Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$1 for your thoughts - JD Power - Viper? Vette? Huh?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 10:15 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default $1 for your thoughts - JD Power - Viper? Vette? Huh?

Got my "tell us about your purchase" survey today - well, it was a WEB survey, but they sent $1 in the mail with the URL.

A bunch of Q's about dealer experience, then went into "what else did you look at while shopping" and somehow the Qs turned to "why not a Viper or Corvette"?

Not that there's anything wrong with those cars - well I don't know it there is or not, but do JD Power and maybe even Chrysler and Chevy think that a 911 and those cars go in the same bucket and are competing for the same market?

Somehow to me, a light, nimble, 6 cyl sports car and two V8 muscle car beasts just are not apples and apples. Is there an American car that actually competes toe to toe with a 911? I cannot think of one. I thought these people were supposed to know something about cars or car buyers or...very strange survey. Marketeers - gotta wonder what they hell they are thinking sometimes.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:16 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree that the Viper is sort of the odd one out, but cross-shopping a 911 and a Z06 doesn't seem crazy to me.

The Z06 weighs less than your "light, nimble, 6 cyl sports car" and has a true dry-sump engine. They're evenly matched at the track and the Z06 is way better on an autocross course. The Porsche definitely has the edge on the street and with a valet.

It's not nearly as much of a leap as you make it sound.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:17 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Unless the study was sponsored by someone?
Old 08-18-2009, 10:19 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 505 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Unless the study was sponsored by someone?
Bingo.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:30 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

This survey was sponsored by the letter V.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:10 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before I bought my 911 S last year I also considered the Z06 and the Viper, as well as some other cars like the SL550 and M6. I was looking for a fun-to-drive high performance car with a goal of not spending over $100K. I didn't test drive a Z06 but I did drive a base C6 Corvette. It made lots of torque but driving it felt weird and the interior was too cheezy, especially the seats. The Viper is awesome, but 600 hp with no traction control or stability control??? I'd probably be dead by now or at least in a ditch somewhere. The SL550 is more of an overweight two seat luxury car than a real sports car. And as for the M6, several years ago I vowed not to buy any more BMW's until they stop making them so ugly. Before choosing the 911 S I was concerned that I would have buyer's remorse since it only makes 355 hp and costs more than some other cars that make 500 or 600 hp. But after owning it a year I can say that lack of power is definitely not an issue.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:36 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I looked at the Z06 too. It was a POS. The Dealer was a POS and I will NEVER do that again.
flipping chevy dealer selling $80K cars is ridiculous. They have NO business doing that or letting
their service dept. working on that type of car.

Quick Reply: $1 for your thoughts - JD Power - Viper? Vette? Huh?