Sponsored by:

OEM Sunshade?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 06:49 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by royalpar1
Champion currently out of stock but will have them next week around wednesday or Thursday. I will go there and put the unit against the cover craft so that this string will come to a an end with the results
Most excellent!
Old 10-17-2009, 11:43 PM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PHD2Xs - thanks for the photos - mine doesn't fit as well as yours, in fact when mine is all the way at the base of the windshield my sun visors have about 1/4" clearance. If I rest the shade on the dashtop, the sun visors just reaches the end of the shade.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:52 AM
PHDX2
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My pleasure providing the photos! I'm glad that fellow Rennlist members have found them to be helpful.

This is becoming a very interesting thread as some 997 owners have expressed that the OEM sunshield fits perfectly while others have indicated a less than perfect fit.

I initially thought that the differences expressed perhaps resulted from subtle variations in the windshield/dashboard molding structures between vehicles, either resulting from a production issue, minute model-year alterations, or through too forcefully inserting the sunshield into the windshield/dashboard gap which possibly altered the molding structure. Perhaps, though, there might be a production issue with the OEM sunshield itself.

It’s strange that 997 owners are expressing such different experiences regarding the fit of OEM sunshields carrying identical part numbers.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:17 AM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think it's the fit of the OEM sunshields - the good news is that mine will fit. It's not a perfect fit, but it will reduce the heat, so I can get still get another few years out of it.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:10 PM
royalpar1
Instructor

Default Perfect fit

The Sunshield from overcraft although well made has a 1.5 inch gap on either side. It is not very difficult to install, so although it does drop the heat tremendously, i feel the fit is not custom. I spoke to the parts desk person at Champion, while he felt the covercraft was well made, he felt the Porsche piece was better made and will fit perfectly. I will see if that is true when they come in on wednesday or thursday.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:29 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 276 Posts

There is definitely a difference in angle or windshield depth among 997 models.

On my Gt3 mk1, this sunshade slid down a lot barely catching the sun visors, as the depth of the windshield was greater than on my 997.2 Cab. It fits the new cab perfectly though.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:45 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Chris C.
There is definitely a difference in angle or windshield depth among 997 models.

On my Gt3 mk1, this sunshade slid down a lot barely catching the sun visors, as the depth of the windshield was greater than on my 997.2 Cab. It fits the new cab perfectly though.
I think that you are right that there is diff in height between the coupes and the cabs - the cabs' windshields being shorter. So there's fitting in height and in width to check, both in coupes and cabs.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:38 PM
royalpar1
Instructor

Thumbs up The end of a Journey

Ok, I went to the dealer today for service and to fix a bunch of trim. My Porsche Sunshade came in It appears to be made by covercraft, however it is not the same size or shape or cutouts. Close but no cigar. The Porsche Unit fits much better than the covercraft. It is not perfect but pretty close. I did not have much time to spend with it as I was leaving my car for service. I did though try the Porsche unit and my vote is to keep the Porsche Shield and return the covercraft. The Porsche also comes with a "useless" storage bag. It is difficult enough to fold but to fold and put in the storage unit is actually work if you are going to use it on a daily basis.

on a 1-10 scale cover craft solid 8, Porsche 9

Old 10-21-2009, 10:51 PM
PHDX2
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent investigative work! I’m sure that this information will be most helpful to the OP and to many others reading this thread. Thanks for your efforts!
Old 10-21-2009, 10:57 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Indeed! Thanks to royalpar1 for a thorough job!
Old 10-22-2009, 12:24 AM
jonezy
Advanced

Default What about the coupe rear window?!!

First, I am acutely interested in the outcome of this thread regarding the fit for the traditional front windshield shade and whether or not there is a preferred model for the 996 or 997, and value the posts in this thread.

However, I have to ask, what are folks doing for the rear window in the the 997Coupe??!!

Granted, I am not aware of anything on the aftermarket that would be a perfect fit and absolutely convenient, but I have seen some retractable / roll up style shades that look like the might work fairly easily, such as this:

http://www.autosunshades.net/

I wonder if anyone has tried them? Is this worthy of its own post/thread?

I am not a fan of window tinting, but I live in Florida and would like to know whether anyone else has thought about this or tried anything.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:42 AM
Hamotee
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the follow up on this guys, I'm going to order the Porsche unit in the next day or two.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:46 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

The rear window is not a major concern. A simple light-colored towel thrown over stuff or the shelf is plenty.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:42 AM
jonezy
Advanced

Sure a towel will cover your stuff, but it doesnt keep the damaging UV rays out of the car or help keep the car from heating up... just thinking one of these roller doo hikceys mounted on the bottom and pulled up to the top of the rear window when one parks might not be a bad solution.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:31 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

A white cotton towel will reflect through the back window most of the energy. I think that mounting a contraption back there is overkill. BTW, UV should be filtered by the glass, it's mostly IR.

Quick Reply: OEM Sunshade?