Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice from New Yourk City Rennlisters.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 02:15 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Advice from New Yourk City Rennlisters.

Looks Like I will be moving to NYC by February. I plan on living in Mnahattan, probably Upper West. Does it make any sense to bring the 997S? I am looking for any excuse except that logic gets in the way. Any thoughts?
Old 12-09-2009, 02:19 PM
peterm
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

garage pricing can be stiff

where will you be using it? running to jersey and Hamptons would be fine though annoying with 6 sp in traffic

will it annoy you that a decent car wash is quite a drive away, and you have a black car!

nothing sounds better than the exhaust note reverberating off the office building when you get a chance to blow down a street
Old 12-09-2009, 03:23 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 326 Posts

wow, tough one. As mentioned above, garage space is very pricey. There are those that do it but I don't know if I could. Being in Manhattan though, you are pretty close to some nice roads in Jersey, Westchester, etc. Not to far out of the city.

You'll be working in the city as well? so, the car will really be a weekend car?
Old 12-09-2009, 03:45 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

Plan on around $400/mo for garage space if you are renting. The bigger issue will be if you're allowed to self park the car, otherwise, watch out and get ready for the dings and scratches. If you will be working in Manhattan, don't even think about using the car to commute. Plenty of other options available with transit.

That being said, there are some amazing roads just outside of the city and the Porsche/Exotic car community is very active in the area. Between the three local PCA regions (NNJR, Metro, CVR) there won't be a lack of track activities. Plus there are several other non-marquee specific car groups that often hold events and rallies.

Picking up and moving is never easy and having a nice car makes it even harder!

Good luck.
-Pete
Old 12-09-2009, 03:46 PM
dD/dt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tough call. The UWS is about the friendliest part of the city (IMHO) but still, walk the streets and see how many cars don't have scuffed up bumpers and lots of door dings. Being in a garage may help, but you'll have to get it out at some point.

If you're OK with that, keep it. I'd never take my new 997 (or anything else new) to the city. In fact, if I lived in the city, I'd probably have kept my 330i. Small, easy to park, and a few years old.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:35 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Yeah I hear you guys, not sure I want to put up $6,000 a year (at best, not including maintenance) for a weekend get away car. Maybe dD/dt makes a point, I should just bring the 540i. Going apartment hunting this weekend and I will see how it looks. Stay tuned one or both of these cars will be going up for sale and they are both great so any early interest is welcome.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:36 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

You'll be working in the city as well? so, the car will really be a weekend car?[/QUOTE]

Correct. Working in Midtown 42nd and 6th and living probably in the Upper West side.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:39 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Live outside NYC and commute. I would. Wait... I take it back, I would never live/work in a large city.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:44 PM
NYC_Z06
Advanced

Parking lot is a must. Finding something nearby and affordable (relatively speaking) will be a pain in the @$$. Windows get broken by ppl looking for change or a GPS in the glovebox, so leaving the car on the street overnight is a crapshoot w/poor odds against. Insurance most likely will go up. +1 on the driving a manual in traffic but its doable even w/a Z06 truck clutch (personal experience on that one). My approach would be to try it and if it’s unbearable (cost, walk to the lot, etc.) get rid of it. Sadly, unless you're really are into cars, it makes more sense and it’s infinitely more affordable to rely on cabs, public transportation and an occasional rental. FWIW, Riverdale (North Bronx) is a more car friendly location and 20 min from midtown by Metro North. It’s just not as happening as the UWS.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:57 PM
go-C4S-injune
Instructor

I live in Westchester and work in mid-town (57th/Madison) and use mine daily. Also, routinely drive it out of my parking garage to get to restaurants in west/east villages and else where. Knock on wood, no dings and no one's keyed my car.

I grease the garage manager $50/month and he lets me park my car in a safe spot and take the key w/ me, so I can take the car in and out during the day if need be (taken it out couple times during biz hours to joy ride down to the village, and take wife out to lunch at Pearl Oyster Bar, so it's nice having the option.) I have 6sp. Only once did I get caught in a nasty jam and the sole of my foot got sore from too much clutching and wearing soft soled shoes. I'm prolly a weirdo, but I love driving around in the city!
Old 12-09-2009, 05:46 PM
John NY-Naples
Racer

It all comes down to what you are willing to spend to have the convenience of keeping a car in NYC. There are plenty of garage attendants who will accept a nice tip to let you park your own car or reserve a safe spot for you. It really is not a question of necessity, since most anything is accessible on feet, taxis or subway. Economically, it's much cheaper to rent a car if you want to get away for the weekend. Having said that, if you have the means, keep the 997 in a car, and you'll love having access to it.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:06 PM
entdoc
Instructor

Look at Sports and Classics of New York (sportsclassicsnyc.com). I have no affiliation but have left my Porsche with them on a few occasions when driving to NYC. They have an exotics-filled garage in Brooklyn and a pick-up / drop-off in Tribeca. Their main business is storing nice cars for New Yorkers in your very situation and delivering them for occasional / weekend use. The service was great, they detailed the car beautifully and they were cheaper than hotel parking. Hope that helps.

David
Old 12-09-2009, 06:14 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by entdoc
Look at Sports and Classics of New York (sportsclassicsnyc.com). I have no affiliation but have left my Porsche with them on a few occasions when driving to NYC. They have an exotics-filled garage in Brooklyn and a pick-up / drop-off in Tribeca. Their main business is storing nice cars for New Yorkers in your very situation and delivering them for occasional / weekend use. The service was great, they detailed the car beautifully and they were cheaper than hotel parking. Hope that helps.

David
Fantastic thanks
Old 12-09-2009, 06:18 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 394 Likes on 203 Posts

I lived in Manhattan for 10 years and the only 'nice' car I had there was an Audi TT which was damaged twice in two different garages that I paid a lot of money to park in. Another time I had my radar detector stolen from the car. As far I can can remember, it was all valet park in Manhattan.
If you don't mind the fact that your bumpers will get chewed a bit and you will most likely have some paint work at some point, then do it. If you are really **** about your car,....no way.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:33 PM
entdoc
Instructor

My pleasure. Good luck with the move. I'm very envious - I wake up in a cold sweat some nights dreaming about breakfast at Barney Greengrass or lunch at Katz's.

Quick Reply: Advice from New Yourk City Rennlisters.