Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Import 997 Turbo to US (How To?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 05:17 PM
lynchke1
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Import 997 Turbo to US (How To?)

Hi
Can anyone help? I have had no success in finding out what mods are needed to use my 911 in the US.
I will be moving from Switzerland next month where I bought my new car in 2007, dealers are offering about half what I paid for it and that's why I want to take it with me. I may well be back in Europe in 2 - 3 years and would intend to bring it back.
So in short, what needs to be done and what is the cost to comply with FMVSS?
Or
Who would know?

Many thanks
Old 05-30-2009, 07:58 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

I suspect that Porsche can tell you the specifics. Tuning may be the same,--I had heard some time back that they were going for a global tune where possible. Some issues can be sorted out from the DOT (Department of Transportation) by contacting them directly. It will involve things like ride height, lighting, and safety features. Some time back Porsche adopted most if not all the USA DOT safety standards for all cars after an incident involving a Porsche test driver in a 944. I think, by the end of it all, it will be an easy switch. Of course, you'll need the MPH speedo on the left.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:59 AM
lynchke1
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Porsche in the US and Germany have been no help at all, Ill keep looking for a definative answer.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:10 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 894 Likes on 547 Posts

Unfortunately, you will find out that from a financial perspective this will not be worth it. You need to pass DOT and EPA certifications for the importation of the car and there are specific emissions requirements for each State. By the time you have doen all the required modifications, you will have spent in excess of what you could purchase an equivalent used US car for. Some more valuable info:

Originally Posted by Nicole
There is a new article out there that explains the process in relatively simple terms. I thought I'd post it here for future reference.

See here:

http://www.motivemag.com/pub/feature...s_Wanted.shtml

DOT Vehicle importation Regulations:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/

List of certified importers:

http://www.epa.gov/OMS/imports/icilist.pdf

Supposedly, a good resource with people who have first hand experience is the following Nissan Skyline Forum (I have not checked it, though):

http://forums2.freshalloy.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12
And some more info on the "Gates Law" which Bill Gates used to import his 959:

Originally Posted by schmidtwerk
Big money! You have to perform a full EPA compliance certification and convert the car to DOT specs. Gates law will NOT apply, a 1992 turbo does not meet the standards to qualify for the Gates "show and dispay" DOT only exemption. This exemption applies to vehicles that are considered of technical and historical significant as well as having less than 500 units ever produced. In addition the administrator of the DOT in DC will be the final say. This exemption does NOT include a free EPA pass. The vehicle must still meet EPA standard unless over 21 years in age. This DOES NOT mean it needs to pass your local smog test. It mean the car will go to one of 12 exclusive ICI shops certified by the EPA to demonstrate and modify to meet federal standards. This can get very expensive, even more so when the car does not pass the first series of test and must be modified to pass. Forget about it.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:46 PM
plz
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not just keep it registered in Switzerland? Then when you return in 3 years no reverse import hassles either. Assuming you can insure it with the foreign registration.
The following users liked this post:
Carlton Bale (05-16-2024)
Old 05-31-2009, 04:22 PM
C4S in Rome
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can take it with you to the US on Swiss plates for at least a year - perhaps more if you "leave" to Canada for a day and then come back (no idea on this part but guessing) - I took my US car to Rome on the same rules - I actually live in Zurich now so PM me if you would like to know more on my experience - in any case I did not realize the price drops were so steep here in Switz !
The following users liked this post:
Carlton Bale (05-16-2024)

Quick Reply: Import 997 Turbo to US (How To?)