997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difficulty selecting 1st gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 06:55 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The interesting thing to me is that lots of people have this problem, but not everyone! Some people report all their shifts are smooth. Also, it seems a lot like a problem caused by wear, but in fact a lot of cars have it from day one. To me that indicates a manufacturing flaw.

Some random thoughts :

The problems when the car is cold could probably be reduced by using a lighter trans oil, though that might be too slippery once warm. I know the guys with older Porsches use various trans oil combinations to make the shifts not so clunky in the cold. But I sometimes get this when the engine is warm, just much less often, so that's not the whole problem.

It's possible the syncros are bad. This problem is a lot like the symptom of worn/damaged syncros on the 1st/2nd gear. But people get this problem with new cars, so it's not that the syncros are worn, but that they are defective. To me it feels a lot like the "balk" mechanism is kicking in and locking out the gear when it doesn't need to.

Another possibility is that the 1nd/2nd gear shifter linkage is not adjusted quite right, or maybe the cable is not designed right so it occasionally has some bad flex or something.

Guys talking about worn syncros on older cars :

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...n-synchro.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...r-synchro.html

Fluids fix trouble getting into 1st/2nd in the cold :

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...d-syncros.html

Old 911 has the same problem, difficulty getting into 1st gear - adjusting the shift cables fixes it :

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...provements.htm

(but this is getting beyond my level of mechanical expertise)
Old 04-01-2010, 08:11 PM
vman4639
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I have this problem when cold - but I have a very easy fix that works for me.

Gently try to engage first, when you meet resistance rev up with the throttle, keep gentle pressure on the shifter, and it will ease in nice and smooth at some point as the revs fall back to normal.

Give it a try.

Once warm shifting is fine.
The following users liked this post:
stateofmike (12-17-2022)
Old 04-01-2010, 08:50 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vman4639
I have this problem when cold - but I have a very easy fix that works for me.

Gently try to engage first, when you meet resistance rev up with the throttle, keep gentle pressure on the shifter, and it will ease in nice and smooth at some point as the revs fall back to normal.

Give it a try.

Once warm shifting is fine.
Agree - this works for me and on every other car where I encounter this.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:59 PM
Fin Fever
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, my 2007 C2S does this, and I can remember my old VW bugs, bus, thing all doing the same thing. gears 2 and higher are synchronized, 1st gear is not synchronized. It is normal for these transmissions to feel this way. It mostly happens when the car is stopped. You should only have slight resistance putting it into gear if the car is rolling.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:17 PM
johnny goose
Intermediate

this has happend to every manual car ive owned,,,vw carrodo X2 e46 m3.. honda prelude. acura cl type s.... what i found to work better is before takin off put it in 2nd gear then 1st..for anyone that ever had a grindy reverse gear it would be better to put the car in 1st than reverse...same concept i found that putting 2nd in then 1st helped out a lot but never totally fixed it..just a lot better..
Old 04-01-2010, 10:26 PM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

Always double clutch into first...
Old 04-01-2010, 10:34 PM
linklaw
Advanced

It always happens to me when the car is cold. When it warms up, the tranny shifts into first just fine. 2005 S.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:22 PM
kimf70
Rennlist Member

If you encounter resistance and unable to shift into first gear, shift to second and then back into first.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:40 PM
cbzzoom

Originally Posted by Fin Fever
Yes, my 2007 C2S does this, and I can remember my old VW bugs, bus, thing all doing the same thing. gears 2 and higher are synchronized, 1st gear is not synchronized. It is normal for these transmissions to feel this way. It mostly happens when the car is stopped. You should only have slight resistance putting it into gear if the car is rolling.
I don't think that's right, Porsche 1st gears have always has syncros :

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...nny_repair.htm

Porsche did invent the syncro, after all! It is a different syncro though, much harder than higher gears.

This problem does remind me of driving a VW bus though. Wiggling the stick, double clutching, grinding noises, the horror!
Old 04-01-2010, 11:47 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 161 Posts

I've never had it happen with my C4, and I know my friend with a C2S has not had this happen either (he wouldn't tolerate it). I had tough shifting into 3rd for the first 1000 miles, but that seemed to work itself out.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:37 AM
acao
Racer

I have that issue on my '06 C2. Now, when 1st feels "blocked," i instinctively go to 2nd, and then 1st with no problem. Clutch out and in also works.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:47 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Recently I have had the opportunity to drive several older Porsches (356 from 64 , and a 928 from 80) and the shifter in my 06 cabriolet is by far the best, most positive shifter I have even experienced in a Porsche. It's only my 4th Porsche, but the shifting is first rate. It can be a little trouble in the cold (particularly with the short shifters, which I have) but just take your time, and NEVER FORCE IT.

In all my decades of Porsche driving I have NEVER had to do a thing to any of my transmissions. They are first rate if not abused. And many have been taken over 100,000 miles.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:10 AM
rpalomo
Instructor

i have that problem, i also noticed if i am pushing the car a little hard and i am on third and am going on to a turn and want to shift into one, it wont go to 1 at all unless i really force it too or reset by going back into neutral then going back to 1 again
Old 04-06-2010, 02:11 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

That's normal it just has to be finessed. If 1st refuses to engage, engage second, move to N, release the clutch, clutch back and 1st engages now. This is very common. I am surprised that all vocal proponents of manual as the only valid sports car tranny do not know this.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:44 AM
bradyb
Instructor

My '06 C2S also does this but I've learned to work around it, no big deal.

Quick Reply: Difficulty selecting 1st gear