Sponsored by:

Engine Running Lean

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 04:26 PM
camhabib
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Running Lean

Brought my car over to my local dealer to have them take a look at the TPMS which hasn't been able to learn the wheels (they ordered a new module for the car). I got the treat of being able to go back and talk with the head tech as he showed me the diagnostics system. As he was checking for any faults, there where two, "Engine bank 1 running lean" and likewise for bank 2. He asked if I had received any check engine lights, which I hadn't, and he didn't pay much attention to it otherwise. He had also noted as soon as he turned the car on, that it was idling a little on the rough side, but it immediately settled out.

I'm curious if anyone could shed some more light on this for me. The car is an 09 produced C4S with 800 miles on it, all put on by me in the past week. Could this be a precursor to some kind of fuel pump issue? Anything to worry about? The tech didn't seem too bothered by it, so I didn't press for any additional info, but you never know. Any info is appreciated.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:43 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

I have 2800mi on my 09 (3/09 build w/ 4/09 delivery). I have noticed a little roughness on start up which settles down very quickly. This roughness is associated w/ some minimal bouncing of the tachometer which also settles down quickly (within 30sec after startup). Start up is not sluggish. No CELs. It's possible that these symptoms are an early harbinger of worse things to come, possibly a HPFP failure. Time will tell.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:54 PM
camhabib
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I've sat in quite a few 09 Carreras during my search, and they all felt just as rough to me as this. He said it's normal for some starts to be a little rough, but as long as it settles out within a second or two, it's ok.

The car is under warranty for the next 4 years so, hopefully if anything goes wrong, it goes wrong during that time.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:48 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,913 Likes on 1,539 Posts

I have similar symptoms in mine and also get some minor lumpiness around 2500-2600 rpm when accelerating moderatly. Do you guys have that at all?

My car is an 09 C2S and has done 2100kms, around 1300 miles.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:23 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Yeah, I've noticed that around 2500 there is some lumpiness, but I attributed that to the PDK/auto/Norm going to quickly to a high gear at low mph. In Sport or in manual/norm it's completely smooth.

Quick Reply: Engine Running Lean