Notices
997 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spare Key (Valet Key) photo?

 
Old 12-27-2009, 06:05 PM
  #31  
LlBr
Super User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,035
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Coochas View Post
. Not offering things like a wireless entry/start is simply ridiculous in a luxury sports car. .
Don't forget the bi-level HVAC and fume-sensing automatic recirc button.
LlBr is offline  
Old 12-27-2009, 11:51 PM
  #32  
ADias
Super User
 
ADias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NorCal
Posts: 7,377
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Coochas View Post
2 tons is 4000 pounds. 1.6 tons is still pretty heavy!
Those are 'short' tons. 2 metric tons are 4400lb.
ADias is offline  
Old 02-07-2010, 03:36 PM
  #33  
rijowysock
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
rijowysock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Arctic Cold
Posts: 5,721
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

we make any headway on where to buy these?
rijowysock is offline  
Old 02-07-2010, 04:13 PM
  #34  
LlBr
Super User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,035
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by rijowysock View Post
we make any headway on where to buy these?
If I remember correctly, they must be ordered thru the dealer. It's also like getting a gun permit, they have to make sure you are who you say you are before the order goes thru and it takes a while too.
LlBr is offline  
Old 02-07-2010, 04:21 PM
  #35  
rijowysock
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
rijowysock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Arctic Cold
Posts: 5,721
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by LlBr View Post
If I remember correctly, they must be ordered thru the dealer. It's also like getting a gun permit, they have to make sure you are who you say you are before the order goes thru and it takes a while too.
i guess ill call suncoast tomorrow then, they have had my car there for service before so should have the vin on hand but im guessing ill have to fax in a copy of license and insurance card like i did when i ordered a spare key for my 997.1..

curious on price.. hopefully under 100..
rijowysock is offline  
Old 02-07-2010, 05:58 PM
  #36  
LlBr
Super User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,035
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

[QUOTE=rijowysock;7291883

curious on price.. hopefully under 100..[/QUOTE]

Yeah right. AFAIK, Porsche costs at the dealer service are in $100 increments only. It'll be $100 if we're lucky. $200 if it's a normal day.
LlBr is offline  
Old 02-08-2010, 02:29 AM
  #37  
stevepow
User
 
stevepow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ATL
Posts: 1,803
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rijowysock View Post
we make any headway on where to buy these?
No mention of such a key in the ".2" manual and I think I recall my dealer saying that none were available (I asked because I was used the to BMW "wallet" key).

But it would be nice if there was one.
stevepow is offline  
Old 02-22-2010, 01:04 AM
  #38  
rijowysock
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
rijowysock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Arctic Cold
Posts: 5,721
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by stevepow View Post
No mention of such a key in the ".2" manual and I think I recall my dealer saying that none were available (I asked because I was used the to BMW "wallet" key).

But it would be nice if there was one.
i get mine tomorrow.. ill let you know.. dealer said its only under 06 in the system but he can order for 06 and give new vin so gets cut to the new car.. and just gotta wake it up by putting in ignition or something.
rijowysock is offline  
Old 02-22-2010, 01:51 AM
  #39  
Bijan
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Bijan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 620
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

The passive memory chip that holds the code for the ignition authorisation, transponder, is molded into the key head. The ECU will normally program it as a clone provided the other master keys are available and have to be inserted first in the ignition. May need the exact procedure for Porsche.
Bijan is offline  
Old 02-22-2010, 03:36 AM
  #40  
stevepow
User
 
stevepow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ATL
Posts: 1,803
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rijowysock View Post
i get mine tomorrow.. ill let you know.. dealer said its only under 06 in the system but he can order for 06 and give new vin so gets cut to the new car.. and just gotta wake it up by putting in ignition or something.
cool - can't wait to hear how it goes. pls post the part no. also.
stevepow is offline  
Old 02-22-2010, 11:44 AM
  #41  
TooSixy
User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 404
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

And price
TooSixy is offline  
Old 02-22-2010, 01:09 PM
  #42  
At Law
User
 
At Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The Great Midwest
Posts: 1,190
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Edgy01 View Post
Porsche people are "players." Not runners.
That is true, however, in order to be a successful "player," you have to be a runner.
It's a slippery slope.
At Law is offline  
Old 05-13-2013, 02:13 PM
  #43  
rijowysock
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
rijowysock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Arctic Cold
Posts: 5,721
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bijan View Post
The passive memory chip that holds the code for the ignition authorisation, transponder, is molded into the key head. The ECU will normally program it as a clone provided the other master keys are available and have to be inserted first in the ignition. May need the exact procedure for Porsche.
anyone ever figure out this procedure.. on my 997.1/997.2 i never got the "spare" programmed because they wanted 200$.. but curious now because i loved the key for the beach/sports.... generally just use to unlock door w/ real fob inside but would be nice to have it work should i need it.
rijowysock is offline  
Old 05-13-2013, 04:25 PM
  #44  
Minok
Super User
 
Minok's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 2,408
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by rijowysock View Post
anyone ever figure out this procedure.. on my 997.1/997.2 i never got the "spare" programmed because they wanted 200$.. but curious now because i loved the key for the beach/sports.... generally just use to unlock door w/ real fob inside but would be nice to have it work should i need it.
Good point. But do you even need it programmed at all? If its just cut to be able to mechanically open the door, and you keep the full key hidden but in easy access inside the door, could you then use the cut spare to open the door, retrieve the hidden real key inside, and be able to shut off the alarm before it makes too much of a racket? (or would it, given you locked the door with the spare key, never arm the alarm?)
Minok is offline  
Old 05-13-2013, 04:51 PM
  #45  
rijowysock
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
rijowysock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Arctic Cold
Posts: 5,721
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Minok View Post
Good point. But do you even need it programmed at all? If its just cut to be able to mechanically open the door, and you keep the full key hidden but in easy access inside the door, could you then use the cut spare to open the door, retrieve the hidden real key inside, and be able to shut off the alarm before it makes too much of a racket? (or would it, given you locked the door with the spare key, never arm the alarm?)
only arms if you use key to lock, i used to lock w/ key then toss key in and then close.. then alarm goes off when unlock w/ plastic


i've done the plastic twice, but always wish it worked for "just incase"
rijowysock is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spare Key (Valet Key) photo?


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: