feel free to yell at me, but what is TP on PCM 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 11:08 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default feel free to yell at me, but what is TP on PCM 3.0

in radio mode i have TP on/off
in Sat mods i have TP with 10 settings up/down (similar to the bass/treble settings)

ive looked in main manual, says look in PCM manual, i looked in PCM manual and the only thing that has a t and p in it is traffic program but then it goes on to say something about how navigation is needed for traffic programming?

-riley
Old 09-16-2009, 11:11 PM
baileybonds
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe it's Traffic Program that comes through the radio
Old 09-16-2009, 11:13 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by baileybonds
I believe it's Traffic Program that comes through the radio
if this is true (as i noted the only words with T and P in them in the book) it doesnt do anything, what is it supposed to do if on or adjusted up/down? does it find out where i am and give me some kind of heads up .. but then again without navi.. how would it have a clue where i am...
Old 09-16-2009, 11:17 PM
Pincomar
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From Wikipeida:

TA, TP
Traffic Announcement, Traffic Programme The receiver can often be set to pay special attention to this flag and e.g. stop the tape/pause the CD or retune to receive a Traffic bulletin. The TP flag is used to allow the user to find only those stations that regularly broadcast traffic bulletins whereas the TA flag is used to stop the tape or raise the volume during a traffic bulletin.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:02 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Isn't TP mainly for European application?
Old 09-17-2009, 01:13 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

The Traffic Advisory System has been a European institution for many many years,--at no fee.

Only in America can someone figure out how to make the public good (less congestion) be chargeable,--so when the satellite receivers started to become available for the 911, that option, along with navigation, come together to give you traffic advisories.

The service in Europe is absolutely seamless, and works extremely well. But keep in mind, that European roadways are completely different than what we have in the USA.

Implemented in limited city areas in the USA, it gives you guidance to direct you away from congestion in near real-time, but the road systems are absolutely different than in Europe. For example, in America, there is often only one road in and out of a place. If there's a wreck on it,--there is no alternate to reroute to. You have no viable option. Yet in America, someone in the satellite business is more than willing to charge you for this limited information, on a monthly subscription basis.

Someone should start a letter-writing campaign to get this information free to all Americans. It would do wonders at helping with congestion, where it can.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:15 AM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here Here...
Old 09-17-2009, 01:18 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Our politicians would rather build bridges to nowhere.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:30 AM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It works great in LA on my gfs bmw 335i
Old 09-17-2009, 02:51 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

As I understand it, the traffic data is coming from satelite radio (XM) feed. If I understand TP correctly, when it's on, you'll hear the Navi advise that it's "rerouting due to new traffic information" (at least, that's what I hear in the system ... and when it does reroute you, hell, it's uncanny how well it does ... I've been sent on side roads off the freeway because of roadworks at a specific time of day and directed to a different mountain road to avoid the fire fighting recently ... amazing to see anything "high tech" in a Porsche and absolutely astounding to find that it actually works ...)
Old 09-17-2009, 02:54 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

well i guess i have it because i have XM then from factory. but i dont have NAVI and i heard u cannot add it whatsoever on 997.2 so i guess ill never be using it :-(
Old 09-17-2009, 03:40 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

When I did my European Delivery I had a vague understanding of how the system used to work years ago in Europe, and they have had decades to improve upon it.

The way it works over there (same basic idea) is that the roadways are being queried for activity,--speeds, etc. and the sensors submit this information somewhat locally to a computer that compiles this information. It then transmits information concerning traffic movement for various sections of roadways (e.g., autobahns) to all European radios which have the ability to receive the Traffic Advisories. Once navigational systems began to be fielded in vehicles the computer in the car takes over and instead of you receiving merely a spoken voice that warns of a blockage at mile marker XXX to YYY the receiver submits the data message to the navigational computer which then parses out the relevant information (that which is along your route of travel if you have a destination beyond the obstruction) to the display and to the computer. On the display appear small triangles on the map, itself, indicating a "stau" or quite literally a "backup." It then factors the congestion into a rerouting subroutine in order to quickly exit you off that roadway and into a less congested road. Once you clear the Stau, you are rerouted back onto the autobahn ASAP.

(Keep in mind that another thing that didn't quite make the translation between European mentality and USA market is the Route Options, i.e., shorter route vice faster route. If you chose the faster route in the USA it will ALWAYS route you to a freeway, making the (false) assumption that being on a freeway is significantly better than being on a surface road. Often times, the "shorter" option is far better because the speed differential between a surface roadway in the USA and the freeway is what,--maybe 20 mph. In Europe, quite often the speed differential may be that between the surface country roads (always 100kph) and the autobahn (250kph or higher) is substantial, so getting to an autobahn even if going out of your way a bit, winds up being worthwhile. Be prepared in the USA to switch back and forth between shortest and fastest and keep the above information in mind).

If you ever do a European Delivery this thing is outstanding. Sadly, the United States appears to have that old "not invented here" mentality, and it's implementation is far from the maturity level of Central Europe.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:10 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

As I understand it, the Traffic Program indicated by "TP" and the XM Nav Traffic Info are not the same thing.

The explanation is fairly long - find it in the PCM Manual () on page 24/25. Enable by selecting both Tuner/FM/Options/Traffic Prog. (this gets the "TP" to show up in the info line) and SET FM/RBDS.

I normally don't listen to FM - not sure if that is required (probably) or even if I did there'd be anything to hear about, so I don't know what this feature does beyond the weak description in the manual and this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Data_System as mentioned before.

I think this stuff IS free - just might not be widely implemented or perhaps only during rush hour.

There are Nav systems (e.g., Garmin) that do support a paid FM based Traffic Info (from ClearChannel I reckon) that is similar to XM.

Volume settings for TP can be set with the Sound/Options menu along with Ring Tone and Route Guidance. This menu is available for all sound sources including FM, SAT, DISC, etc - I don't think it has anything specifically to do with where the TP comes from - just a generic sound "mixer" menu.

The PCM Manual is pretty bad though - no overview of the MENU items, so you really have to almost already understand how to use PCM to understand the Manual. That and the way it goes back and forth with features that may or may not be in your PCM depending on whether Bose Surround is there or not. "Loudness" or "SDV" for example - you only know that those are not part of the Bose System settings by experience rather than from a clear explanation.

Similar with TP - once we know what it is by clever detective work, we can figure out how to turn it on and set the volume, but still have no idea what to expect from it.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:15 AM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Yes, old thread but XM Traffic and this are not the same (trying to get the XM traffic activated on my unit now and found this)

When I lived it europe, all TP did was monitor all frequency for TP trigger signal and switch from CD/Tape/FM/AM to a FM station that would be announcing World War III was starting or some other important event, then switch back to your previous source.

More recently I have seen this behaviour in parts of africa as well. Now if it has been updated to allow RDS data feeds as well, I have no clue.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:33 AM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

/\ He started it

There is no longer a need to pay Garmin monthly fees for traffic services. Now all smart phones have data plans already and there are apps available that offer spoken navigation with traffic warnings at no additional charge. My Blackberry Q10 Maps app does just that. It says stuff like "In about….9 kilometres…moderate traffic congestion. 14 minutes delay." Did not trust its accuracy the first time and I haven't made that mistake again. I love it.

Quick Reply: feel free to yell at me, but what is TP on PCM 3.0