Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

0-60 in 3.9sec!!! Style and fuel efficient!!! Future of Porsche??? You decide.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 12:27 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Le Chef: Please do no speak of what you have already demonstrated you know zylch. Some of us are engineers and know a thing or two about these issues. Please do not destroy your earned good reputation on many other issues but not this one.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:32 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Le Chef
What are the excuses for not having cost effective electric cars? How many generations does it take? Are you telling me we don't have the brains to crack the problem?
you mean the reasons we don't have electric cars?

there's Physics, Chemistry, Economics, Politics, Demand, limitations of currently available materials.

i often agree with what you say, but i think you should educate yourself a little better here. you sound as if you know very little about the topic.

let me ask you a question. by your chosen Forum name i'll assume you actually are a chef, or at least associated intimately with food preparation (but as always, i could be wrong);

why can't you guys make a great pizza for $.25 ?

why can't i buy a wonderfully prepared Prime Fillet for $.50 ? Maybe with some mushrooms for $.05 ? Hell, we have more arable farmland and herds per capita than anywhere. why is it so expensive? can't you guys think outside the box and get this done?

get the idea ?
Old 05-30-2009, 12:34 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, we have the brains, it's just not cost effective. in today's world, we just don't "need" electric cars. I put "need" in quotes because i want to avoid the sociopolitical discussion. we have 50-100 years of oil depending on who you ask. political pressure and environmental concerns are putting pressure on fuel efficiency in transportation. fine. it is what it is.

the average new car costs $28,400 which is a ton for most people. gas in the US remains dirt cheap compared to ROW because gas taxes are regressive. converting to an all-electric powertrain isn't worth an increase in cost for the majority. for the fringe it is cool, we have Teslas and they're cool and they're fast and they're technologically limited in range and take forever to recharge.

when there's really demand - or even emerging demand, there will be supply. in the mean time, there are tons of ways to increase the efficiency of the fuel we use in automobiles - smaller displacement, less power, diesel, turbos, yada yada.

to say things like we can't put a man on the moon or the like is just nonsensical though. there's more technology in your laptop than we developed to put a man on the moon - and retrieve him safely, by the way.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:45 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

They're excuses for poor thinking. Any fool can design something on a limitless budget and with no conditions. It's the great engineer who can do it despite tight constraints.
one more thing i was taught by an engineer, it's a little different from your words, but much funnier (not that yours aren't funny)

"...anyone can design a device that works, but only an engineer can design a device that barely works..."

anyway, i have to wonder if Ben has seen this. he's generating a lot of restraint if he has!
Old 05-30-2009, 12:48 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by brendorenn
yes, we have the brains, it's just not cost effective. in today's world, we just don't "need" electric cars. I put "need" in quotes because i want to avoid the sociopolitical discussion. we have 50-100 years of oil depending on who you ask. political pressure and environmental concerns are putting pressure on fuel efficiency in transportation. fine. it is what it is.

the average new car costs $28,400 which is a ton for most people. gas in the US remains dirt cheap compared to ROW because gas taxes are regressive. converting to an all-electric powertrain isn't worth an increase in cost for the majority. for the fringe it is cool, we have Teslas and they're cool and they're fast and they're technologically limited in range and take forever to recharge.

when there's really demand - or even emerging demand, there will be supply. in the mean time, there are tons of ways to increase the efficiency of the fuel we use in automobiles - smaller displacement, less power, diesel, turbos, yada yada.

to say things like we can't put a man on the moon or the like is just nonsensical though. there's more technology in your laptop than we developed to put a man on the moon - and retrieve him safely, by the way.
There are also technical reasons:

Chemical storage
- Battery energy density low - leads to heavy cars
- Battery charging time - long or reduced battery life with high current charging reqs.
- Limited raw material harvesting, especially Li and associated environmental issues
E-field- capacitance storage
- expensive fragile dielectrics
- very high voltage reqs w/ associated danger

ICE technology evolving:

Next frontier is electromagnetically controlled valving.
KERS solutions - advanced serial hybrids do make sense.

There's plenty of oil and more to be found. CO2 is NOT a pollutant - whoever says that CO2 is a pollutant has no right to exist, by their own definition. There is no correlation between atmosphere CO2 levels and global warming. There have been periods of time of high CO2 content and low temps and times of low CO2 content and high temps.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:10 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't blame the government, blame the engineers for not being good enough to meet the challenge.
Chef, Chef, Chef.

Bashing engineers again, I see.

How's that flooring design coming, under budget and ahead of schedule?
Old 05-30-2009, 01:34 AM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Kennedy could have said he wanted one of these by the end of the decade....guess what no matter how creative and smart the engineers were
IT WAS NOT GOING TO GET DONE
abe
Attached Images  
Old 05-30-2009, 01:37 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

^^^

It actually took several decades later for our good friend, Jeff (Icon), to do that masterpiece in p-shop.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:05 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all that and no helmet. very nice!
Old 05-30-2009, 03:46 AM
boolala
Race Car

Originally Posted by ADias
....BTW... oil is not a fossil fuel. That is an ancient/wrong concept. Oil is produced, and continues to be produced, deep in the earth's crust at depths of 100 miles - no fossils there.

I don't think that the abiotic theory of the origins of oil has been accepted by all scientists. Probably not even a majority.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:44 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by boolala
I don't think that the abiotic theory of the origins of oil has been accepted by all scientists. Probably not even a majority.
Certain religions are the opium of the people... but facts are facts (proven in the lab).

Quick Reply: 0-60 in 3.9sec!!! Style and fuel efficient!!! Future of Porsche??? You decide.