Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche dealers = snobs??

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 12:21 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

If I'm going to a nice restaurant, I do dress nicely because it's part of the atmosphere. I don't do it for the waitstaff or chef, I do it for the other customers that are trying to have a nice meal just like I am.

However, if I'm walking into a car dealership to purchase a vehicle approaching $100k, I wear whatever I happened to put on that morning. If the salesman doesn't like it, it's no skin off my back--there are plenty of other places that are more than willing to take my money and I'd probably prefer dealing with them anyway.

As a salesman (not cars), I find this "pay to play" talk from a few people ridiculous. I deal with people dressed in suits and I deal with people dressed in dirty work clothes, and I'm more than happy to talk to them all. One of the basics of sales is how to qualify a prospect, and their attire has never been part of that curriculum.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:36 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tooloud10
However, if I'm walking into a car dealership to purchase a vehicle approaching $100k, I wear whatever I happened to put on that morning. If the salesman doesn't like it, it's no skin off my back--there are plenty of other places that are more than willing to take my money and I'd probably prefer dealing with them anyway.
Wrong as it may be, you are naive to think that appearance does not directly relate to ALL sales experiences, especially high end sales. There are only so many Porsche dealerships, fewer Hermes Boutiques, and even fewer AP Boutiques for example. They all certainly want business, but showing proper respect in appropriate appearance and/or dress is very advisable if you really want to do business with them, or soon you'll find that you only have yourself to blame for running out places to shop.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb
It is the biggest BS I ever heard....why the F do we (the buyer) have to dress the part???? We are spending the cash and they (the sales people with their attitude and not even able to get a beater boxster with their ****ty income!) have to stop looking at the outside of their potential costumers! What's next I got to buy a suit to buy a car??

Luckily I never had a problem with snobby sales guys...and I always wear jeans with paint stains and t-shirts with rips and paint stains.....even when I deal with my bank (their suits got them in a boatload of trouble....maybe they should have cared less about impressing and more about the financial mishaps they were creating!!.... If you have 150K to buy a car...you can go naked (well almost!!)...money is power in this country...unlike Europe. and if the sales person doesn't see IT then that is his loss...there are so many dealerships around that we (the consumer) can pick and choose!
So money, doesn't = power in Europe? Hmmmm. I'll have to remember that next time I visit Europe and just act like an ***.

You realize that there's (now, probably *was*) a shed load of sales people whom make upwards of $160k+ a year, right?

Or were you just generalizing?
Old 04-09-2009, 01:01 PM
bbrc76
Advanced

For those who don't like the suggestion about dressing appropriately and scheduling an appointment - you are correct. One of the wonderful things about most modern societies is that you are welcome to conduct yourself as you chose (obviously within reasonable and legal limits). If you don't want to "look the part" you have no obligation.

Sales people are constantly making judgement calls as to how they spend their time (calling prospects vs. reviewing product materials, etc.) If you look the part, you are indicating you are looking to be taken seriously.

Again, this is not a suggestion that you should take cr*p from a sales person acting like a jerk. The suggestion was based on the concept of "the path of least resistance". You can argue all day long as to why you should not have to be carry yourself in a certain manner... you're simply making things harder on yourself.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:14 PM
DanJK
Racer

Originally Posted by jcr22042
Wow, as a salesperson at HBL (Porsche of Tysons) I guess I'm a little shocked at how quickly someone's willing to generally trash a whole dealership based on an experience they've had. I've been here over 8 years, and have an extremely loyal, happy, client base that I've built up with hard work, excellent customer service, product knowledge, and a passion for Porsche. I have not and do not pre-judge a customer by his or her appearance and I think this a basic rule that any wise and halfway successful salesperson must follow. I know most of my collegues are the same way, and our management preaches this at our meetings. Our goal is a happy customer, because we know word of mouth and reputation is more powerful than any advertising campaign. I know our company president, Roger Penske, holds extremely high standards and wouldn't be one of the most respected and successful business leaders if his dealers were "a nightmare" as someone above characterized. Are we perfect? No. We are a large and high volume dealership in a busy area. We will goof up occasionally. And every employee many not be a model one--with 25 salespeople working here, some will be better than others.

Sorry to rant, but I can't sit back and read this thread without comment. I know that you could find an unhappy customer for every dealership in the country, and often they will "post-away" on various message boards. Of course it's a one-sided story, told from one perspective. I am proud of what I do and the service I provide. I know in my heart that I take great care of my clients and prospects. We have a beautiful facility, including an indoor vehicle storage facility on-site which holds hundreds of cars (no gravel storage lots miles away). I work hard, every weekend, many nights, in all weather, taking great care of customers, some lookers, some buyers. So I take offense to the above generalizations. But, I feel better now that I have this off my chest!

