Sponsored by:

Prep for illuminated door sill.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 12:24 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Prep for illuminated door sill.

When I went to the LA auto show to to have a Porsche 911 Turbo configured for me one of the options I chose was the "prep for illuminated door sills". Pretty much the sill is illuminated but you have to get the aluminum on the sill machined to what you want. Like your name or company logo et al.

Has anybody done this or knows where to get it done? The German Porsche guy mentioned it but didn't go into detail about where to get it done!

Personally We, me and my better half, are thinking about getting a "dio de los muertos" (day of the dead) theme etched into the metal.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:48 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

so, you are not ordering it from the factory?
Old 01-25-2010, 01:09 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 131 Posts

It's interesting that Porsche (PCNA) sounds like they liked taking your money but then offer no method to machine the sills for whatever you want. If it were me I would probably wind up taking them (left and right) to a machine shop that is competent and have them sit down with you and design what you want. They can then be affixed to a CNC machine and the pattern hogged out for you. From that you can then attach them in the conventional manner with the doublestick tape that should be provided in that kit. No doubt you would have a truly 'exclusive' Porsche with that sort of sill!
Old 01-25-2010, 09:48 AM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
thinking about getting a "dio de los muertos" (day of the dead) theme etched into the metal.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
I think it should be in German: "Tag der Toten."

Maybe fit "turbo" in there somehow. "Day of the Dead Turbo?" Uh, well, maybe not.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:29 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Not ordering it from the factory? Well he didn't mention they could do it or not. As a matter of fact I was just thumbing through the dealer web pages and saw the "prep" option. I cannot remember if my configuration has the "prep" or the illuminated sills already, I.e. That say Turbo. Will have to look at the build sheet.

The car is at $166K and that is just a coupe without PCCBs.

I've only been to my local dealer, Bakersfield, and they are only getting two turbos all year. One has been spoken for and the other will more than likely be an S. So ultimately I just might wait it out for a 991 turbo.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:20 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 131 Posts

That will be another 2-3 years.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:13 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Originally Posted by Edgy01
That will be another 2-3 years.
Two to three years indeed. Just means I can save up for a bigger down payment; or just buy the car out right. Depends on how I leverage my cash and assets between now and then. There are so many options right now with real estate in the immediate area. Each one of them producing a positive cash flow a long with gains in equity. Might have to start up another trust or two...

The primary discussion between me and my better half is buy new or used. She wants me to absolutely get a new car configured. But I know what that means depreciation wise over the first year. Ouch! If anything a 2010 with PDK with paddles and sport chrono plus. If I convince her to let me get used then PCCBs; but that's not an option I want to pay for new.

By the way did any of you see my LA Auto Show posting in the GT2/GT3 forum where they configure a turbo for me? My Internet posting really increased the the turnout at the west coast auto shows for this honor!

Quick Reply: Prep for illuminated door sill.