Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Requested soot pics, 09 C2S Cab after 3 days of driving

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 11:45 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Anyone with a sooty 2009 or'10 pass a emissions test yet?
Old 04-04-2010, 12:41 PM
Todd in PA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting comments, thanks.......

This is after only three days of driving, maybe 120 mi. I am curious to see if the car will pass the PA emission test with this amount of particulate expelled from the tailpipes. My garage floor shows no deposits of soot so I don't think the cold start/condensation thing is the culprit. It does seem odd that Porsche has, at least through my dealer, ignored this quite visible pollutant problem, while introducing the new 918 Spyder. Maybe the pollutants coming out of my tailpipe are not classified as such? Maybe this is environmentally "clean" soot like Mike's Toyota Hybrid. (thanks for the pic). If so I will feel better and keep the Zaino well maintained.

I have NO INTENTION of pursuing a lemon law action as the car is so much fun to drive. This is my 6th Porsche and they keep getting better and better. I do feel badly for Porsche's reputation though as some customers will shy away from the marque if it is a luck of the draw whether you get an oil burner or not.(as in the case of the poster who was so unhappy with his new 911 he went back to Corvette). Life is too short for me not to drive a Porsche and over the years I have been treated very well by my dealers, but all my previous Pcars were basically trouble free. I had 66k on the 930, as well as the 986S. Thanks all for your inputs, I have to go add another quart of oil, the low bar is flashing, and then go for a wonderful, top down, holiday drive.

This Easter is an anniversary of sorts for me. I was showing my best friend from the city how wonderfully stable my new 1982 911 SC was at speed. I was on route 78 in PA on Easter Sunday with hardly anyone else on the road. I was going VERY QUICKLY and passed a Mustang Cobra at speed. I slowed to around 80 and the Mustang began to follow me. I sped up, he sped up, and so it goes. I kept it down and he disappeared slowly into the distance. Unfortunately for me he was a PA state trooper in an unmarked car! Long story short, I wasn't arrested, (85 in a 55, as that's as high as his speedo would go) but the ensuing ticket did push me over the edge and I lost my driving privileges in PA for 6 months. I will be extra careful today hahaha
Old 04-04-2010, 01:02 PM
jakes dad
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Todd in PA;74526In all fairness though, if Porsche was to offer a buyback to me right now, I wouldn't take it! I love this car, there is no substitute.[/QUOTE]

If Porsche offered me a buyback right now I'd take it.......I'd turn around and find a Porsche with a thousand miles on it that doesn't burn a quart of oil every 600 miles and buy it....
It may or may not resolve itself but I'd prefer a car that didn't blow black crap all over the place...
Old 04-04-2010, 01:04 PM
VC74
Advanced

I understand the soot problem, i have the same and trully love the car anyways. I also noticed that i leave a cloud of black/grey or whatever it was smoke on occaison! i was trying to loose this wrx that was glued to my rear yesturday, and litterly left him in smoke! i floored third gear and on the shift to 4th looked back to see my car leave a cloud of smoke for the wrx to enjoy...yes he was fare behind!
Old 04-04-2010, 01:15 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

completely unacceptable.
Old 04-04-2010, 05:18 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I would get the emission test to have it documented, maybe force the issue.

Are these cars that drink more oil associated with a certain (early) build date on the DFI engine?
Old 04-04-2010, 06:00 PM
PHDX2
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd in PA
I have NO INTENTION of pursuing a lemon law action as the car is so much fun to drive...
I admire your ability to maintain a positive attitude even in the face of frustrations regarding the soot and oil consumption matters. I do hope that you are able to resolve these issues to your satisfaction. Please keep us posted.

Beautiful car, by the way.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:19 AM
jk335
Instructor

Well, let me ask you, if this was your car and you needed to add a quart of oil every three tankfuls of gas or so, and after washing and detailing your car, have soot all over the rear end while the rest of the car looks clean and shiny, (only after 3 days of driving), would that be a problem for you? Is it fair to mention that hopefully this only happens to a few "problem" cars and is not across the board. If I knew ahead of time, pre-purchase, that my new 911, list price at well over 100,000 dollars would burn oil at this rate, and pollute the environment with soot, unlike my previous 5 Porsche cars, I would have delayed my purchase until this "perhaps a problem" was rectified. In all fairness though, if Porsche was to offer a buyback to me right now, I wouldn't take it! I love this car, there is no substitute.
I have the SAME issue. My wheels are clean as anything, but the rear bumper is full of soot too...

