Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody a little worried about our warranty on the 997s...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 04:25 PM
elh0102
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GM and Chrysler do not have a monopoly on arrogance and stupidity. When the world's governments are through with their respective auto companies, it's going to be a very different industry. My guess, the Japanese will be the least changed, since so much of their production is made up of relatively efficient, inexpensive and boring cars. Those of us who enjoy Porsches, M3s, ZO6s, etc., may be looking for a new hobby.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:20 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 972 Likes on 543 Posts

That Forbes article doesn't sound too good.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:36 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 400 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
That Forbes article doesn't sound too good.
It will all be sorted before June 19.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:49 PM
stevebmd
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what is june 19th....
Old 05-26-2009, 10:51 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that they need to raise some more money by then.

Or else.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:18 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

as anyone who does deals will tell you, sometimes you're WRONG. just happens. perhaps one could call it "arrogance" or "stupidity". but i doubt that many who have reached for the moon and failed will not commiserate with their conundrum. they saw a chance and they took it. since i wasn't there i can't say if it was arrogance or prudence, stupidity or brilliance.

unlike some here, i am really sad to see them facing what apparently amounts to a "margin call" due to their options positions.

yurripeeon options are different from the US flavor and from the article i still don't have a handle on exactly what the problem with their position is. perhaps someone knows? are they calls that they bought and are due to expire worthless? one generally doesn't get a margin call for that. or is that they've paid a high price and now cannot take the stock underlying the option? more like a "future"?

i wouldn't expect Porsche to disappear, the name is just too valuable and there is too much cash in the world. but it is entirely possible that in a decade or so we will look back and it will occur to us that THIS is the Golden Age of Porsche. keep your cars guys... and i wouldn't be going long VW right now
Old 05-26-2009, 11:20 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by stevebmd
what is june 19th....
third Friday of the month. options expire on that day, except certain index options which expire on the Thursday.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:23 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 972 Likes on 543 Posts

Indeed, its not just the golden age for Porsche, but for the automobile in general. Government control, both through financial machinations as well as regulatory burdens, means that the best cars likely every to be produced are being made now and over the next few model years.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:27 PM
braden
Intermediate

funnily enough..with the recent bad news for the marque, we haven't heard anything from the "salesmen" trying to tell us how now is the time to buy their cars....and that the best deals are now. I would bet prices will go down further. The big three are liquidating. porsche is not immune as we see. and if VAG gets involved more (which they will since they are the bailout money) they will firesale the pcars just to get and keep the market
Old 05-26-2009, 11:54 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by allegretto
as anyone who does deals will tell you, sometimes you're WRONG. just happens. perhaps one could call it "arrogance" or "stupidity". but i doubt that many who have reached for the moon and failed will not commiserate with their conundrum. they saw a chance and they took it. since i wasn't there i can't say if it was arrogance or prudence, stupidity or brilliance.

unlike some here, i am really sad to see them facing what apparently amounts to a "margin call" due to their options positions.

yurripeeon options are different from the US flavor and from the article i still don't have a handle on exactly what the problem with their position is. perhaps someone knows? are they calls that they bought and are due to expire worthless? one generally doesn't get a margin call for that. or is that they've paid a high price and now cannot take the stock underlying the option? more like a "future"?

i wouldn't expect Porsche to disappear, the name is just too valuable and there is too much cash in the world. but it is entirely possible that in a decade or so we will look back and it will occur to us that THIS is the Golden Age of Porsche. keep your cars guys... and i wouldn't be going long VW right now
Exactly, even guru Warren Buffet lost billions this year...that's right billions.

Dave
Old 05-27-2009, 12:11 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 400 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
... yurripeeon options are different from the US flavor and from the article i still don't have a handle on exactly what the problem with their position is. perhaps someone knows? are they calls that they bought and are due to expire worthless?
I think that's what it is.

one generally doesn't get a margin call for that. or is that they've paid a high price and now cannot take the stock underlying the option? more like a "future"?

There are consortia of banks behind this who may have created derivative instruments which can trigger sales when the options expire, I imagine. And you are right, PAG may fall but VAG goes down with it - and this is why this will sort itself out.

The Porsche family (both clans) must solve this situation. After all they own the large majority of the Porsche stock and through that 50.8% of VAG.
Wideking is a pawn in this process - after all his boss is Wolfgang who cannot dismiss his responsibility in this whole affair. Piech may be squeezing his cousin's throat right now, but at the end of the day the family will not lose. This will be sorted out well before the 19th of June, or else.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:05 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by braden
funnily enough..with the recent bad news for the marque, we haven't heard anything from the "salesmen" trying to tell us how now is the time to buy their cars....and that the best deals are now. I would bet prices will go down further. The big three are liquidating. porsche is not immune as we see. and if VAG gets involved more (which they will since they are the bailout money) they will firesale the pcars just to get and keep the market
<yawn>

You bet what prices go down? The MSRP? Well, geez I hope so. But doubtful. Actually, considering it's simple supply and demand, I'd think that hell would freeze over before they lower the prices of the car.

More incentives? Well, there again if a company wants to remain financially viable, and it's selling less cars, then that means.............

Use your grey matter.

Fire sale? That's on the dealer network. Not PAG.
PAG has already gotten paid. So did PCNA. But you understood that already, right?

<more yawn>
Old 05-28-2009, 08:08 PM
stevebmd
Racer

devils advocate:

ther is less demand as US sales have decreased. To stay a viable car company porsche will need to support the cars with incentives especailly with the recent bad new from the mothership, no?
Old 05-28-2009, 08:19 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

No. They understand that 'fat needs to be trimmed'. Fat for now equals dealer network. That's what you guys are missing.

You think it's crazy now, just wait. Hearing about the big fish filing bankruptcy is just the begining.

Devils advocate: Ford, Chrysler and GM thought throwing money at cars will SELL cars.

ooops. Think again.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:21 PM
stevebmd
Racer

gotta run what ya brung

Quick Reply: Anybody a little worried about our warranty on the 997s...