shifter kit into the equation, you are essentially asking the synchronizers to work a bit harder to engage the gears, this is particularly true in quick aggressive shifting. While I believe that the feel is a bit crisper, the cost of this modification in the long run may out weigh the short term benefits.

Just my .02 cents on this, and something that I thought that you might want to consider.

Erik Johnson
GBox Performance Transaxle
(303) 440-8899 work
(303) 895-4828 cell
I have to disagree with this comment. Changing the pivot point on the shifter end increases the leverage needed to shift gears on the shifter end, correct? The synchros aren't being asked to do any additional work, as they are still spinning at the same speed, in the same fluid, as before the ss install. Am I misunderstanding a concept here?
Chad
Old 05-06-2010, 02:13 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RonCT
The shifter on the GT3 was brilliant from the factory, so I never touched it. The 997.2 C2S shifter worked fine, but was "long and sloppy" compared to the precision of the GT3. So I took a chance and tried the 997 OEM SSK on my 2009 C2S and find it to be again, brilliant, like mine was in my GT3. In the before / after comparison I am surprised this isn't the standard shifter for the C2S.
Thanks Ron.

Do you know if manual shifter on 997.1 and 997.2 are the same? and hence the SSK similar on both?
Old 05-06-2010, 02:54 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

Everything is new, lever and all and a world of a difference. It's at least half the throw distance from stock.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:18 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
Everything is new, lever and all and a world of a difference. It's at least half the throw distance from stock.
What do u mean everything's new? like it feels totally different with SSK?

Quick Reply: Short Shifter