Sponsored by:

Solution to vibration after center pipe install on 997.2

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 02:46 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Solution to vibration after center pipe install on 997.2

As per other thread but for those too lazy to read.

Go back thru and loosen all bolts and retighten firm but not hard. I'd say 15lbs tq at most.

Vibration goes away.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:01 AM
SCGuy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to wrap this up...the nuts on the exhaust flange should be tightened to 18 ft/lbs. I also tightened the clamps that connect the center exhaust to the side mufflers to this torque as well.

It does make a difference...most of my vibration is gone. I believe it is the clamps that have the most impact...the position of these clamps and the torque to which the nuts are tightened matters. Let's hope it stays this way!

And thanks to Alex at Sharkwerks for providing great assistance during this process. It also gave them something to check and think about
Old 09-19-2009, 04:07 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by SCGuy
Just to wrap this up...the nuts on the exhaust flange should be tightened to 18 ft/lbs. I also tightened the clamps that connect the center exhaust to the side mufflers to this torque as well.

It does make a difference...most of my vibration is gone. I believe it is the clamps that have the most impact...the position of these clamps and the torque to which the nuts are tightened matters. Let's hope it stays this way!

And thanks to Alex at Sharkwerks for providing great assistance during this process. It also gave them something to check and think about
Our pleasure and thanks for digging/poking around and generally being so helpful yourself That is absolutely correct- position of the clamps and the tq is key:P

I'm glad you like the sound!
Old 10-13-2009, 12:38 AM
JohnAMG
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally I solve the slight vibration I was still having with the Sharkwerk bypass pipes. One of the bracket on the pipes was in heavy contact with the primary muffler support bracket. After I saw off the bracket to eliminate the contact the vibration is completely gone. Thanks to mdrum's advice to look for any contact with pipes, now I can enjoy the improved exhuast sound without any vibration.

John
Old 03-11-2011, 09:30 PM
mmmazing
Intermediate

Does anyone have pictures of the fix, installing mine this weekend and want to make sure it's done correctly. Thanks
Old 03-13-2011, 03:08 AM
dhud
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, installed my Sharkwerks x-pipe bypass yesterday and wondered what all the fuss was about with vibrations. Driving the car today, I stopped at a stop sign and ,wow, got the vibration and sounds this post was talking about. Makes no sense to me? Having installed several exhaust over the years and knowing that these things are seriously tough and need to be man-handled, I went back and checked out my system. For me, in the process of removing the support brakets (top two bolts) for the side mufflers off of the catalytic converter flange on each side, I had no choice but to bend them to move them to the side of the car allowing removal of the center exhaust. In the process, I bent the bracket on the driver side enough that after the install, the secondary muffler outlet pipe and the x-pipe bypass pipe were really close to one another. I took a feeler guage and measured a gap of .025 inches. I suspicion, this is where my vibration was coming from. So, per this thread, I loosened all bolts and grabbed a hold of the drivers exhaust and forcefully pulled it towards the outside of the car creating a much larger gap between the bypass pipe and the muffler pipe. I torqued all bolts to 18 Lb-ft and then made sure the drivers side pipes were not touching and, after a test drive, the vibrations are gone. As stated earlier, these exhaust are tough. though we think our cars are delicate, sometimes it takes some serious man handling to set things correctly.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:03 PM
uhn2000
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

So weird.. I got mine installed (Targa4S) and the vibrations are very obvious. I took it back to the mechanic and we took another look and there is tons of space everywhere. Some sparse pictures attached. I will post video in a second.. +

Last edited by uhn2000; 08-07-2015 at 12:03 AM.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:08 PM
uhn2000
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Here is the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV7595mO10A

Joe
Old 03-19-2011, 11:40 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

You don't have to have two parts touch to get a vibration. A tuning fork vibrates but not because the forks touch each other. If items are connected mechanically they can vibrate if the connecting points are are too tight or not tight enough.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:15 PM
td_fl
Rennlist Member

Default Vibration fixed

I just (finally) figured out my vibration problem. The solution for me was related to the hanger brackets for the exhaust. The bracket was pulling the exhaust down slightly on the right, enough that it was putting pressure on the rubber grommets that support the hanger. We clearanced the top hole on the bracket slightly to allow more movement (see attached), and the problem went away. Awesome!

TD
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Solution to vibration after center pipe install on 997.2