Sponsored by:

Coupe to Cab?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 04:48 PM
pt767
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coupe to Cab?

Still on my 1st Porsche ('06 S) & the experience has been great. I've had the car just about 2 years & have wished on lots of days that I had a cab. I live in SoCal so there's lots of good days to go topless. Pros/cons?....I don't track the car (probably should!)Fire away!

pt
Old 09-19-2009, 04:58 PM
royalpar1
Instructor

My wife drives the hard top, Mercedes E350 My 10, I have the drop top, we only go out in mine, there is nothing better than putting down the top, and feeling the wind in your hair (i dont have much hair, so it probably feels better ) I dont track the car, dont care about the tracking the car and just love my car.
I love my convertible !
Old 09-19-2009, 05:05 PM
swajames
Racer

I went from coupe to cab (2007 S Coupe to 2008 S Cab). I think I prefer the looks of the coupe, but I absolutely love (and prefer) the top-down drive in the cab. For me, it's taken the car to a new level. It's perfect for those of us in NorCal and SoCal.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:21 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I moved from Newport Beach to Massachusetts a few years ago, always had Coupes. Bought my first CAB a couple years ago, and would never own anything else. A CAB is like a vacation within a vacation. Living in SoCal, you can really enjoy it year round. As convertibles go, the 911 has all the safety without obstructions behind you, a perfect cabriolet.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:22 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 215 Posts

The cabs are so well engineered, that the differance from the cab to the coupe in terms of rigidity, noise at speed and overall comfort is next to bugger all - and the new dimenision the cab will bring to your ownership experience will pleasantly surprise you I think - in my opinion. There is no feeling quite so special as a morning drive into work, the day sunny and cool, with the top down - windows up...or a hot afternoon along a country road Bose sound system waling, or a warm summer night driving home after a night out or....well you get the idea...
Old 09-19-2009, 05:28 PM
pt767
Instructor

My arm is slowly being twisted based on the response......what have I done?!
Old 09-19-2009, 05:51 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Normally the convertible version has much worse performance than the coupe rival (M3 for example, which weighs 133 lbs more than an M5!). But not so in the 997. The weight is virtually identical, the top functions well and it doesn't feel like an entirely different car than the coupe.

Keep in mind I live in Phoenix so it's always top down during 9 months of the year, and top down mornings/evenings during the other 3 months. If I lived in a place with 4 seasons I'm not sure I would have made the same decision.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:18 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Go for the cab!! I'm in SoCal, and sold my 05 C2S cab when miles were getting up there and warranty expiration was looming. I got a Targa 4S, but as much as I love the Targa, I miss that cab! If a buyer came along for the Targa, I would switch back to a cab in a heartbeat. SoCal is perfect for a cab! Oh, and BTW, there is no reason not to track it too!

Get out that checkbook and help stimulate this economy as well as your driving experience.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:47 PM
SY-997
Instructor

When I got my first convertible after moving to California, I wondered to myself "why would anyone drive with a top up?" Then as I got older I started feeling cold in the morning and hot in the afternoon. Plus I needed a sedan to hold the family.

Now I have a cab with heated and ventilated seats and its all good! For me, any degradation in performance is offset by the sensory pleasure of being more exposed to the elements. With that said, if I lived in the city again I probably wouldn't want to be exposed in a cab.

Maybe you can have 1 of each?
Old 09-19-2009, 06:50 PM
Jlangmd
Racer

Go cab.

I had to drive with top up on Tuesday this past week due to rain, first time without the open air in about a month, and I hated it.

Apart from being stuck on the highway behind a truck loaded with pigs, there are no major drawbacks.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:58 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I had cab. Went to coupe and love it. Cab was too
open. Always the temp outside. Hard to air condition
Old 09-19-2009, 07:13 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

SoCal.
No track.
No brainer.
Cab
Old 09-19-2009, 07:44 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
I had cab. Went to coupe and love it. Cab was too
open. Always the temp outside. Hard to air condition
I had a triple black cab in SoCal and never had a problem with air conditioning, even on the hottest days. The ONLY drawback I saw to the cab was higher noise level with top up when driving in heavy freeway traffic. The tire noise from adjacent vehicles would come through by the rear quarter windows. A minor price to pay though.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:00 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

I always had coupe but had to get a cabriolet being where I am. There's nothing quite like a midnight drive with the top down and the seat heaters on! The Milkyway looks better from a cab!
Old 09-19-2009, 08:07 PM
ATX
Rennlist Member

If I lived in SoCal I would have a Cab, without question. In Texas a Cab is like putting yourself in a blast furnace or kiln for the 6 hot months out of the year.

Quick Reply: Coupe to Cab?