Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most Recent RMS Failure guy here....

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 06:58 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Most Recent RMS Failure guy here....

Well, had my car at my shop getting adding some front rotors, pads all around etc oil change and just heard back my RMS is leaking.... I use a shop I trust for regular maintenace (rather then dealer) and this way I know one guy is touching my car and he is excellant.

The car is 05 and is CPO.... and I have started to read about RMS etc... but how do I know how my engine is fine as I have heard of leaky RMS leading to engine failure. Also have done some research that notes how dealers choose to fix RMS compared to if you had it done by a great mechanic. Noting the dealer does the minimal work sometimes where someone that has your best interest in mind may go the extra mille etc etc .....

Any suggestions for when I bring to my dealer on how to make sure I address this getting the best correct fix available...

Thanks all.....

and yes have read about 20 threads on this and will read another 20 more self educating but figured I would toss it out there for those willing to help, thanks in advance
Old 11-16-2009, 07:34 PM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the RMS problem on my previous 996 with very low miles about one month after purchase, about four years ago. Prabably caused by sitting in the showroom for a number of months.
Dealer fixed it with the latest seal which comes with an insertion tool. Did about 30 K miles untill early this year with not a problem.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:35 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Only the dealer is able to provide CPO coverage. Dealers can go the extra mile providing goodwill if need be... Good luck!
Old 01-22-2010, 12:48 AM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Took my car in for a tuneup and was told the RMS was leaking. Never saw any oil on the ground but they insist it's leaking. Car was delivered new in August 2006 and currently has 77,000 miles on it, of which about 3,000 miles are track use. Thankfully, I purchased an extended warranty - through 100k miles - just prior to the factory warranty expiring so it will be repaired under warranty.

Thinking about LWF and new clutch while the tranny is out. Anyone done this with a 997?

MC
Old 01-22-2010, 09:08 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

A leaking/seeping RMS will, in itself, NOT lead to engine failure. It is a $90 to $110 part but the labor cost is around $700 +/-. Since your car is CPO, the dealer should take care of it. Your car should be fine. Don't fret over it.

Have them check the clutch while they are in there. If the clutch is worn by 50% or more, I would have them replace it. The clutch parts will be your expense, but there should not be any additional labor to swap the clutch when they are doing a RMS replacement.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:03 AM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 114 Posts

mickfluff - How are you buddy?

Please don't confuse RMS leaks with IMS failures. I've never heard of an RMS leak leading to engine failure. Now when the IMS goes... BOOM. Porsche to their credit (though very slowly) contiues to improve on the RMS. Bill found the same in my wifes Boxster and Porsche fixed it at their cost. It's been dry ever since (12K+).

I'd take it to Porsche and let them fix it. I'll bet you a beer it won't leak again.

Best

Matt (in MA)
Old 01-22-2010, 11:16 AM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt(inMA)
I'd take it to Porsche and let them fix it. I'll bet you a beer it won't leak again.
Yes. Though it's a PITA of anxiety and inconvenience now, in a few weeks you can justifiably forget all about it. Once fixed RMS leaks usually don't come back. If they do Porsche will change out the engine (after three attempts to fix). So, it's a win-win situation in the long run, just a PITA for now. It's a long shot but you might get a "new" engine!
Old 01-22-2010, 11:36 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by H20NOO
Took my car in for a tuneup and was told the RMS was leaking. Never saw any oil on the ground but they insist it's leaking. Car was delivered new in August 2006 and currently has 77,000 miles on it, of which about 3,000 miles are track use. Thankfully, I purchased an extended warranty - through 100k miles - just prior to the factory warranty expiring so it will be repaired under warranty.

Thinking about LWF and new clutch while the tranny is out. Anyone done this with a 997?

MC
Search around for LWFW threads concerning crankshaft balance and harmonic vibrations. rule of thumb I guess is that you cannot use LWFW with stock clutch - you need clutch disk with springs to partially compensate vibrations, but still you are not guaranteed that your crankshaft will not be damaged. I would speak about this with some reputable mechanic who knows this issue better than forum posters.

From other side a lot of people do drive with LWFWs and nothing brakes.

Quick Reply: Most Recent RMS Failure guy here....