Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance Upgrades that don't impact CPO

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 11:57 PM
michaeldantep
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks Mike. I think I may just leave it alone in terms of performance upgrades. I will just save the cash and may tweak some cosmetic things.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:13 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
Best upgrade: The Driver!!
In it's stock trim the Carrera will make your jaw drop!
No need for any mods.

Sign-up, Attend PSDS porschedriving.com/
You will not regret doing so!!

+1000

Do some DEs.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:14 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by michaeldantep
just curious, does Porsche have someone like Dinan (for BMW)?
Alois Ruf.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:43 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

As I've mentioned before, for a street car there is absolutely no reason to change anything. Even if you think you are pushing the car, you are probably still only at 5/10ths. But those of us that track our cars may tend to want to optimize the car via software, intake, headers, cats, and mufflers.

You can't say that changing intake and headers void the warranty because Porsche themselves make and sell "aftermarket" headers and intakes for our cars. For example, Porsche will be happy to upgrade your stock airbox for their own Porsche X51 air box. Same with Porsche X51 headers - Porsche has no problem putting them on your non-X51 car.

It all comes down to what you are comfortable with. I'm going to guess that 10s of thousands of enthusiasts over the last 25 years have happily changed out software, starting in the old days with actual performance chips and today via OBD programming. Of those 10s of thousands I haven't heard of even 1 example where the chip / program has caused a single issue, nor that Porsche or BMW have had any problem with the car in or out of warranty. Now I can see if you have say an Audi or BMW turbo and you use aftermarket software that really changes boost, etc. and the engine blows because you've gone outside of reasonable parameters. But the minor and responsible software upgrades used by people like Porsche (in their X51), Porsche Motorsports, RUF, BMW's Dinan, Jim Conforti / Shark Injector for BMW, etc. meet with my extremely conservative approval.

Totally up to you - it's your car and you have to be comfortable with whatever you do with it.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:53 AM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many miles are on the car? The closer it gets to the warranty expiration, without issues, the safer it is to start modifying it - because there won't be any warranty anyway. If your car/engine has been pretty much trouble free after X miles (you choose your comfort level), it is pretty likely to remain strong, so that's when to start the mods - but recognize that if an issue does emerge this same logic suggests the mod caused/contributed to it.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:01 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My recent experience with PCNA verifies that they will not honor warranty for an oil leak with an add on such as an insignificant bypass. The good thing, it was a simple fix, imagine if it was more serious.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:23 PM
michaeldantep
Intermediate

oh, I just bought it and it's a 2009 with 13, 7XX miles on it, so a long way to go with the CPO. It's still well under original manufacturer warranty as well.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:52 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

RonCT ease note I said aftermarket intake exhaust ect... Not Porsche parts. As far as I know there is not X51 headers and intakes for the 997.2 yet. Anyway I was just pointing out that according to Porsche that any aftermarket non Porsche parts on the engine, suspension will void warranty. This is NOT dealer dependant as the car warrenty is with Porsche not the dealer.

Russo point this out in his post. I had a header crack on my 2009 and had a time getting that fixed under warranty due to my Fabspeed by pass pipes. I took them off and got the header replaced and now have Tubi exhaust but was told PCNA will not replace another header due to aftermarket exhaust. Guy's I am stating actual facts and experience.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:38 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

mdrums

I have ocean front property for sale in Utah...not everything you hear from people is the truth.

I guess I'm on the wrong tread as I could careless about a warranty.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:48 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by German_Saint
mdrums

I have ocean front property for sale in Utah...not everything you hear from people is the truth.

I guess I'm on the wrong tread as I could careless about a warranty.
Haha You are confusing Salt Lake with the salt water in the ocean. you did not completly read my post. Call PCNA your self and speak with your PCNA zone rep since you do not believe me. My post unlike yours is based on fact and experience. If you can afford to mod and void the warrenty go ahead. I put on a after market exhaust and GT3 lower control arms plus track my car.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:25 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by michaeldantep
oh, I just bought it and it's a 2009 with 13, 7XX miles on it, so a long way to go with the CPO. It's still well under original manufacturer warranty as well.
Add the PSE and you are set. The car has plenty of power that you will have a difficult time to fully utilize on public roads. If you are going to add aftermarket parts make sure you keep the OEM's and replace them before taking the car into the dealership. Believe me, any and all issues relating the engine will place you at the mercy of the manufacturer.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:52 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

mdrums

I worked for Porsche for a few years -some of those reps don't know their head from their *** as they aren't all Porsche guys just middle managers for a distribution company. My car is out of warranty so nothing to void.

-I understand though that a personal experience will change individuals perceptions.

cheers- gone from this tread.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:31 PM
michaeldantep
Intermediate

RUSSO - The care came with PSE. I may put on X51 headers at a dealer, so it would at least be harder for them to void something. I will start with this..
Old 12-28-2009, 07:18 PM
Wills
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
As far as I know there is not X51 headers and intakes for the 997.2 yet.
The Power Kit is available for the Gen2 boosts power to 408hp it includes headers, carbon intake, modified ECU etc....infact i'm saving up for it!

I guess Porsche will warrant what it designs and produces but not what it doesn't. Seems fair to me......

Quick Reply: Performance Upgrades that don't impact CPO