Sponsored by:

After week 1...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 08:23 PM
tpenta
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default After week 1...

Ok, I know I said I didn't get a big shock going from the 335i to my first 911 but I now have a better perspective.

This car is great! I can't believe how much joy it is to drive it. I had always read about a car that communicates well but I didn't really know what it was until now. It's hard to explain (to non-P people) but I even enjoy driving over rough roads. There's something about the suspension and the steering that is very unique about this car.

The performance is unbelievable and absolutely way more than I can handle given my driving skills. I can definitely kill myself in that car! Of course, that would not be a bad way to go.

I've taken the back roads every night going home just so I can get a couple of nice turns in and do more driving and less sitting in traffic on the highway parking lot. Never really felt the need to do that in the BMW.

I also never felt the need to admire my 335i. It's ok looking but I never really loved it. I bought it for the driving and nots its looks. The black-on-tan 911, on the other hand, is just a joy. I find myself going to the garage after dinner and wipping it down. Maybe a bit strange...I know.

Now about the downside:

First day driving my car to work, a big SUV almost ran over me. The driver, while exiting the office building, decided to back up and go another way. She never saw me pulled up right behind her. I saw my life flashing in front of me but the horn saved the day. So lesson #1: remain visible when driving around big SUVs.

The other bad thing is that I get racing invitations all the time at stop lights. Can't people just chill out? What is it with these stop-light challengers? Is there some ego boost from taking on a sports car in the middle of city traffic? I think people want to prove that "you have a better car but I am a better driver" to themselves. Whatever. Just leave me alone!

Anyway, love my car!

-T
Old 12-18-2009, 09:48 PM
rickmdz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tpenta
I've taken the back roads every night going home just so I can get a couple of nice turns in and do more driving
I do the same, I can't find enough excuses to go out and drive my car.

I find myself going to the garage after dinner and wipping it down. Maybe a bit strange...I know.
I bet we all do this, after all we can't admire the beauty of this car while driving

So lesson #1: remain visible when driving around big SUVs.
+1 THAT should be the warning on the sunvisor ugly sticker

+100 on not racing in public streets, Go to the track to drive Like this car is meant for, spirited drive is ok on backroads but always paying attention to safety IMHO
Old 12-18-2009, 09:57 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Next step, sign up for a PCA driver's education event in the spring!
Old 12-18-2009, 10:05 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 400 Likes on 273 Posts

... The performance is unbelievable and absolutely way more than I can handle given my driving skills. I can definitely kill myself in that car! Of course, that would not be a bad way to go. ...
Wait a second... what you do may affect me or others on the road. Drive carefully and do not hurt anyone.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:18 PM
tpenta
Racer

Not sure how my driving in Southern California can hurt you all the way up in San Francisco. Is that like the butterfly effect thing you are talking about?

-T
Old 12-19-2009, 12:58 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 400 Likes on 273 Posts

Not sure how my driving in Southern California can hurt you all the way up in San Francisco. Is that like the butterfly effect thing you are talking about?

-T
Do not assume I do not drive in SoCal. LOL
Old 12-19-2009, 01:14 AM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The longer you own it, the more you appreciate it. And not just the handling and performance. For example, notice that compared to most front engine sports cars the 911 has a lower cowl, great visibility, and lots of leg room.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:58 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

much joy it is to drive it. I had always read about a car that communicates well but I didn't really know what it was until now. It's hard to explain (to non-P people) but I even enjoy driving over rough roads. There's something about the suspension and the steering that is very unique about this car.

I've taken the back roads every night going home just so I can get a couple of nice turns in and do more driving and less sitting in traffic on the highway parking lot. Never really felt the need to do that in the BMW.

I also never felt the need to admire my 335i. It's ok looking but I never really loved it. I bought it for the driving and nots its looks. The black-on-tan 911, on the other hand, is just a joy. I find myself going to the garage after dinner and wipping (wiping I guess) it down. Maybe a bit strange...I know. (only the spelling )

So lesson #1: remain visible when driving around big SUVs.

Anyway, love my car!

-T
+ 1 to all that
Old 12-19-2009, 09:49 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Great write up and my first few weeks mirrored yours. The HUGE jacked-up pick-up truck that almost drove right over me, the race invitations, etc. This one guy must have been upset that he was driving a minivan, probably with his kids strapped in on the way to day care. Well he spun those front all season tires and beat me to... the next red light. It's so easy to stay calm in this car and let the chaos go around you.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:22 AM
tpenta
Racer

Somebody should really do a social psychology study on driving behavior. I find it fascinating...

Who knows. The guy in the minivan may be similar to the guy who wrote on the other thread about considering selling the 911 in preparation for his first kid. Maybe he too sold his dream car so the kids could take their friends and go to soccer practice on Saturdays.

As for the concerned citizen in the earlier post, don't worry. I have only had one citation (not speeding-related) in the last 20 years and it's not a result of luck!

-T
Old 12-19-2009, 11:30 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Makes me appreciate Atlanta - I have had Zero race invitations. Even when driving my BMW M cars, never had too many in many years. Don't get me wrong, drivers here can be pretty aggressive and will snake position at a light or when roads are losing a lane or other questionable stunts, especially during rush hour(s) - but they seem to be car indiscriminate both in what they take on and what they take on with. Most times, if someone is in that big of a careless frenzy to get home, I just let them have the road...most times.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:46 PM
MyEmily
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drive next to me and I will race yah Driving my P-car for the first few weeks was like going to disneyland when I was a kid. Wow, with a big grin...

Quick Reply: After week 1...