Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM Single CD failure, dealer says replace entire unit...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 07:29 PM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

McCulla,
Is there a fuse for the PCM? maybe worth pulling out for a minute and replacing to "reset"
Leave it out waiting for the fix to prevent battery discharge maybe
Old 02-01-2010, 07:37 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Fin Fever
CD? what's that. Try to get porsche to fix it, and if they dont, try to forget about it. I wouldn't spend the money on obsolete tech. enjoy your ipod
Interesting... funny you think CD is obsolete... while it's 30 years old, it is STILL much much higher quality sound than mp3 or AAC at even highest bit rates...

Now, if we get FLAC at 24-bit, then that's a different story, and true obsoletion of CD!
Old 02-01-2010, 07:53 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

my 06'S has done this before as well. I thought I spaced and forgot to put the cd in, so I went to put another disc in and it forced the initial cd to load. It was a burned cd so I figured I had a thin disc or something.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:09 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Interesting... funny you think CD is obsolete...
Heck, I have hundreds and hundreds of CDs.

I ain't spending hundreds of hours converting them to another format. I don't fly on the space shuttle where I can only bring 19 ounces of personal property around with me.

Personally, I'm tired of getting sucked into the latest technology because all it does is make you do something you don't need to do. I got rid of my iPhone, I finally thought "This is BS," I had to put a stop to it!

Absolutely no disrespect aimed at the guys who keep up with the latest gizmos: more power to them!
Old 02-01-2010, 08:12 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Another clue I just remembered. The CD drive will hummmm and buzzzzz a little bit until it tires itself out. Then it will stop. Turn the car on and then shut it off and the PCM starts humming and buzzing all over again until it decides to stop. If that happens to yours it's ONE sure clue the thing is toast.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:48 PM
997, esq
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Though I am of the Ipod generation, I have ~ one thousand CDs. I still only buy music on CD and I rip it for my Ipod. Fact is, MP3s sound vastly inferior to CDs. You might not be able to tell in a loud Porsche, but you sure can on any good stereo. I can even tell in the Porsche. If you must listen to MP3s, the 06 and later PCM plays MP3 CDs, which always seemed a better option to me than a complicated Ipod install.

At any rate, I assume OP has already tried this, but I once got a DVD-A accidentally stuck in my PCM. I repeatedly turned the ignition on and off, and tried the eject button. It took a dozen or more times, but it eventually coughed it up.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:29 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,422 Posts

An old Volvo V70 we had used to do that as well. The first time it happened, on a long 2000km road trip heading to a 2 week holiday in Queensland, we called Volvo and got told the only option was to swap out the whole unit for a reconditioned one at some daft price.

With nothing to loose, when we got there I bought a $2 pack of screwdrivers, took the thing out, pulled it apart and fixed it. Took about 2 hours total. My daughter even thought it was fun to pull the car apart together so we ended up having some fun at the same time. Life can be strange sometimes!

As someone else says, sounds like you're in the same boat if your alternative is $1700.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:36 PM
McCulla
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Llbr, I have noticed the ongoing attempts to eject a CD that is not actually in the player, when the car is shut off. I sat in the car tonight to just listen for about 10 minutes and it only went through this dance until the car "shut down". I was cleaning the inside yesterday and heard the multiple attempts to eject but hadn't actually put a disc in until today. I'll be interested to see what Mother Porsche has to say in a few days.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:43 PM
Fin Fever
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
Heck, I have hundreds and hundreds of CDs.

I ain't spending hundreds of hours converting them to another format. I don't fly on the space shuttle where I can only bring 19 ounces of personal property around with me.

Personally, I'm tired of getting sucked into the latest technology because all it does is make you do something you don't need to do. I got rid of my iPhone, I finally thought "This is BS," I had to put a stop to it!

Absolutely no disrespect aimed at the guys who keep up with the latest gizmos: more power to them!
I too had hundreds of them. I paid a student $150 to put them on itunes for me. now the CDs are mothballed in giant CD cases and I can listen to all of that great music anywhere I want without juggling those bulky CDs and damaging them in the process. It especially works out great, on the go. I am not enough of an audiophile to worry about the sound degradation from CD to AAC or MP3.

I didn't mean to threadjack, but this has just been a great solution for me in the car, and I thought I would share.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:49 PM
NA011
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is an old post:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-stuck-cd.html
Old 02-01-2010, 10:52 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

McC--best of luck with the resolution of this. Sadly, the 05 model year PCMs have a higher failure incidence than the later ones. That should be used against Porsche in that they have a known shortcoming. Perhaps they will go to bat for you. And that crap about your extended warranty company weaseling out! Make sure we ALL know here on Rennlist who that company is so that we can give them 'the business,' if you know what I mean...
Old 02-02-2010, 02:43 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Interesting... funny you think CD is obsolete... while it's 30 years old, it is STILL much much higher quality sound than mp3 or AAC at even highest bit rates...

Now, if we get FLAC at 24-bit, then that's a different story, and true obsoletion of CD!
Actually, you can rip the CDs to full quality WAV (44.1/16-bit), Apple Lossless or Lossless WMA. FLAC at 24-bit would add nothing to any consumer music, since nothing is released at bit depths greater than 16 other than DTS, SACD, and DVDA which you cannot rip anyway.

If you using an iPod, WAV or Apple Lossless are you best bets. However, MP3 at 320k is for most people, impossible to distinguish from CD audio. That said, storage is a plenty these days and I don't see much point in MP3 no matter how it sounds. - other than that is is ubiquitous and not part of an annoying Microsoft/Apple turf war.

We've ripped all our CDs to WAV as well. Discs are just too clumsy to deal with on a daily basis compared to hard drives - especially in the car.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:54 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepow
Actually, you can rip the CDs to full quality WAV (44.1/16-bit), Apple Lossless or Lossless WMA. FLAC at 24-bit would add nothing to any consumer music, since nothing is released at bit depths greater than 16 other than DTS, SACD, and DVDA which you cannot rip anyway.

If you using an iPod, WAV or Apple Lossless are you best bets. However, MP3 at 320k is for most people, impossible to distinguish from CD audio. That said, storage is a plenty these days and I don't see much point in MP3 no matter how it sounds. - other than that is is ubiquitous and not part of an annoying Microsoft/Apple turf war.

We've ripped all our CDs to WAV as well. Discs are just too clumsy to deal with on a daily basis compared to hard drives - especially in the car.
There is 24-bit FLAC, albeit not that many at all, it's a new begining of hifi digital audio, start here:

http://blog.bowers-wilkins.com/lab/?p=262

Only FLAC, ALAC and WMV lossless are as good as CD. Mp3 has many flaws which is definitely measurable... see here:

http://www.stereophile.com/features/308mp3cd/
Old 02-02-2010, 03:23 AM
agn13
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The same exact thing happened to my '06 Cab S, luckily it was still under warranty. I was unable to eject the CD from the single player. The service manager said that the whole PCM unit had to be replaced and that it was not a simple jam. I hope you are able to get your issue resolved without a major dent to your wallet.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:04 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 182 Posts

Here's a suggestion. This same issue happened to me on my 05. I took another CD and pushed it into the slot. I caught the edge of the CD that was stuck and just gave it a little nudge further in. Sure enough, it moved and then ejected. Never had a problem since then.

Quick Reply: PCM Single CD failure, dealer says replace entire unit...