Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Indy vs Dealer fore tires & alignment...

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 04:07 PM
rvklein
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Indy vs Dealer fore tires & alignment...

I have a shop I've used for all of my other cars but they aren't a 'porsche' shop. My dealer wants to charge me 2300 bucks for a set of tires+alignment.

Is there anything special about the carrera where I should have a porsche certified shop handle such job instead of a trustworthy (but not porsche certified) independent?
Old 04-01-2009, 04:32 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Plenty of good independent shops in the Los Angeles area I would trust to do tires & alignment.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:37 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

That's a long drive, Toomey! (He's in Pasadena, MD, not CA!).

I'm local to Wheel Enhancement and have used them exclusively. No need to use the dealer, but I would take care to find a higher-end independent shop that knows what they are doing and uses extra care. (I once had a bad experience with a discount tire place that mounted a new tire on a rim out of round.)
Old 04-01-2009, 04:41 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jcnesq
That's a long drive, Toomey! (He's in Pasadena, MD, not CA!).

I'm local to Wheel Enhancement and have used them exclusively. No need to use the dealer, but I would take care to find a higher-end independent shop that knows what they are doing and uses extra care. (I once had a bad experience with a discount tire place that mounted a new tire on a rim out of round.)
I saw that I was just making the point that IMO didn't need to go to the dealer.

I have used WE & GMG and also just used a shop near me in Santa Clarita for a mount & balance.

The only bad alignment I have ever had was done at the dealer.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:45 PM
rvklein
Racer

Great to know. I'll use the family run Indy that works on all my other cars.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:48 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 158 Posts

It's been my experience that the last place you'd want to take your Porsche for an alignment is the dealer - any dealer.
The independent shops that specialize in alignment are far more likely to have someone who knows what they're doing - and they'll usually have more modern alignment equipment (lasers and cool stuff like that ).
Old 04-01-2009, 05:05 PM
rvklein
Racer

On another note, I hear guys talk all the time of the caymans & boxsters they get as loaners.

I got a Taurus..
Old 04-01-2009, 05:17 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Forget the dealer for good prices on the tires and for a quality alignment. I've never received a good alignment at any dealer.

I take my Porsche to Vortex in Tampa...there are plenty of Porsche shops all over...to get a quality alignment and talk over the specs with the guy doing the alignment.

Look in your area for a high end Porsche shop that probably services track and race cars. they will have the knowhow and equipment to do a perfect alignment.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:44 PM
rvklein
Racer

TPC is local to me. Maybe I should try them. I'll talk to my mechanic first.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:59 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another good way to find top tire shops is to go to the Hunter web site and figure out who has their best equipment in your area. Or ask at your PCA chapter (you are a member, aren't you?). You want someone who can balance these big wheels and low profile tires without damaging the rims, and its nice if they can place the weights where they aren't visible from the outside of the wheel, etc. Sometimes you can find that careful guy at a Costco or regular tire shop, sometimes it has to be a real specialty shop.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:21 PM
MJPereira
Instructor

Get your tires from Tirerack.com. They'll cost you a lot less and they'll ship to any installation place you'd like.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:29 PM
997, esq
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be careful with Tire Rack's installers. I had a very incompetent installer screw up my Audi's rims and alignment. I think I'll hit Wheel Enhancement or similar specialty place, when it's time for my new tires.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:39 PM
MJPereira
Instructor

They'll ship it anywhere. So find the place you like and have the tires shipped their. Doesn't have to be one of their installers.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:21 PM
tejoe
Advanced

911S ---Just for the hell of it I asked your question 18 months ago; MY DEALER ( the sales manager) told me to take it to a good indy for tire/alignment issues. "They have the experience." A couple of grubby guys treated my car like a new mother and the wheels and tires like a baby; I could not have been more impressed.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:06 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you won't get a decent deal on tires from the dealer but my local dealer, Barrier, does great alignments with all the latest do-hickeys.

with the exception of the Bridgestone availabilty issues last year for the 911 sizes, i swear by tire rack. i only wish they carried toyo's for my R888's

Quick Reply: Indy vs Dealer fore tires & alignment...