Enjoy your Porsche!
What other "perspective" do we have but our own?? Since you called out my "nightmare" reference to HBL, I'd be more than happy to run down the details for everyone from multiple experiences with HBL/Tysons sales staff. My most recent is a classic. Interested?

I'm sure you are the professional you say you are. If I knew your name, I would be sure to visit you before buying my next Porsche. Unfortunately, that type of attitude is not pervasive at HBL. I have a feeling you know that already though.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:21 PM
DanJK
Racer

Originally Posted by jlinmd
Where do you guys get your car serviced in the DC area?
ASG
Old 04-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
So money, doesn't = power in Europe? Hmmmm. I'll have to remember that next time I visit Europe and just act like an ***.

You realize that there's (now, probably *was*) a shed load of sales people whom make upwards of $160k+ a year, right?

Or were you just generalizing?
the money power thing is more evident here than in Europe....ofcourse money is power everywhere in the world...... and yes a lot of sales people make (made) good cash in sales..... depending on their performance!! and when you are an arrogant *** and obviously making the wrong judgements....because you are looking at someones clothing...instead of the other important stuff...attitude and how a certain person carries himself etc you are not making anything..cause you lose your costumer...ofcourse when you dress the part and BS the part you can become a 2nd Madeoff.....
Old 04-09-2009, 02:52 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb
the money power thing is more evident here than in Europe....ofcourse money is power everywhere in the world...... and yes a lot of sales people make (made) good cash in sales..... depending on their performance!! and when you are an arrogant *** and obviously making the wrong judgements....because you are looking at someones clothing...instead of the other important stuff...attitude and how a certain person carries himself etc you are not making anything..cause you lose your costumer...ofcourse when you dress the part and BS the part you can become a 2nd Madeoff.....

Nicolas, well, you're over in kalifornialand.... I wouldnt' be surprised about the sales people there.

Here in Ohio, and on Rennlist (around here somewhere LOL) one of our most 'esteemed' clients always rolls up in his Honda Ridgeline.

Dresses very conservative, and you'd never know (from an outsiders point of view) that he's had many many sports cars. Including, but not limited to a 987 Boxster S, 997mkI GT3, Ferrari 430 Coupes, Spyders and 599 X 2.

Great guy. It's the very arrogant guy who dresses to the nine's that I get suspicious of. - Just being honest.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:59 PM
jlinmd
Racer

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
It's the very arrogant guy who dresses to the nine's that I get suspicious of. - Just being honest.
What about guys who come in with a huge clock hanging from their gold chain?

Old 04-09-2009, 03:23 PM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bbrc76
For those who don't like the suggestion about dressing appropriately and scheduling an appointment - you are correct. One of the wonderful things about most modern societies is that you are welcome to conduct yourself as you chose (obviously within reasonable and legal limits). If you don't want to "look the part" you have no obligation.

Sales people are constantly making judgement calls as to how they spend their time (calling prospects vs. reviewing product materials, etc.) If you look the part, you are indicating you are looking to be taken seriously.

Again, this is not a suggestion that you should take cr*p from a sales person acting like a jerk. The suggestion was based on the concept of "the path of least resistance". You can argue all day long as to why you should not have to be carry yourself in a certain manner... you're simply making things harder on yourself.
Dressing appropriately... I can barely stand to be in a room with someone who's values require a specific dress code. Are we in the Victorian-era England? I do not for one minute buy that carrying yourself properly requires a certain set of clothes and a certain brand of watch.

I agree with being respectful, setting appointments and being assertive with my dealings with a car dealer, but as for a cars salesperson profiling a potential customer solely based on attire before they share one word... that my friends is the mark of an idiot.

And who has time to spend with idiots, even less hand over $100k.

p.s. this was not a flame towards bbrc76, his post was very even handed. I picked his post to quote from because it was the closet to the end of this thread that spoke about "profiling"
Old 04-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Thats the guy Im waitin for in my business!! Ole Flavor Flav....hes got some money.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:12 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

My point exactly, the right timepiece goes a long way to make up for bad attire.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:15 PM
Sadiq
Pro

Originally Posted by todd.
My point exactly, the right timepiece goes a long way to make up for bad attire.
the right timepiece = cell phone for many people You just can't beat an electronic clock that updates itself every single day!
Old 04-09-2009, 05:20 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sadiq
the right timepiece = cell phone for many people You just can't beat an electronic clock that updates itself every single day!
Okay walk in with camo shorts, tank top, no shoes, but be sure to have you Vertu in hand & you're set.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:27 PM
Sadiq
Pro

Originally Posted by todd.
Okay walk in with camo shorts, tank top, no shoes, but be sure to have you Vertu in hand & you're set.
lol exactly what i had in mind! as a side note, how has Vertu survived as a company? hideous overpriced underfunctional cell phones lolz

Quick Reply: Porsche dealers = snobs??