Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice from New Yourk City Rennlisters.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 10:20 PM
jjl
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have lived on the UWS for the last 9 years. We keep our MB ML350 in a garage, $525/month. Make sure you apply for the resident parking tax exemption (all garages have the form, and it's available on line), it lowers the parking tax from 18% to like 12% or thereabouts. You're looking at $550/mo minimum to park in a garage, and you'll have to tip the staff come holiday time, maybe even tip them when you arrive to get better care/service. Many put bumper protectors on their cars, b/c the parking staff will eventually ding them. The West Side highway leads to the Saw Mill parkway, which is a nice, curvy, scenic drive. there are other nice drives right near the city, including the Palisades Parkway. Good luck.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:08 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by jjl
I have lived on the UWS for the last 9 years. We keep our MB ML350 in a garage, $525/month. Make sure you apply for the resident parking tax exemption (all garages have the form, and it's available on line), it lowers the parking tax from 18% to like 12% or thereabouts. You're looking at $550/mo minimum to park in a garage, and you'll have to tip the staff come holiday time, maybe even tip them when you arrive to get better care/service. Many put bumper protectors on their cars, b/c the parking staff will eventually ding them. The West Side highway leads to the Saw Mill parkway, which is a nice, curvy, scenic drive. there are other nice drives right near the city, including the Palisades Parkway. Good luck.
I really feel your pain. If I was forced to live in NYC for work reasons I would not have a car and live with that outrage, and I would be moving out of there at the earliest opportunity.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:30 PM
Speed
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live on the Upper West Side and keep my 997S cabriolet here as my daily driver. I have a garage in the West 90's, heated and where I have my own space and park the car myself. No one touches it and I've even programmed my Home Link to open the garage door. Expensive? A little. But less than on the East Side. PM me if you want details.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:55 PM
Speed
Pro

Originally Posted by jjl
I have lived on the UWS for the last 9 years. We keep our MB ML350 in a garage, $525/month. Make sure you apply for the resident parking tax exemption (all garages have the form, and it's available on line), it lowers the parking tax from 18% to like 12% or thereabouts.
Note: Before you apply for the exemption, your license and registration have to reflect a Manhattan address.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:15 AM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

speed -

Nice collection.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:06 AM
Speed
Pro

Originally Posted by German_Saint
speed -

Nice collection.
Thanks.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:46 AM
apw964
Instructor

Don't bring your car.... The streets are aweful.. You'll need to drive at least 20 miles outside of the city before you can stretch it's legs, and truthfully the roads are crawling with cops.... I live about 15 miles north and find the whole experience of owning the 2S here annoying - that is having moved from CT where wonderful country roads awaited me.

Quick Reply: Advice from New Yourk City Rennlisters.