Sponsored by:

PDK Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 12:33 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by todd.
It's a Porsche 911, dumbing down the rpm's to that extreme for better mileage is asinying, and disparages a great sports car.
I cannot stand to drive my PDK in Auto mode, not even in traffic, it's pathetic. So, I drive in Manual mode only, gotten used to the controls, and enjoy it.
Do not necessarily disagree. That Porsche did it this way just shows you how much pressure it is under to bring down CO2 emissions and improve gas mileage.

I've read that automatics (slush boxes, F1-style and PDK style) shift maps are somewhat are in no smal part driven by the driving cycles used to qualify cars in the EU region and short shifting -- shifting to next higher gear at very low RPMS -- helps the car deliver much better numbers.

Car makers and their drivetrain engineers are gaming the tests with custom shift maps tailored to the tests.

I expect the aftermarket will soon develop/release altered shift maps for these transmissions to do away with the factory maps and bring back some excitement.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:52 AM
talkinghead
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Do not necessarily disagree. That Porsche did it this way just shows you how much pressure it is under to bring down CO2 emissions and improve gas mileage.

I've read that automatics (slush boxes, F1-style and PDK style) shift maps are somewhat are in no smal part driven by the driving cycles used to qualify cars in the EU region and short shifting -- shifting to next higher gear at very low RPMS -- helps the car deliver much better numbers.

Car makers and their drivetrain engineers are gaming the tests with custom shift maps tailored to the tests.

I expect the aftermarket will soon develop/release altered shift maps for these transmissions to do away with the factory maps and bring back some excitement.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Good points Macster!
I'd bet there are already re-mapping algorithms available, however it's got to be pretty complex to do all that thinking, brake shifts, etc.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:21 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

"arc sin y" - I have looked all over for this and don't see how it applies to our cars - at least at the level a comsumer would understand.

Quick Reply: PDK Question