Is anyone ready to start a list for all of us to get on to address this yet?
Old 04-05-2010, 10:22 AM
jk335
Instructor

Originally Posted by rijowysock
mine are 100x worse.. i polish them and 20 miles later black as night and bumper has two huge ovals of soot.
So why can't we all band together and fight this with a letter?

I have the excessive oil consumption and the soot. I would like a clean bumper like the rest of you. Why shouldn't we all band together and address the situation.

Porsche NA has refused to take back my car or even ADDRESS a fix to the engine.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:47 PM
BostonDuce
Racer

All this oil running through the combustion process can't be good for the cats.

Has anyone tried a different oil viscosity (such as 5W-50 or 5W-40) to see if it makes difference? Mobil has Delvac1 5W-40 which claims reduced sooting properties in HD truck use, and it's rated for gas engines also.

BD
Old 04-05-2010, 05:12 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I love this car, I have had a new '82 SC, a new '84 Carrera, a new '86 930 Turbo,
a new '95 993, a new '02 986 Boxster S, and now my new '09 C2S cab. This is the only Porsche I have had that puts out unbelievable amounts of soot and burns oil at the "Porsche approved" rate of one quart in less than 700 miles. I washed my car last weekend and have driven it these last 3 days in the nice weather. I tracked my previous cars and was a driving instructor for Riesentoter region. I drive enthusiastically and thoroughly enjoy the full rev band! I have a 6 speed manual transmission and don't drive for "mileage". For those who do not have any oil consumption or soot problems with your new 997.2s, please don't belittle or imagine that this is not a very disturbing problem for those who do. I can't understand how these tail pipe emissions are acceptable in this day and age! I am still in love with the car and am documenting these problems with my dealer. BTW my '09 BMW 535XiT, twin turbo, DFI engine does not have excessive oil consumption or soot.
I had the exact same thing on my SY 996 AFTER I installed a GHL exhaust. It never bothered me that much...
Old 04-05-2010, 10:29 PM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

TODD, keep documenting, washing and most of all driving......Best of luck!!
Old 04-05-2010, 10:47 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

i just took exhaust off car today twice and soot is just everywhere.. cleaned it off, going to see how long before its back again... the soot at each joint in the exhaust was insane.. when i pulled off the pipe it would just fall out.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:27 AM
Gundo
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Todd - had the same problem on my 2006 997S. Lots of soot. 1 qt per 700 miles, etc.

PCNA unwilling to budge, district rep from Porsche unwilling to budge, dealer unwilling to budge as PCNA would not even approve a leakdown or compression test on my motor.

Now, with 17k miles, oil usage is way down, perhaps 1qt per 2000 miles.

Granted, I have a different motor than you, though my experience may be valuable - Porsche knows there is a problem with some of these cars and is hiding behind the ridiculous spec in the owners manual.

I too have a 535ixT and while it burns a bit of oil and soots up the exhaust pipes, there is nothing on the bumper.

Another thing too - make sure to keep that bumper clean - the oil residue will definitely stain you paint on the rear bumper, no question.

Long story short, I got a decent trade-in value for my car from the dealer that sold it to me, though I love the car and with current oil usage rates a somewhat acceptable, I'm okay for now.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:08 AM
jk335
Instructor

Originally Posted by rijowysock
i just took exhaust off car today twice and soot is just everywhere.. cleaned it off, going to see how long before its back again... the soot at each joint in the exhaust was insane.. when i pulled off the pipe it would just fall out.
One poster got me worried about the soot stainning the paint.

What people who do not have this problem are missignis the fact we are fanatics about the car. We wash and detail. Only to one drive later have soot flackes all over the bumper. After one drive. Its just not what a fanatic wants to see after he or she has just slaved over the cars appearance.

I know these cars are meant to be driven... but can't they look clean too?

SOOT= PAIN IN THE ****.

Quick Reply: Requested soot pics, 09 C2S Cab after 3 days of driving