Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential Modifications for Tall People: Steering Wheel Extension (?)

Old 10-28-2017, 09:39 PM
too tall
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am 6'8" and installed the 9Products extender. It is exactly what I needed and works perfectly.
Easy install, no modifications to wires etc.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...der-997-a.html
Old 10-29-2017, 09:02 AM
Batman33
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by too tall
I am 6'8" and installed the 9Products extender. It is exactly what I needed and works perfectly.
Easy install, no modifications to wires etc.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...der-997-a.html

too tall, I think you were the one from who I learned about this product. Thanks!
Old 10-29-2017, 09:35 AM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by GiacomoRS
it does
How come the extender from 9product do not need wire extension but the cheaper alternative does [for a 997.1 manual] ?

Or am I reading the cheaper alternative thread incorrectly ?
Old 10-30-2017, 06:19 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

will this work with the pdk wheel with paddles shifters?
Old 10-30-2017, 07:19 AM
GiacomoRS
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lowbee
How come the extender from 9product do not need wire extension but the cheaper alternative does [for a 997.1 manual] ?

Or am I reading the cheaper alternative thread incorrectly ?
Let me explain:

996 986 993 needs horn cable extension.

991 981 requires the whole harness, unless you wish to cut and weld youself up to 12 thin wires.

997 I'm not sure because I never had the chance to install one directly, some buyer told me they didn't need the harness I've sent them in the package. Sadly, I cannot buy each 997 MY to check what's inside the steering wheel, so I sell the kit with harness for every 997 buyer, to avoid double shipment and customer's car stopped days and days in workshop without steering wheel, waiting for the missing harness.
My idea is that early 997 doesn't need the extra wire, and later 997 needs the same harness as 991. But I don't know since which year Porsche did change the lenght of the wires.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:25 AM
GiacomoRS
Track Day

Originally Posted by slicky rick
will this work with the pdk wheel with paddles shifters?
Yes. Inside the steering wheel there is a connector for horn, airbag, steering wheel commands and paddleshift. For example, in a 991 the pins are 12, on a 996 they're less.
If the car has paddleshift, steering wheel buttons for radio and cruise control, all the pins are used. If the car has only horn and airbag, the connector is the same but the pins for those options are left blank from the factory.
So, the spacer is the same, and the harness I provide too. In case the car doesn't have paddleshift and other steering buttons, the extra single wires in the harness won't be used by the car because the corresponding pins inside the car's connectors won't be present.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:42 AM
GiacomoRS
Track Day

Let me spend some more words about the need of the wire extension on 997/991.

Look the pics: the main connector arrives just where the steering wheel has the rectangoular slot. In that position, on the car the steering angle sensor has the corresponding female socket.
Look pic from the inside of the wheel: the wires that reach the connector (inside red squares) aren't long enough even if the spacer would be less than 1" thick.
It's very difficult to handle those wires. Cutting and welding requires time and it's easy to make mistakes. Also, if in the future somebody wish to remove the spacer, the wires are permanently modified. This is why is better fo fit a plug-in harness.

On some cars, the same wires are very long, like 2" or even 3 " more than necessary, and they can cross the whole lenght of the spacer without being stretched.

Some other cars has a middle situation. There are multiple connectors, like 2 or 3. One or 2 has very long wires, and 1 has short wires. In that case it's much easier to cut and extend the wires because usually the short wires are the 2 that makes the airbag works and it takes ten minutes to extend them.
Attached Images   
Old 10-30-2017, 08:24 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

do you have a picture of the harness extension you provide forthe 991/997 owners? can you pm me the price for the extension? hopefully with the rennlist discount..
Old 10-30-2017, 12:01 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Anecdotally, my sport steering wheel has the harness built into the steering wheel frame just like the above. If I ever add an extender, I would need an additional harness extender too. I imagine this is for all the late-997 and early-991 sport steering wheels since they are the same. I've seen 997.1 wheels that do not need an extender and the harness is loose within the airbag void with plenty of room to extend.

If anyone wants to make their own extension it's a piece of cake. Breadboard jumper wires, shrink wrap and a 5x or 10x jumper connector. $15 for a kit with tons of spares here:
http://a.co/cTFhRUl (No affiliation). I did it for my cup car wheel. With the linked kit, you could make an extension in about 20 seconds. Point being, a required wire harness extension should not be a deterent for installing a steering wheel extender. Think of it like an extension cord you use for a shop vac. Same principle.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:15 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Agreed, but working with small items irritates me and I just want to install the carnewal extender after buying it for so much money, if I do buy one, which I think I will.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:57 AM
GiacomoRS
Track Day

The provided harness is the one in the pictures.

It is the same thing you can do yourself with the parts linked by nwGTS, but seen that I don't have the correct tool to make modular 6 pin harnesses, and I don't want to spend load of time manufacturing harnesses to keep in stock for buyers, I went to a local company that supply harnesses for industries and they made a batch for me. I think they can do it both much better and faster than me.
Attached Images  
Old 10-31-2017, 08:58 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by GiacomoRS
The provided harness is the one in the pictures.

It is the same thing you can do yourself with the parts linked by nwGTS, but seen that I don't have the correct tool to make modular 6 pin harnesses, and I don't want to spend load of time manufacturing harnesses to keep in stock for buyers, I went to a local company that supply harnesses for industries and they made a batch for me. I think they can do it both much better and faster than me.
please don’t think I meant your harness was of inferior quality. I simply wanted to provide an easy, effective and robust means of creating a harness extender oneself should one choose a wheel extension solution that shipped sans harness. As a tall dude I welcome any and all solutions that give us much needed knee room and an effective, comfortable, and safe driving position. So thanks for your efforts!
Old 11-03-2017, 12:52 AM
SoCal60
Cruisin'

Giacomo, do you have an extender that fits a 2013 991?
Old 11-03-2017, 08:12 AM
GiacomoRS
Track Day

Hello, sorry all for disappearing. I was busy at work.

I'm not offended at all! Why should I? You nwGTS pointed out that anybody can make himself the harness. And it's correct! I wanted to mean that it's easier to sell a complete kit, with parts that requires easy operations to be fitted, because many people are interested in the spacer but they are stopped from some installation steps that "scare" them because they have never done before, they guess that more skillness than needed is required. One of these is extending the wires, and if I purchase a professional made harness that the buyer can plug-in, they feel safer about the whole product.

I have designed the 991 spacer, but the previous batch is sold out. I'm machining in these days the bew batch, and it will take 10 days to be ready. Maybe a little more.
I must manufacture spacers for other car brands too, and should organize the job on my CNC machines. This makes thing go slower than when I make a single batch for 1 car only, because, for example, I machine all the aluminium first, then clean the CNC lathe, then machine the steel...

I hope everything is clear, my English is not perfect, I don't want to create misunderstandings.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:46 PM
SoCal60
Cruisin'

Giacomo, your English is fine and is much better than my Italian! What is the price for the 991 spacer and is it 2 inches?
Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Potential Modifications for Tall People: Steering Wheel Extension (?)