Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the pictures!
Old 10-08-2009, 10:51 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by PHDX2
As promised, here are a few photos of the OEM sunshield (PNA-505-996) in use.
Thanks for the photos.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:10 PM
TooSixy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, PHDX2!
Old 10-09-2009, 06:19 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 277 Posts

I have the exact same one as shown, 996 part.

PHDX2 do you have a secret as to how you keep the shade from extending so far down on the dsah as to miss the sun visors when down? It works OK, but I'd say it aint perfect for that reason.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:14 PM
PHDX2
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris C.
I have the exact same one as shown, 996 part.

PHDX2 do you have a secret as to how you keep the shade from extending so far down on the dsah as to miss the sun visors when down? It works OK, but I'd say it aint perfect for that reason.
No secrets regarding installation other than the things noted in my earlier post. The sunshield, when installed, reaches beyond the leading edges of the extended sun visors by around one inch, giving it plenty of visor room upon which to rest.

How firmly are you pressing the sunshield into place at the base of the windshield? I don't note any flexibility in the gap between the dashboard and windshield, but perhaps if sufficient pressure was applied at some earlier point (or perhaps due to an issue with production), the molding might be out of place, causing the sunshield to slide too deeply into this gap.

At the moment, no other ideas come to mind. Just as communicated in my prior posts, the sunshield fits perfectly in my 997.

Hope you are able to resolve this matter. Nice car, by the way!
Old 10-15-2009, 06:33 PM
royalpar1
Instructor

Default Fitting

Hi Guys, i just got a solar shield from autogeek.net. while it seems to fit ok, i am not sure. it has about 1 inch of glass showing on each side. is this correct, or do i need to go to a official porsche product. It was ordered specifically for the 06 997, but i dont think it should be glass on either side? Help !
Old 10-15-2009, 07:00 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by royalpar1
Hi Guys, i just got a solar shield from autogeek.net. while it seems to fit ok, i am not sure. it has about 1 inch of glass showing on each side. is this correct, or do i need to go to a official porsche product. It was ordered specifically for the 06 997, but i dont think it should be glass on either side? Help !
What unit did you buy? what is the part No.? is it UV11029?
Old 10-15-2009, 07:56 PM
royalpar1
Instructor

Question not sure

will check the packing slip in the office tommorow, but it is from cover craft and i called them and they said it was normal, but it just does not seem correct if it is a custom fitted part
Old 10-15-2009, 08:03 PM
PHDX2
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One inch of glass on each side? That leaves quite a bit of space for light entry.

As illustrated in the photos presented in my earlier post, the OEM sunshield provides full coverage. Only slight light seepage is present around the corners and, of course, at the cutout for the mirror.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:32 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

will check the packing slip in the office tommorow, but it is from cover craft and i called them and they said it was normal, but it just does not seem correct if it is a custom fitted part
Please verify if the CoverCraft part no. is UV11029. That is the correct part number for the 997. If there is a gap sideways there's a problem. I'm interested to know as I ordered one, but mine will only be here next week and to compound things my ordered car is still a couple of weeks away...

The 996 OEM part was made by CoverCraft and the only diff to the product they sell direct is the labeling.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:09 PM
royalpar1
Instructor

Default Cover Craft

Yes, the number is what you say it should be, however does anyone on this board actually have the unit on a 997 ? Mine is narrow on either side by 1.5 inches. I just dont feel it is really custom for the car. Up and down it is fine, even the opening where the mirror is works for me. To me it is not designed for a 997 . comments ?
Old 10-16-2009, 10:26 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Yes, the number is what you say it should be, however does anyone on this board actually have the unit on a 997 ? Mine is narrow on either side by 1.5 inches. I just dont feel it is really custom for the car. Up and down it is fine, even the opening where the mirror is works for me. To me it is not designed for a 997 . comments ?
I agree, and thank you for your due diligence. That part number should be a good fit to the 997. I will receive mine next week and I will check it. If the fit of the one I receive is as you describe I will return it.

P.S. - looking at post #30, it looks like that PHDX2's OEM cover also has a gap horizontally (we know it has a significant one vertically).

-
Old 10-16-2009, 10:57 PM
royalpar1
Instructor

Default Crazy

You know what is crazy is that for 4 years, no sun shade, now that i have one, i want it to block out all the rays. I can say the car is significantly cooler with it on and will protect the dash from the florida sun. I am calling champion tommorow and see if they have the OEM, if they do, i will drive over and try it.

If it fits better than the covercraft i will advise.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:12 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

You know what is crazy is that for 4 years, no sun shade, now that i have one, i want it to block out all the rays. I can say the car is significantly cooler with it on and will protect the dash from the florida sun. I am calling champion tommorow and see if they have the OEM, if they do, i will drive over and try it.

If it fits better than the covercraft i will advise.

That would be terrific, to try side-by-side the OEM and the one you have. Champion may have it and Suncoast should also.

For a total fit and coverage, I guess nothing beats the HeatShield from CanvasWorks but it does not look as sharp as the one you have now.

Old 10-17-2009, 06:47 PM
royalpar1
Instructor

Default Out of Stock

Champion currently out of stock but will have them next week around wednesday or Thursday. I will go there and put the unit against the cover craft so that this string will come to a an end with the results

Quick Reply: OEM Sunshade?